Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii/360/PS3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Xbox 360
    Even taking the higher price of the PS3 into account(and looking at those price comparison charts), it's still the only one that intices me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

is that price comparison chart correct with the xbox launch price, i could have sworn the xbox started off much more expensive than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    is that price comparison chart correct with the xbox launch price, i could have sworn the xbox started off much more expensive than that

Wikipedia wrote:
    # €479 (Launch Price (Ireland) 14 March, 2002),
    # €299 (Launch Price (Rest of Europe) and Ireland April 26, 2002)

We have it bad now compared to dollars, but we had it even worse when our currency was in punts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Atari Jaguar
    yes it was!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox#Price_history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

PS3
    Bit of a turn-around from last year's E3, definitely! Everyone was thinking the XBOX360 looked spiff, but the PS3 was seriously outgunning it. And most people were like "hm?" with nintendo :)

Now it's like Nintendo are leading the pack and everyone's fed up with the PS3. Even I (a total xbox un-fanboy) am starting to think X360 might be more worthwhile than a PS3. Though I'll probably change my mind on that when I try MGS4 :]

I voted Nintendo even though I'm still quietly concerned about the Wii. I just see it as being another case of everyone saying "yeah, I'm definitely going to get it" and then 6 months after release, it'll have sold a tenth the units than PS3 has, or something.

Good article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64797

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

PS3
    Wii, shame about the name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PS3
    I remember there were similiar results in a similiar poll a few years ago with GC, PS2 & XB....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

The PS3 is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too dear.

The 360's games are looking promising.

I think I'll give the Wii a go too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Abstract

PS3
    I'm with nintendo on this one.Looks like it will be lots of fun.Nintendo always been my favourite,I've an xbox and a ps2 and i still play my n64 more than the other two combined.I skipped the game cube it just looked too babyish kind of sorry i did that cause i missed out on installments of things like.....
    Zelda,Super Smash Bros, the inevitable mario kart?Mario kart is simply one of the best multiplayer games ever!Even the girls have started joining us for mario kart nights!
    Playing first person shooters on a console is just too clunky and not fun compared to pc but the wii nun-chuck controller looks like it might have solved the problem.

This little piggy went wii wii all the way home:D
    (*sigh* apologies for that one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

PS3
    I was most impressed with the Wii and the 360. Looking much stronger from my point of view. The only thing that I want a PS3 for is Metal Gear Solid 4, and one game isn't going to warrant a purchase.

Looking at the 360, it seems it'll have all those multiplatform games like RE5 and Sonic the Hedgehog as well as Halo 3 and Bioshock. I didn't get an Xbox, but I'm sure to get the 360.

The onyl reason I'd say that I'd get a 360 before Wii is because it's out first really. Looking forward to Wii the most, strong line-up with Zelda, Metroid, Monkey Ball, Red Steel, Smash Bros., Sonic Wild Fire and Super Mario Galaxy. I'll have to look a bit further into ExciteTrucks though.

Wii and 360 are my choices, and they'll satisfy me until I'm really old enough to get a job. Seriously, €600 for a PS3, that's too much for a console alone. Only reasons my friends have given are MGS4 and Fifa (you'd think they'd know that I absolutely HATE football games, especially Fifa).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

actually the playstation 3's price
    will be 625 euro and 425 sterling :eek:

from official sony sources.....

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

PS3
    That eurogamer article phrased my annoyance with the sony controller really well
    But while motion sensing has the potential to pay dividends as a differentiator, a more likely result is that third-party publishers will use it as an excuse to co-develop boutique titles for PS3 and Wii, playing to the lowest denominator, the gyroscopic PS3, rather than the more impressive range offered by Wii. Cheers, Sony.

I also noticed that many people said the wiimote at e3 was amazingly accurate, but there were also conflicting reports that it was over sensitive, with wild swings from the slightest twitch. Then i saw a nintendo rep saying that sensitivity can be adjusted in the options. And i though maybe two or three of the 10 display consoles had the sensitivity turned way up, which lead to the 20% of bad reviews. Either way, it doens't seem like the most difficult bug to fix by november.

And on the ps3 price tag, although it is ridiculous, and i wouldn't ever dream of buying one, I have every confidence that sony know exactly what they're doing and will (unfortunately!) outsell the other it's rivals because after 10 years of brilliant marketing and brand building, it is a price premium that they can afford to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

i'd tend to agree that sonywill come out on top again failsafe, but, IF all the interest in the wii at the moment is translated to sales you never know, it may be a case of nintendo rising to the top unexpectedly, after all look whats happened with the ds, tis all very interesting this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PS3
    Linkdude wrote:
    Only reasons my friends have given are MGS4 and Fifa (you'd think they'd know that I absolutely HATE football games, especially Fifa).
    are you sure they didn't mean PES?
    what makes them think Fifa will be any less crap on the PS3 than it will be on the 360/Wii?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

failsafe wrote:
    I also noticed that many people said the wiimote at e3 was amazingly accurate, but there were also conflicting reports that it was over sensitive, with wild swings from the slightest twitch. Then i saw a nintendo rep saying that sensitivity can be adjusted in the options. And i though maybe two or three of the 10 display consoles had the sensitivity turned way up, which lead to the 20% of bad reviews. Either way, it doens't seem like the most difficult bug to fix by november.

wouldn't really call it a bug.. it's just different peoples playing styles clashing. and yeah, it's supposed to be adjustable in options... if not, nintendo can easily do a patch, as this is a software thing, rather then a hardware issue.

however, some people complained that they had to stand far away, or even crouch to make the wii recognise where the remote is. this is because of a strip you have to put on/under your tv... and it's a bitch to get it in a nice place apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

PS3
    tman wrote:
    are you sure they didn't mean PES?
    what makes them think Fifa will be any less crap on the PS3 than it will be on the 360/Wii?

They meant Fifa alright, and I don't even think they know Fifa is multiplatform. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PS3
    wouldn't really call it a bug.. it's just different peoples playing styles clashing. and yeah, it's supposed to be adjustable in options... if not, nintendo can easily do a patch, as this is a software thing, rather then a hardware issue.

however, some people complained that they had to stand far away, or even crouch to make the wii recognise where the remote is. this is because of a strip you have to put on/under your tv... and it's a bitch to get it in a nice place apparently.
    I'm sure Nintendo will sort that out before the launch...fingers crossed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    It might just take awhile to get used to. I remember how unnatural the keyboard and mouse combo was back when I first used it in Quake 1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

PS3
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/23/sony_uk_ps3_60gb_only/
    British buyers may only be offered the 60GB version of Sony's PlayStation 3, a senior company official has suggested. If so, the comments from the head of Sony Computer Entertainment's UK operation, Ray Maguire, appear to confirm speculation that the 20GB PS3 will not be released here officially.

In an interview with UK games industry weekly MCV, Macguire said: "The lower-end, 20GB version of [the] PlayStation 3 has no Wi-Fi, no HDMI and none of the other slots in it, so it's really a question of where we would position it. It's more likely that we will only launch the 60GB version."

The word Irish can replace British in this piece and I'm sure it would be just as accurate.

I don't actually think it will damage sales, though... the people buying sony at launch/over christmas are going to be hardcore gamers and people with lots of money anyway, they'd be going for the 60gb version either way... I'm sure they'll have the 20gb on the shelves long before teh wider audience start considering a purchase

PS3
    I thought the fact that it had no wifi and all the necessary ports etc was rubbished by sony. As far as I know it's up gradable too....

• Advertisement

PS3
    sprinkles wrote:
    I thought the fact that it had no wifi and all the necessary ports etc was rubbished by sony. As far as I know it's up gradable too....

Yeah, they seemed to rubbish it, but they were making a point that the machine still does what it's supposed to do, and it dropped the extras, not the core components (so it will still be a ps3,just not a media hub or something). I can see how wifi would be upgradable, and the HDD, but not the HDMI port.
    Even if it was though, it would cost more than 100euro, just like making the upgrade to the highend 360 cost almost double the price difference between that and the core

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3
    sprinkles wrote:
    The 20gb version doesn't have Wifi or HDMI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Woo Hoo, I have finally found games worth turning my 360 on for, unfortunately they are Knights of the Old Republic2 and Robotech Battlecry, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Woo Hoo, I have finally found games worth turning my 360 on for, unfortunately they are Knights of the Old Republic2 and Robotech Battlecry, ah well.

Ooooh must pick up KOTOR2... I had it on PC but it crashed so often it was unplayable. The first one is one of my favourite games ever. Never occurred to me I could get the Xbox version for my 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

Atari Jaguar
    :D
    But for now it'll just be a wii, might buy myself a new tv for it too (but not a HD one!)

I dont think its been confirmed the Wii even has HD capability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    steviec wrote:
    Ooooh must pick up KOTOR2... I had it on PC but it crashed so often it was unplayable. The first one is one of my favourite games ever. Never occurred to me I could get the Xbox version for my 360.

I ordered Knights II off play.com for €29 (that's delivery included). I played it on the pc but the bugs and lack of time means I never finished it. Linkage

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I bought an Xbox 360 yesterday and i'm very impressed. I have no idea what the Wii is like so I'm just going to vote for the 360.

I had a chat with the guy in gamestop and and upon pointed out that you will definitely be able to buy a Wii and an xbox 360 together for cheaper than the PS3 alone he said that they will have deals offering the Wii+Xbox360 bundled together.

Add to that the fact that the 360 will have Halo3 and GTA4 before the PS3 is even released and that the Wii will have the new Zelda and mario games on release tells me that Sony would want to have some serious deck of Aces up their sleeve to pull off this one.

The PS3 will also have massive supply constraints on release. The Wii is being released worldwide at the same time so all the release day games will be available everywhere. I cannot honestly think of anything that the PS3 has that would make me want to buy one and with the confirmation of the availability of a HD dvd player for the xbox 360 at Christmas this year the PS3 is pushed further to the back of my mind.

PS3
    Dermington wrote:
    :D

That's why he won't be buying a HD one!
    I bought an Xbox 360 yesterday and i'm very impressed. I have no idea what the Wii is like so I'm just going to vote for the 360.

I had a chat with the guy in gamestop and and upon pointed out that you will definitely be able to buy a Wii and an xbox 360 together for cheaper than the PS3 alone he said that they will have deals offering the Wii+Xbox360 bundled together.

That would be something to see; I'd be interested to see the effect it would have, after all many consumers wouldn't bother doing the math, so putting it right infront of them in plain english would open their eyes...€600 = 1 console or €600 = 2 consoles :D
    Add to that the fact that the 360 will have Halo3 and GTA4 before the PS3 is even released and that the Wii will have the new Zelda and mario games on release tells me that Sony would want to have some serious deck of Aces up their sleeve to pull off this one.

Halo 3 won't be out before the PS3 launch and GTA4 isn't out until late next year also, at which point it will be available on 360 and PS3 at the same time. Mario isn't a launch title for the Wii IIRC.
    The PS3 will also have massive supply constraints on release. The Wii is being released worldwide at the same time so all the release day games will be available everywhere.

I think everyone agrees that the PS3 will sell out at launch, party due to low supply and partly due to high demand (hardcore gamers); in that case the Wii will present itself as a nice alternative even for those looking for a Ps3; if the 360 is anything to go by those who don't get preorders down will have a hard time getting their kit before Christmas, as the Wii is older tech and so can be mass produced quicker/cheaper their stock levels should be decent along with the price; people will throw a couple of hundred quid at it and some games and still be able to afford the ps3 when it becomes available again in the new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    Dermington wrote:

I'd say it does have HD compatibility just Nintendo won't push it so that every game has to have HD modes like MS and Sony are doing. Nintendo said themselves that 480p will be the standard mode and most of their games will be developed based on this resolution. If a game could be run at a higher res then I'd say nintendo or the third parties will put in that option.

PS3
    I thought MS had managed to get GTA4 released on the Xbox360 a month before it's released on the PS3....maybe I'm dreaming.

• Advertisement

PS3
    You are dreaming. However MS will be getting it at the same time as Sony.

Advertisement