Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii/360/PS3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

PS3
    Madmike and his blue-ray, loel. Everytime he talks about the ps3 its hilarious. Good stuff.

Its wii for mii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

PS3
    SyxPak wrote:

Nice, who knows, maybe Nintendo will shock everyone and be the sales leader!.... maybe :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Atari Jaguar
    already have a 360 but might pick up a wii if this motion-sensor plays as good as it looks in the videos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

PS3
    That DailyTech piece is amazing, Nintendo have, by the looks of things so far, pulled off a masterstroke; their low price and claims to be out of competition with Sony and MS has led to BOTH companies almost telling their customers to buy Nintendo (too).
    I said a while back to a friend (and I repeated it here) that nintendo could easily make second place, perhaps even first, if they become everyone's second choice console... it seems like SOny and MS don't see ninty as a threat anymore... brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

PS3
    well I have watched all the E3 coverage, and Im amazed to say that I was most impressed with the Nintendo Revolution or wii or whatever theyre calling it now.

Honestly I was really stoked about the ps3 and really was excited about it even with the hefty price tag, but the games look so meh nothing special really over and above the xbox 360, and I could not care less about the blue tooth, and where is a playable moe of killzone 2?, its was not there it just makes me feel like last years version was a prerendered cut scene, and I dont like to be coned like that.

but wii really felt fresh and interesting and with resident evil coming first for it with the cool controller support that clinches it for me, ill be buying it the day its released and have a wait and see attitude to the ps3, the ps3 games better be **** hot to justify the price tag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

PS3
    Wii for me. It's definitely the most interesting of the three.

I wasn't interested in the original Xbox and the 360 doesn't look that much different to it apart from better graphics. A lot of the games I'd want on it are multi-format anyway.

The PS3 is too over-priced to even consider, when the price drops considerably I'd consider getting it because my PS2 still gets a lot of use these days. I definitely want to play FFXIII at some point and there a few other PS specific series that I like.

The Wii looks affordable, fun, different and the games on show were the ones that interested me most. I've always been a big Nintendo fan so I would have been interested in it regardless but I'm genuinely excited about the new controller and I can't wait to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

PS3
    flogen wrote:
    That DailyTech piece is amazing, Nintendo have, by the looks of things so far, pulled off a masterstroke; their low price and claims to be out of competition with Sony and MS has led to BOTH companies almost telling their customers to buy Nintendo (too).
    I said a while back to a friend (and I repeated it here) that nintendo could easily make second place, perhaps even first, if they become everyone's second choice console... it seems like SOny and MS don't see ninty as a threat anymore... brilliant.
    Aye, even just looking at this thread it's glaringly obvious that the vast majority of people are fully planning on getting a Wii, be it as a secondary system or not.

*Gasp* Maybe we'll enter a new Golden Age of gaming. *Tear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    Can I just ask, what do people actually see themselves playing on the Wii over the next 2 years?

The games I want to spend time playing are Final Fantasy XII(XIII is no doubt years away), MGS 4, Suikoden V, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, WoW: Burning Crusade and of course GTA 4 at the end of next year, among other things.

I don't see any actual games on the Wii that do anything to excite me about it. Yes the hardware is interesting and innovative and I look forward to trying it. But it seems the console only has Zelda, a Gamecube game with gesture recognition which many reports are stating is more awkward than buttons, a couple of FPS games, and a whole lot of 'look what we can do' style gimmicks. None of which have the appeal of some of the stunning games the other consoles lined up.

When THQ converted games like Gun and Tony Hawk to 360 and gave us current gen games with next gen graphics tacked on, it came under heavy criticism. But Nintendo do exactly the same thing with Zelda and they seem to be receiving universal praise. This report from Eurogamer sums up a lot of my fears about the game. At least tarting up the graphics for 360 didn't hurt gameplay, replacing buttons with gesture recognition can do just that.

So far the only game I've seen for Wii that I really want is Monkey Ball. There's a game that's been crying out for this controller. Most other games are genres designed for joypads with gesture recognition tacked on, or those that do use the controller properly seem to think that once you have a unique little mechanism you don't need to bother building any more game around it(Wii Sports)... I can see stuff like Wii sports being fun in multiplayer for a while but the console needs some real games that were built from scratch for the controller and have some real meat to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Atari Jaguar
    I know what I will be buying first anway, twice :p PS3 is a deffo purchase for me, but not before the wii!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    Well StevieC that Mario Game is meant to be excellent. There's also Metroid Prime 3. When have Nintendo ever disappointed us with a bad game? There's the odd blip but sually they making nothing but grade A games.

(Suikoden V is meant to be tasty :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

PS3
    I'd have to go for Wii. Probably get a 360 as a secondary console. Reasons:

-Zelda/Metroid/Mario/SSBB
    -Virtual Console (Because I'm a sega fanboy)
    -Price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

PS3
    yeah i would have the same reservations as steviec. i havent been a nintendo fan really over the last few years but i have been drawn to the wii because of the price and the potential of it being really good fun. so to answer the question it has impressed me most

however, i've realised that most of the games that i would want to play most regularly would'nt suit it or be as good on it, so im not so sure again. PES for example, my favourite series and it wouldnt work near as well on it, if on it at all. plus games like MGS4 and Assasins Creed in particular, are games i really want to play but wont be on the wii. plus most of the wii games like zelda, mario etc. dont really appeal. i just cant help thinking, once we are used to the controller and it has lost its novelty, what are we gonna see?.

so i dont know what im gonna get, but i definiteley wont be gettin a 360 or PS3 this year with the prices so i think i am patient enough to wait and see how things pan out next year for all 3. unless of course the price of the wii gets me this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Atari Jaguar
    gona hopfully get a 360 and wii :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

PS3
    Sure, there may not be as many games on the Wii but that's why it will be most people's "alternate" console. They will have a 360/PS3 for thier mainstream and a wii for it's unique games, style and price. Hopefully with this situation the wii will attract more dev attention. Despite the smaller library, with the exception of PES and GTA, I got put far more game time into my GC than I did my PS2.

I will buy a wii, even to support Ninty's effort and risks otherwise they might just die out and the less competition there is in this industry the worse it is for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

will definitely be getting the wii and then most likely the ps3. Will choose that over the xbox simply because I don't think the 360 can do anything my computer or normal xbox can't do.

as for that eurogamer review, i wouldn't be too worried abou it, to me it read like the reviewer was pissed off because he was crap at the game. I never put too much stock in a review based on a few mins of gameplay.

And anyone who claims to like fps but isn't excited by metroid....i just don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Xbox 360
    steviec wrote:
    ... Wii sports ...

hehe :D

I'm not that interested in the Xbox 360 so my attention would be mainly on the other 2 next gen consoles. However, Nintendo consoles strike me as having kids games and from what i've seen at E3 (controller etc.) my opinion hasn't changed.

The ps3 is quite expensive but would still be the one for me because it has some great games lined up (Blu-ray isn't that big a deal for me). I'm a big Final Fantasy fan so I'm looking forward to FFXIII (even if it is 2 or more years down the line), MGS4, new GTA, new PES, Naughty Dog game (don't know the name) etc.

Regarding the whole debate about Sony making a mistake with Blu-ray, price etc. There are a few things to consider:

-Sony has a huge loyal fanbase, so PS3 will sell well regardless of price (especially in Japan, where Xbox 360 is supposed to be selling terribly (I don't have a link but I've read it somewhere on the web)).

-As mentioned before, the 5 companies supporting blu-ray have a huge market share and blu-ray should do well.

-Playstation always has a good variety of games

I'm sure there are other points but i'm too lazy to think of them.

The consumers will benefit no matter what happens in the console war. So much choice.

bring it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

i see phil harrison is now recommending the wii as the ideal partner for their machine, this is brilliant, nintendo must be over the moon...clever ninty...good ninty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

PS3
    steviec wrote:
    When THQ converted games like Gun and Tony Hawk to 360 and gave us current gen games with next gen graphics tacked on, it came under heavy criticism. But Nintendo do exactly the same thing with Zelda and they seem to be receiving universal praise. This report from Eurogamer sums up a lot of my fears about the game. At least tarting up the graphics for 360 didn't hurt gameplay, replacing buttons with gesture recognition can do just that.

well the way i look at it 360 had ****e games at launch and everyone was like "well no console has ever had a strong launch line up". The Wii looks like it will have a very interesting line up indeed. I would buy any console that had Super Smash Bros on it. Can you imagine 4 player online SSbros

I am aware it is not a launch title but it is an example of a game i will be playing in 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

PS3
    steviec wrote:
    Can I just ask, what do people actually see themselves playing on the Wii over the next 2 years?

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Ware, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Dragon Quest Swords, Fire Emblem, Monkey Ball, Trauma Centre and I'm sure there will be plenty more games I want announced in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PS3
    elekid wrote:
    Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Wario Ware, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Dragon Quest Swords, Fire Emblem, Monkey Ball, Trauma Centre and I'm sure there will be plenty more games I want announced in the next 2 years.
    Exactly...I mean to question the content available to a console this far before launch is kind pointless. If you had have asked that question of the Xbox 360 this time last year you would have got a similar reply to....."eh.....dunno"

The wii will have a huge back catalogue to tap into aswell and even if that is all it were to offer I still think it would be worth buying at around €200, but there is much more on offer.

Although Zelda and metroid are basically ports of the gamecube versions in many ways I still think the controller will add to the experience.

Nintendo has a great record backing up it's own brand with quality games (the DS anyone), especially when it comes to new and interesting idea's that they are trying to impliment.

Sony, IMO are the equivalent of EA when it comes to the console war, rob idea's from other competitors and rely on on brand names and licencing to sell your wares. (I hope they prove me wrong) - Coincidentally this was the view I held of MS when the xbox came out, way over priced and didn't offer much more than the PS2 at the time, but they did prove me wrong and my xbox gets a lot more attention than my PS2 these days as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    Metroid Prime 3 isn't a GC game but a completely new one made especially for wii. It will use a sort of analogue/wiimote control scheme rather like the keyboard mouse combo. Hope the open ended control scheme doesn't interfere with the excellent boss designs.

PS3
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Metroid Prime 3 isn't a GC game but a completely new one made especially for wii. It will use a sort of analogue/wiimote control scheme rather like the keyboard mouse combo. Hope the open ended control scheme doesn't interfere with the excellent boss designs.
    Sorry, didn't mean MP3 is a port of a GC game but is very similar in design and look etc bar the ovious control, well that's according to the hands-on by Eurogamer in any case.

Still, I'm looking forward to it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jenmcgregor

PS3
    I thought the Wii was incredibly impressive, especially the long queues for the booths.

I have a 360, and I haven't been too impressed! TBH I'll probably sell it soon!

Needless to say, ps3 won't get a look in in our household!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

hold on to your 360 man..it looks like the 2nd gen games are strong

PS3
    Just to throw some realism into the price arguments, found this link on boingboing:

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png
    It's a graph with the relative console prices in 2006 dollars, and it helps make sense of the whole thing; to me the PS3 is still expensive, and the argument to compare it to the launch price of the ps2 (250-350 less) and ps (100-200 less) is blown out of the water in this case too; but in real terms it's not as huge a leap as it seems... that said, it's less expensive than the Saturn, CD-i (well, the lower spec machine is) and the 3D0, and they all sold like hot cakes :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Atari Jaguar
    The second wave of 360 games look amazing.
    The Wii will hopefully have a strong launch line-up(Remember not all the games mentioned are for launch)
    The Ps3 looks quite like the 360.If it had of come out first then I would have bought it and not bought a 360 at the later date.But I see no point.If there is a significant price-drop I may be tempted though

PS3
    flogen wrote:
    Just to throw some realism into the price arguments, found this link on boingboing:

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png
    It's a graph with the relative console prices in 2006 dollars, and it helps make sense of the whole thing; to me the PS3 is still expensive, and the argument to compare it to the launch price of the ps2 (250-350 less) and ps (100-200 less) is blown out of the water in this case too; but in real terms it's not as huge a leap as it seems... that said, it's less expensive than the Saturn, CD-i (well, the lower spec machine is) and the 3D0, and they all sold like hot cakes :D:D
    Link isn't working for me...

PS3
    hm...
    Seems to have a thing stopping people from linking directly to the images, here's the webpage with direct links to the two images (second one is relative)
    http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3
    But since electronics prices have been dropping continuesly you can't really compare them. :/

• Advertisement

PS3
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    But since electronics prices have been dropping continuesly you can't really compare them. :/

well it's about as good a comparison as you can make; electronic prices do drop, but more expensive developments come into being; either way actual cost is the closest you can get to comparing one to the other

Advertisement