Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii/360/PS3

Options
  • 12-05-2006 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

So now that we've seen and heard all there is at E3 what is everyone's opinion on the 3 contenders?

Personally I was very impressed with the Wii and the rumoured price means it will probably be the 1st console I buy at launch (not incl the DS).

Sony has priced themselves out of the market IMO. Although I thought that whent he PS2 was released. It will be interesting to see the demand for it when it releases but suffice to say it will be a few years and some quality games before I consider hooking it up to my telly.

The Xbox 360 looks promising. If there is a price drop soon I will def be investing, and I imagine that will prb happen at some stage in Novemeber...

So by the next E3 I'll prob have a 360/Wii (Still sounds weird :))

SP

Which impressed you the most? 187 votes

Wii
    0%
    PS3
    71%
    GonzodeRangedwhitetrashQ_BallFidelisJimi-SpandexBalfaPHBK!LL!@NBlitzKriegpo0kZombrexDont be at yourselfBrerrabbitIvanMatt SimisTheFatPugsleyGoneShootinMakaveli 134 votes
    Xbox 360
    12%
    satchmoSimiazezilbyterabbitinlightsCorben DallasDoodah7yawnstretchweemcdstevenmuBig EarsPacificoCinaPiZaRR-0UnknownLookingForJimboo_JonesIceHawkshortys94Thomas_S_Hunterson 24 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    15%
    StephenastrofoolPraetorianDoodeesuper_furryGrayareadloobSeekerpeterk19Ri_NollaigstevieczodHeadshotMorf3hShiverinEskimomcgovernrobinphmikemacfranmanKenny_D 29 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

PS3
    Wii for me to be honest, it seems to be gunning for the best line up of launch titles ever, so i think i might also finally get a console at launch.

The PS3 and X-box 360 look impressive graphics wise and all those special features etc. but i can't help feel that the majority of games will be available for both consoles making the Xbox a more obvious choice considering the price.

I don't like Sony's approach to this console, taking everyone else's ideas and gluing them together in one mighty expensive bundle. Of course if you take all the items individually its worth the price but i want a console to play games and pretty much games only, 600 quid is far too much for a games console. However, in a few years or so i'm sure it'll have many triple A titles and i'll probably consider one then.

But for now it'll just be a wii, might buy myself a new tv for it too (but not a HD one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

PS3
    I was always going to buy the Wii, but what really impresses me is the (for once) spectacular launch line up (plus the interactivity levels of the controller/wand, hopefully doing what the DS did for me to get me back into gaming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

PS3
    Wii for me :) . It'll also be the very first console I get at launch. I'll also get the XBOX 360 when a price drop happens. I can't see myself owning a PS3 for a long long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Wii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

Xbox 360
    the ps3 is the only console to have blu-ray games now that is just the top of the ice berg with what it can do.

the ps3 has takan so long to make just shows how much effort they have put into it

if the price was 700 i would still pay it.

the console's abilitys have more then all of the other console's put together

the blu ray beats them all alone

the ps3 will be the best next gen console to hit this planet and most people are decided to wait for a price drop

there wont be a price drop the stuff that they have put into it make it more the a console but rather a pc for that matter and has a hardrive that does not have to be bought seperatly

all the stuff inside the machine is worth the 500 smackarooos or the 600 euro one with a 60 gig hard drive

the games will blow so many people's minds they will run put and buy one straight away

altough saying that i would have to say the wii does look pretty ****in brilliant and i will get that at launch aswell

but iam waiting for the xbox 360 to drop in price in better soon

or someone can go see me trading and trade me one Please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

PS3
    Wii ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I hope this thread is nice.

Atari Jaguar FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PS3
    Wii.
    My reasons:
    1. I'm a Nintendo fangirl
    2. Zelda and Metroid at launch (see 1.)
    3. Most likely a lot cheaper
    4. Xbox 360 doesn't have enough games that interest me yet
    5. PS3 is stupidly expensive, and again not enough games that interest me (except Final Fantasy 13)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

PS3
    The Wii for its controller, price and Metroid Prime: Corruption! *rubs niblets*

I might get Twilight Princess too. I never really got into the Zelda games, but I really enjoyed A Link To The Past and what little I played of my friend's Wind Waker.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

PS3
    Already have a 360. Had a great showing at E3 with Gears of War, Fable 2 and Halo3. (pity about Shadowrun though. FPS? C'mon :()

Wii was amazing though, it'll become the ultimate party console, and the Smash Bros. announcement just made it all the better. The music in it is being composed by the former Final Fantasy composer, and it will all be orchestrated. I can't wait to hear the Zelda theme on the obligitory Hyrule arena :DSSBB Trailer

The PS3 though, ugh, it was a trainwreck of epic proportions. The PS3 (IMO) can't do for Bluray what the PS2 did for DVD. There just aren't enough HDTVs in consumer's hands, and driving the price so high by including it was a mistake of epic proportions. I still want to play Heavenly sword, FFXIII and MGS4 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

PS3
    I'm looking forward to be a Wiier as it just looks damn good fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PS3
    I`ll be picking up the Wii first. XBox360 has done pretty much nothing to impress me, and the PS3 is far too expensive. I`ll pick one up when the price drops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

PS3
    1. I'm a Nintendo fangirl

rainbow kirby is a girl?!?

[REALITY SHATTERING]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 is the only console to have blu-ray games now that is just the top of the ice berg with what it can do.
    And blu ray makes what difference to games?
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 has takan so long to make just shows how much effort they have put into it
    Not necessarily a good thing, mabye they were having trouble with it
    madmike18 wrote:
    the console's abilitys have more then all of the other console's put together
    That we have to pay extra for, whether they improve games or not
    madmike18 wrote:
    the blu ray beats them all alone
    Ummm, how?
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 will be the best next gen console to hit this planet and most people are decided to wait for a price drop
    LOL
    madmike18 wrote:
    the games will blow so many people's minds they will run put and buy one straight away
    :rolleyes: Nothing I've seen yet has come anywhere near doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Atari Jaguar
    :D have 360, prolly get wii first, but ps3 will be bought before the end of 2007 *me hopes for cash*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

PS3
    Have a 360 already, great console tho held back by handfull of average games with a few really great ones. Th E3 360 stuff looks great tho.

Wii on the other hand (despite the name that will likely do it some harm), looks great.. that SSBM trailer is brillient!

PS3, cant see how an increased capacity storage medium is going to make it great. Get the feeling a lot of people dont quite know what Blu Ray actually is.. but PS3 really just is missing so many marks and with those ridiculous statements by their Senior Management they are setting themselves up for a fall.

Matt

Atari Jaguar
    Matt Simis wrote:
    Have a 360 already, great console tho held back by handfull of average games with a few really great ones. Th E3 360 stuff looks great tho.

Wii on the other hand (despite the name that will likely do it some harm), looks great.. that SSBM trailer is brillient!

PS3, cant see how an increased capacity storage medium is going to make it great. Get the feeling a lot of people dont quite know what Blu Ray actually is.. but PS3 really just is missing so many marks and with those ridiculous statements by their Senior Management they are setting themselves up for a fall.

Matt

Good point man, but at the end of the day, joe soap gamers will probably just go for the playstation badge tbh. Unless they realise, I could save myself €100-200, and just buy a 360 for gta. But I doubt that will happen-majority of people (especially in Ireland) will go for the brand they know. Playstation is just a huge worldwide symbol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

PS3
    I already have my 360 and love it so defo will be looking after a Wii next, no way am i payin 600€ for a ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

PS3
    wii, love Zelda, not a big fps console fan but metroid, red steel seem like a worthwhile buy. Also SMBB looks totally kickass. Can't wait to KO ppl online with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Ciaran500 wrote:
    And blu ray makes what difference to games?

well the disks can hold over then times the amount of data a dvd can, i think

so it should result in bigger games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PS3
    Stalfos wrote:
    wii, love Zelda, not a big fps console fan but metroid, red steel seem like a worthwhile buy. Also SMBB looks totally kickass. Can't wait to KO ppl online with it as well.
    I see I'm not the only one who thinks that SSBB is going to be holy-bat****-amazing then :)
    I can see myself losing years to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

PS3
    My friend is already planning his future SMB:Brawl pwning fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

steady on there EVENT, the initial blu ray discs for ps3 will only be
    about 25gb if fully used , (current d-layer dvd bout 9gb)

the higher capacity ones are only in the research stage at the moment afaik

( ah remember when u used to get 10mb games on a 650mb cd ....:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Xbox 360
    I was most impressed by ps3. But it's far too pricey for me to even consider buying in the short or long term. It really isn't worth €200 more than a 360 just for bluray.

I'd probably go with a 360 if there was a price drop, maybe even if there wasn't. The fact that the 360 will have Halo 3 and GTA IV next year might actually make it worth buying then. I was also impressed by Gears of War and Fable 2.

And i'm not a nintendo fanboy so i probably won't be getting a Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3
    event wrote:

But they don't even use all the space on a DVD 9 and most games still fit on a DVD5. Even GTA: SA and Oblivion two of the biggest recent games were about 4gb each.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PS3
    Marketing works I guess, people always search for the bigger and better. If the PS3 has more disk capacity than others, it's got to be the best, right ?

Atari Jaguar
    zabbo wrote:
    Marketing works I guess, people always search for the bigger and better. If the PS3 has more disk capacity than others, it's got to be the best, right ?

For the feeble minded people ;) same type of people who think if something is more expensive, it has to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

PS3
    I wasn't impressed by the PS3 this time round. The Wii most definitely, and the 360 I already have, and they showed a few great games in the pipeline for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i am waititng till they are all out before deciding on which way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

event wrote:

maybe, but not necessarily,the bigger more complex environments that we can see emerging on current gen (pc and x360 anyways) means more work in terms of design, art etc. all of the triple A titles from now on are only going to have to push that further if they truly want to impress the graphics hungry people, that means more work for artists and level designers and a longer development time, this doesn't exactly mean bigger (as in longer) stroylines tho.
    As phil Harrison said (on blu ray) the extra capacity means more complex and bigger textures can be stored on these disks, i'm sure he's alluding to the fact that it also means bigger games but i still have a feeling that, while the majority of games for the next gen will look a lot better, and may be be more immersive because they look a lot better ,still won't be that much bigger in terms of feasible story length than what we have at the moment.
    Unless of course the studios are willing to spend upwards of 3 years on a game,and have the budget and people needed.

Advertisement