Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii/360/PS3

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

PS3
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    You are dreaming. However MS will be getting it at the same time as Sony.

I wouldn't say dreaming, I'd just say that he wasn't paying particular attention to MS's politikspeak announcement, you would have been forgiven for believing that they had GTA4 as an exclusive by the way it was worded.

I'd say Rockstar are more than happy to simul-launch, they probably realise there's more money to be made in being widely available on day 1 than there is in getting a big exclusive contract from Sony or MS.
    They also probably want to hedge their bets just incase the ps3 flops, as unlikely as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PS3
    Peter Moore said during MS's E3 Press Conference that they had a GTA4 exclusive - they were releasing GTA4 for the 360 before it becomes available for the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think what he said was that they would release gta4 on such and such a date and that there would be exclusive xbox 360 downloadable content

PS3
    TmB wrote:
    Peter Moore said during MS's E3 Press Conference that they had a GTA4 exclusive - they were releasing GTA4 for the 360 before it becomes available for the PS3.

No, he said that GTA4 would be available on 360 "from day one" (which means you won't have to wait weeks/months like you did for GTA3->GTASA) and exclusive rockstar content on Live (which isn't guarenteed to be GTA content)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    He said it will be available on 360 from day one, ie. it won't be on PS3 first but almost certainly will be on PS3 the same day.

Then, cleverly, in the same sentence he said that Live would have exclusive *Rockstar* content. Not necessarily GTA. More than likely table tennis.

Edit: Flogen beat me to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Atari Jaguar
    As David Reeves the Sony europe boss said you'll buy because it says playstation 3 on it.
    "We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

PS3
    Yeah but everyone knows David Reeves of Sony lives in an Igloo and has no friends. The arrogance of his comment is akin to saying we'd buy an actual turd with a PS3 sticker on it because we're morons and we don't really know what we want, well, I ****ing do and it isn't a PS3 it's a slash.. I mean Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Atari Jaguar
    You got to be impressed by that amount of arrogance all right.

Anyway I'll probably get a 360 soon I've been impressed by the live stuff and some of the games on the way.
    I'm not sure about the wii yet, I'm interested in the new metroid and zelda, but I'm not sure how wii sports and the like will work out.
    Still it's should be cheap enough to take a chance with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games.

So did Sega and they lost out to you guys when they released a console at $100 dollars more than the PS1 and released it too early so that no software was available for ages (which is more than likely what will happen at the PS3 launch). However the Saturn at least had decent build quality. Going by the PS series quality the launch systems will be lucky to last 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

PS3
    I was thinking about Sony's arrogance recently. They seem to see their brand security as being akin to Coca-Cola, McDonald's or eBay, when compared to those guys "Playstation" is a mongrel.

In fact, look what I found in a short google: http://www.finfacts.com/brands.htm

Check out the "The Big Losers" chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Xbox 360
    I like the upcoming games on the PS3, 360 doesnt really have anything I want, and the wii well to me the controller is really just a novelty that may wear off....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PS3
    shortys94 wrote:
    .....and the wii well to me the controller is really just a novelty that may wear off....
    People said that about the DS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

PS3
    yea and the people were kinda right about the ds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    yea and the people were kinda right about the ds.

you seriously think that? I'm getting loads of use out of my DS and find the controls and second screen to be ingenious when used properly by games (which is happening an awful lot more now). The PSP is gathering dust for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    you seriously think that? I'm getting loads of use out of my DS and find the controls and second screen to be ingenious when used properly by games (which is happening an awful lot more now). The PSP is gathering dust for the last few months.

have to say i use my brothers ds more then my psp, but that's down to a lack of games, and a high price for the games i want in the first place. it's more psp's loss then ds' win tbh

PS3
    Retr0gamer wrote:

aye, after an initial line up of poorly implemented touch screen control things are taking shape amongst third parties.

The touch screen being a novelty factor is accurate in some games (including stuff like Mario 64 DS) but it is increasingly vital in game control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Xbox 360
    Lads, get over the "arrogance". Reeves is right. If you read the whole quote, you'll see how he talks about the 5m after that is much more difficult, and how they'll have to be on top of their game to see that it is successful. I've seen similar comments from execs in various companies - the first Xm are always fairly easy, it's what happens after that that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

doesn't really matter whether we think it's arrogant or not...he is right they will sell there launch quota and quite a lot more besides

Retr0gamer wrote:
    no software was available for ages (which is more than likely what will happen at the PS3 launch). However the Saturn at least had decent build quality. Going by the PS series quality the launch systems will be lucky to last 6 months.

ps3 has a tidy launch line up already, and with over 4000 devkits i'd say we'll have a nice constant flow of new titles in the months after the ps3 launch. i'd say it'll have a less rocky start then the 360 has.

as for build quality, every new electrical item fails at some point. my ps1 still works, my ps2 broke after 3 or 4 years and sony gave me a free game and other crap to make up for my forking out €103 to get a replacement and my psp works a charm, whereas my original xbox broke after 3 weeks, but my 360 is fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Atari Jaguar
    ps3 has a tidy launch line up already, and with over 4000 devkits i'd say we'll have a nice constant flow of new titles in the months after the ps3 launch. i'd say it'll have a less rocky start then the 360 has.

as for build quality, every new electrical item fails at some point. my ps1 still works, my ps2 broke after 3 or 4 years and sony gave me a free game and other crap to make up for my forking out €103 to get a replacement and my psp works a charm, whereas my original xbox broke after 3 weeks, but my 360 is fine...

I dropped my orginal xbox from the top of the stairs (not on purpose mind you) it hit every step on the way down, and was perfect :D My 360 is fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

PS3
    Friend of mine kicked a hole in his snes and its grand. Mine was flooded with beer and it was perfect......untill the............"unpleasentness"...............a few months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Atari Jaguar
    I dunno, the 360 has to be one of the most unreliable project launches yet. I'm on my third one in six months and I know many people in similar situations. And that's after making provisions to ensure great airflow around it and making sure it never ever moves, a luxury none of my other consoles have never had. As long as MS keep throwing new ones at me for free though I can't really complain.

On my second PS2 in 6 years, my first one got the dreaded disc read errors about 2 years ago. Gamecube lasted 3 years of perfect running before I sold it. PS1 lasted it's lifespan without breaking for me too. In fact in all my years the only consoles that have ever broken on me were a Sega Gamegear, the PS2 and the 360.

I dropped my orginal xbox from the top of the stairs (not on purpose mind you) it hit every step on the way down, and was perfect :D My 360 is fine too.
    lol

try that with the 360, see if it lasts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Atari Jaguar
    Dont bash the 360's low minority of console breakages.
    I'm on my fifth Ps2 ;)

Also the Ps3's launch line-up steady?Please,dont mock us

Advertisement