Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii/360/PS3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3
    But disc space isn't the reason textures are compressed and are limited in what size they can be. If that was the case we'de be seeing PC games come on multiple DVD's

The higher qulaity these texturs/sounds/enviroments are the more RAM they need and the longer it takes to load these into the RAM and process them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

PS3
    Simi wrote:
    And i'm not a nintendo fanboy so i probably won't be getting a Wii.
    You really think that's the only reason to get a Wii?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

PS3
    Lower end model of PS3 HDD non-upgradeable AND lacks bluetooth controller support? Among others...

Article (Take it all with a pinch of salt, infact, I am 99% sure it's not fact)

Offical word, guess the article is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But disc space isn't the reason textures are compressed and are limited in what size they can be. If that was the case we'de be seeing PC games come on multiple DVD's

The higher qulaity these texturs/sounds/enviroments are the more RAM they need and the longer it takes to load these into the RAM and process them.

good point.. but that wasn't all of my point, i simply mean bigger game with bigger story and more environments = more people or more dev time or both..I work as a designer(not for games) and it's simple math bigger the job longer the design time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

PS3
    whee

Neither of the other two interest me. I don't have 2K to buy a proper TV. I'd rather see more of this planet with the money tbh.

P3s is fncked in my eyes. X360 isn't a whole lot better. Same sh1t, prettier graphics. I have my PC for 'serious' gaming, modded xbox (and soon GC) for pricking about with homebrew scene releases, and soon the wii for casual gaming.

The Revolution Will Not Be In HiDef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Atari Jaguar
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 is the only console to have blu-ray games now that is just the top of the ice berg with what it can do.
    You do know that this is the reason Sony can only supply 5000 consoles to Ireland on launch and 50,000 to England?Blue-Ray shortages and technical difficulties.Plus, do you even know what Blue-Ray does?
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 has takan so long to make just shows how much effort they have put into it
    So did the 360 and the Wii.
    Do you know why the PS3 is coming out in November?It would have come out last November but Sony had so many problems with Blue-Ray that it was delayed to Spring, and now Q4 of 2006 because of Blue-Ray problems.
    madmike18 wrote:
    if the price was 700 i would still pay it.
    Well then you are a very silly person.For 700 you could buy a 360 and a Wii.With that you would get two different playing experiences and a choice of a wider range of games.Looking at the Ps3's menu and dashboard it has just been lifted from the PSP, I woudn't pay that for something where everything isnt entirely innovative
    madmike18 wrote:
    the console's abilitys have more then all of the other console's put together
    Are you serious?Back this thoery up somehow.Oh wow, it has three more USB ports!Another Ethernet port and the ever troublesome BLUE-RAY!
    madmike18 wrote:
    the blu ray beats them all alone
    You have to be joking?Have you been misinformed?
    Many games dont even fill half the disc of a DVD 9Gig
    madmike18 wrote:
    the ps3 will be the best next gen console to hit this planet and most people are decided to wait for a price drop
    How do you know this?How can you possibly say it will be the best at this current time without being influence by fanboyism.The Xbox 360 beats it on the power and proccessing front and the Wii on interactivity.Wouldnt you love to get two consoles for the same price as one?
    madmike18 wrote:
    there wont be a price drop the stuff that they have put into it make it more the a console but rather a pc for that matter and has a hardrive that does not have to be bought seperatly
    e
    But the HD cannot be removed can it?
    Wouldnt someone rather buy the 360 and get the new 60Gig Hard-drive coming out this month?Price:€450(€300+€150)Beats the Ps3's lower priced deal.
    madmike18 wrote:
    all the stuff inside the machine is worth the 500 smackarooos or the 600 euro one with a 60 gig hard drive
    So it is in the 360 but not in the Wii.The Wii is not worth €250.It should be worth more.

madmike18 wrote:
    the games will blow so many people's minds they will run put and buy one straight away
    Ha, you now have to be joking?Have you been brainwashed by the CGI and FMV?Go look at the Downhill game.Changed a bit since last E3 right?The 360 has better graphical power and is only beaten by the Ps3 on Floating Terraflops.The amount of triangles that can be put on screen.The Wii has the power to blow peoples minds.
    madmike18 wrote:
    altough saying that i would have to say the wii does look pretty ****in brilliant and i will get that at launch aswell
    Theres a good Playstation fanboy
    madmike18 wrote:
    but iam waiting for the xbox 360 to drop in price in better soon
    Let me get this straight, you are willing to buy a Ps3 for 700 but not a 360 for €300 or €400?

I have a 360 and will get a Wii.If I have enough I'll get the Ps3 also but just so I can get a few games like another ICO sequel or God of War

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Atari Jaguar
    hairball wrote:
    good point.. but that wasn't all of my point, i simply mean bigger game with bigger story and more environments = more people or more dev time or both..I work as a designer(not for games) and it's simple math bigger the job longer the design time

And you think developers, (mainly multiplatform developers) are gonna spend more time on the ps3 version, adding more content to games, purely because they can? fu€k no. The dvd format is still more than enough for games to fit. Blu-ray has almost no significance, and even 2-3 years down the road, will you think looking back, that the blu-ray selling point was worth the hype? I doubt it tbh.

And you think developers, (mainly multiplatform developers) are gonna spend more time on the ps3 version, adding more content to games, purely because they can? fu€k no. The dvd format is still more than enough for games to fit. Blu-ray has almost no significance, and even 2-3 years down the road, will you think looking back, that the blu-ray selling point was worth the hype? I doubt it tbh.
    ..exactly....i dunno, maybe it's a good thing in the sense that barring first party and system exclusives, the third party developers will need to think harder about porting from one console to another given that each of the next gen machines are so different this time around...ah who am i kidding?, we're still gonna end up with the same lazy ports from third parties with little gimmicks such as half arsed compatability with the wii controller shoehorned in.
    This also means tho that the one with the best exclusive content is gonna be the one that walks away with the sales, this time more than ever i reckon.

Atari Jaguar
    hairball wrote:
    ..exactly....i dunno, maybe it's a good thing in the sense that barring first party and system exclusives, the third party developers will need to think harder about porting from one console to another given that each of the next gen machines are so different this time around...ah who am i kidding?, we're still gonna end up with the same lazy ports from third parties with little gimmicks such as half arsed compatability with the wii controller shoehorned in.
    This also means tho that the one with the best exclusive content is gonna be the one that walks away with the sales, this time more than ever i reckon.

multiformat games will be alot different this time around, all consoles so different like you said, wii controller will cause difficulties, as will the no-rumble (LOL) and 6 points of tilt ps3 pad. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Atari Jaguar
    me get 360 when able to chip it :D

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    awhir wrote:
    me get 360 when able to chip it :D

they already have a hack.

No homebrew software or games, but you can play backups. The hack involves reflashing the dvd drives firmware to bypass the mediaflag and xbe security on each gamedisc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

PS3
    I love the way a few months ago everyone pretty much expected to ps3 to come along and kill off the other consoles and now the 360 looks like its going to be very hard to catch up with assuming they can meet their 10m terget before the ps3 gets into the shops. The fact that people where queing to get into the nintendo stand and not the sony one at e3 is hilerious.

Now all the fan boys can talk about is blu ray as if it was some how able to do something amazing, like swaping a second disc into the 360 was some how impossible or running it all off the hard drive couldnt be done.

At this point the ps3 is looking like times are going to be tough and imo its going to go the same way as the psp is with the ds, pushing a rubbish format that noone is really bothered with and getting beaten by an inferior console graphics wise with better titles.

I see the 360 and the wii co exist both aimed at different markets and sony gonig the way of all the other unstopable console makers of the past, atari, commadore, sega etc. Being number one in the games market has always led to big problems trying to keep on top and sonys financial problems as a whole mean it no longer has the money to just dump in and buy its way into market share in the way microsoft are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Xbox 360
    Wii.
    Would have gone for the PS3 but christ! 600 big ones? Way too much to pay for a games console.
    Nintendo seem to be the only people actively innovating and encouraging new types of games. I've also always felt slightly guilty for never owning a Mario game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Xbox 360
    For me it's going to be a PS3, it is the most expensive by a long way, but it offers much more value to me at least.

Despite what many people say Blu-Ray is an important feature for me, it probably won't make a huge difference for games, certainly not for a few years, but it will for movies. I don't have a HDTV yet, but I will in the next 2/3 years and when I do I'll have a HD player sitting there ready to go without having to buy any add-ons. Also it'll play movies at the full 1080p and reportedly the x360 add-on will only handle 720p ?

The biggest feature for me, assuming it is still going to be included, will be the ability to run Linux on it. Assuming it does come with Linux and it's fully open to installing new and homebrew software, the PS3 will act as a fully featured PC. This ability is something none of the others can touch. Combining this with the upgradeable hard disc, or USB attached drives, network connectivity and a TV and surround speakers it'll make for a very powerfull media PC fitting nicely into the sitting room.

And on top of all that, the games should be pretty good too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

PS3
    Nintendo for me but I would consider an Xbox360 down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Atari Jaguar
    stevenmu wrote:
    For me it's going to be a PS3, it is the most expensive by a long way, but it offers much more value to me at least.

Despite what many people say Blu-Ray is an important feature for me, it probably won't make a huge difference for games, certainly not for a few years, but it will for movies. I don't have a HDTV yet, but I will in the next 2/3 years and when I do I'll have a HD player sitting there ready to go without having to buy any add-ons. Also it'll play movies at the full 1080p and reportedly the x360 add-on will only handle 720p ?

The biggest feature for me, assuming it is still going to be included, will be the ability to run Linux on it. Assuming it does come with Linux and it's fully open to installing new and homebrew software, the PS3 will act as a fully featured PC. This ability is something none of the others can touch. Combining this with the upgradeable hard disc, or USB attached drives, network connectivity and a TV and surround speakers it'll make for a very powerfull media PC fitting nicely into the sitting room.

And on top of all that, the games should be pretty good too :)

The 360 HD-DVD add-on will cost €100 and will run 420p,720i,1080i and then 720p.

In case you do not know, 720p is better than 1080i.Next is 1080p.But alas, unless you are willing to buy a tv worth €6000 you are not going to get 1080p.1/67(TeamPlanet did researched) HDTV's have it.Also, Blue-Ray movies?HD-DVD's are already beating Blue-Ray,you wont have every movie.Already over 20 production companys have vowed to support HD-DVD while Blue-Ray stands at 5.One of which being Sony themselves.The Blue-Ray in film terms will suffer the fate of the UMD in the next three or four years.It will lose support.

Also regards the Ps3's linux, you will have to hack it in order to load homebrew software to it.It is limited.

This was also just announced regarding the availability of Ps3s in Ireland and Britain
    Sony won't be releasing the 20GB version of its PS3 when the console launches in the UK and Ireland on 17 November, according to one high street retailer.

Sony announced at its E3 conference on Monday that it would be launching its PS2 successor in two different versions - a premium, 60GB hard drive package and a less expensive 20GB version that, in addition to the smaller storage device, would also lack some key features.

However, while UK and Irish games store gamestation is already offering pre-orders for Sony's new machine, its customers are only able to put a holding deposit down on the more expensive 60GB model, which it has marked up at a price of £425(€599).

When we contacted gamestation to ask why it wasn't taking pre-orders for the 20GB deal, we were told in no uncertain terms that it was because Sony wouldn't be releasing the slightly more wallet-friendly bundle in the UK and Ireland.

We weren't offered any explanation as to why the 20GB would be unavailable, so we'll just have to wait for Monday morning when Sony will hopefully throw some light on the matter.

What I like about the Ps3?Surfing the net on the console.Nice addition.There is a survey on Xbox.com at the moment asking would you like this for the 360!
    Wii for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    Well I already have a 360 and I'm very happy with it, I know I'm going to buy the other two aswell though, althought probably not at launch.

All the consoles have good and bad points.

Live, the Marketplace and the Media Centre features are huge to the 360. The others are trying to copy them but neither have the sort of infrastructure Microsoft have and obviously the sort of Vista integration MS are planning is simply impossible for anyone else to match. As of right now they have the strongest library of games looking forward too, but thats to be expected with the head start they have. In the long run they could once again fall behind Sony in third party support from Japan and there is a danger that the 360 could get shown up as technically inferior to the PS3 in some games, particularly in terms of storage, also in terms of what the joypad can do and maybe in terms of processing power, although that will take time to be determined.

Sony have a mountain to climb after the price announcement and the amount of bad press they've been getting. However the PS2 was far more expensive than its competition and it never hurt. Sony have some of the most talented in house games developers in the world, some very popular established franchises and a huge number of loyal customers. Their joypad looks fantastic and could give them an edge over MS depending on what developers do with it, and the same goes for the Cell and Blu Ray. Their E3 press conference was poor, but they've a lot of time before launch and at the end of the day, regardless of hardware, its all about the games and thats where Sony have always delivered best.

Then the Wii is a completely different proposition. I'm less enticed by it now than I was before E3. The controller can potentially open up new types of gameplay, but the best game Nintendo had to show for it was a Gamecube game with gesture recognition replacing buttons. That's not a revolution. The new Mario game sounds great though, and the new Monkey Ball is perfectly suited to the controller. Other than that there seemed to be too many gimmicks for my liking. Hopefully there'll be some more interesting titles announced in future that really take advantage of the controller instead of a mixture of short lived gimmicks and shoe-horning it into genres that were always designed for a joypad.

At E3, both Nintendo and Microsoft impressed while Sony lost the PR war. But when you read past the headlines there's a lot of very positive hands on reports about the PS3 and I do feel the anticipation will really start to build over the coming months. It'll be this time next year before anywone can make real predictions.

PS3
    rip2roar wrote:
    The 360 HD-DVD add-on will cost €100 and will run 420p,720i,1080i and then 720p.
    Any source?

Atari Jaguar
    rip2roar wrote:
    Sony won't be releasing the 20GB version of its PS3 when the console launches in the UK and Ireland on 17 November, according to one high street retailer.

Sony announced at its E3 conference on Monday that it would be launching its PS2 successor in two different versions - a premium, 60GB hard drive package and a less expensive 20GB version that, in addition to the smaller storage device, would also lack some key features.

However, while UK and Irish games store gamestation is already offering pre-orders for Sony's new machine, its customers are only able to put a holding deposit down on the more expensive 60GB model, which it has marked up at a price of £425(€499).

When we contacted gamestation to ask why it wasn't taking pre-orders for the 20GB deal, we were told in no uncertain terms that it was because Sony wouldn't be releasing the slightly more wallet-friendly bundle in the UK and Ireland.

We weren't offered any explanation as to why the 20GB would be unavailable, so we'll just have to wait for Monday morning when Sony will hopefully throw some light on the matter.

This is stating that we're getting the premium pack for €499 over here? That would be fantastic news if true.

PS3
    £425 = €622 so I doubt we will get it for €500

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Damnit! Getting my hopes up like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

PS3
    Since when is gamestation in Ireland (or are they referring to NI)?

Would be great if they did make the leap, been to their Edinburgh and Birmingham shops and their retro section kicks ass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

rip2roar wrote:
    Blue-Ray movies?HD-DVD's are already beating Blue-Ray,you wont have every movie.Already over 20 production companys have vowed to support HD-DVD while Blue-Ray stands at 5.One of which being Sony themselves.The Blue-Ray in film terms will suffer the fate of the UMD in the next three or four years.It will lose support.

??
    blu-ray isn't even shipped yet. i think there are 2 blu-ray players available in japan for nerds, with no movie titles at all. as for the movie companies, those 5 happen to be the 5 largest companies, who own everything (literally, everything... even you). as for hd-dvd's reported 20 studio's that support it, well, after a bit of googling, i can tell you most of them are small studios are don't release anything on the scale of the majors like warner and universal. an indie studio wont make or break a format
    rip2roar wrote:
    Also regards the Ps3's linux, you will have to hack it in order to load homebrew software to it.It is limited.

if you had to hack it to run homebrew it'd be a stupid idea for sony to include compilers, wouldn't it?

the only ones who won't release on HD-dvd will be sony pictures...as for blu-ray..who knows?
    all i know is i'm damned if i'm buying two different formats because some studios support one and other studios a second

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

PS3
    wii!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I own a 360 and while I have been a little disappointed with the lack of many truely awesome titles I do expect the games range and quality to improve as the rest of 2006 unfolds, I have no intention of starting that waiting game again with the PS3, making do with a selection of launch titles, waiting the usual 4/5 months until the publishers deem there enough consoles in circulation to make their releasing of a big title economically viable.
    The Wii will be my next purchase this year, that and a DS lite to replace mt original one, Wii simply looks like it will have the edge on original, novel gaming, and even if I am stuck with nothing but the launch titles for the first 6 months, who cares with titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda Twilight Pincess.

Looks like Moore was right, for the price of a PS3 you can own a 360 and a Wii ensuring no aspect of the next gen of gaming gets past you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Xbox 360
    rip2roar wrote:
    I'd be very surprised if it costs that little given the current prices of HD-DVD players (granted the silicon already inside the x360 will cut the cost of it a lot) and the fact that the cost of the BR drive in the PS3 is rumoured to account for anywhere between €200 and €300 of the consoles price.
    rip2roar wrote:
    In case you do not know, 720p is better than 1080i.Next is 1080p.But alas, unless you are willing to buy a tv worth €6000 you are not going to get 1080p.1/67(TeamPlanet did researched) HDTV's have it.
    With the newer flat planel technologies coming on stream in the next 2 to 3 years, 1080p won't command the same premium it does now.
    rip2roar wrote:
    Also, Blue-Ray movies?HD-DVD's are already beating Blue-Ray,you wont have every movie.Already over 20 production companys have vowed to support HD-DVD while Blue-Ray stands at 5.One of which being Sony themselves.The Blue-Ray in film terms will suffer the fate of the UMD in the next three or four years.It will lose support.
    The format war, like all format wars will come down to a combination of content and install base. As has already been mentioned, the studios which have signed up to BR have a huge amount of the mainstream content. Also, unless HD-DVD players sell far more than is expected, the BR install base will easily exceed it early next year thanks to the PS3, which will sell by the bucket load no matter what.
    rip2roar wrote:
    That would go against everything they've been saying about it. It seems that Linux is not integral to the other functions of the PS3, it's an add on to let you use it as a personal computer, i.e. running your own software. (edit: I will be waiting for more definite details on this before deciding to buy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

PS3
    Wii,

Mostly cause I'm a Nintendo fanboy and the low price. Not sure about the new Mario game though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have there not been comments by industry insiders who have been burnt by the very low sales of UMD movies, the expectation for them is for Blu-ray to go the same way.
    I only thing guaranteed is that someone is going to wind up with a very expensive cd player, once which ever format, blu-ray or HDdvd gets picked up enmass and the other dropped.
    Bugger its media applications, the only thing that should matter to gamers are the games, not if its going to play your HD edition of Star Wars.

Advertisement