Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reasonable tilers?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

We've bought an apartment in D18 and got a quote for tiling. We have bought the tiles ourselves and all we need done is the tiling itself. We have 4 sq yds in the bathroom floor, 4sq yds for the bathroom wall, and 13sq yds for the kitchen floor. The quote we got was an incredible €3246. We are living in the age of incredible greed. This quote covered just the labour and adhesive / grouting.

Does anyone know of a decent priced tiler convenient to the Dublin 18 area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

One of our teams lives in Tallaght and another in Rathfarnham, they could easily knock a grand off that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

alpal wrote:
    We've bought an apartment in D18 and got a quote for tiling. We have bought the tiles ourselves and all we need done is the tiling itself. We have 4 sq yds in the bathroom floor, 4sq yds for the bathroom wall, and 13sq yds for the kitchen floor. The quote we got was an incredible €3246. We are living in the age of incredible greed. This quote covered just the labour and adhesive / grouting.

Thanks.

This might sound ridiculous but you could get a tiler from Donegal, put him up in a hotel for a night, get your tiling done and have change from a grand. The price you were quoted is ridiculous. How can they justify that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

oh my good god! dublin prices stink! just got a quote for my kitchen (mayo) €25/ sq yard. get a country lad and put him up..feed him well, bring him out on the lash, job done and sore heads all round for a couple hundread quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hi,

Total of 21 sq yards. At a fair rate of €25 per yard and allowing for a very generous €10 per yard for adhesive/grout and an allowance for any awkward cuts/shapes the WORST you should expect to pay for this job is about €1000 in my (experienced...) opinion.

Fredser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

When I bought house (about 18 months ago) and tiles, and floor boards, etc. and basically had no money for anything, I got quote for tiling (laughed lots) then wondered how hard it could be.

Went to Woodies (or one of them places), bought a tiling kit for €25, borrowed a tile cutter from a mate, just a manual one, nothing electric that I could chop a finger off with. I looked up instructions on the web and I did the whole lot myself! Apart from the huge mess from the grouting, it took me 2 days to do the entire kitchen (approx. 150 sq ft) and I saved a fortune. Then I did the 3 bathrooms over the next few weeks (harder than kitchen as toilets, etc are more difficult to work around).

Once I got started into it, I was amazed at how easy it was. You might be suprised and you could save yourself a fortune, or just buy a big lazy boy chair to admire all your hard work from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

That sounds like a rip off. I got a quote of 1290 plus vat for 76.5 sq yards, thats working out at about 16.80 a sq yard. That is labour only we are supplying adhesive and grout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

alpal wrote:
    The quote we got was an incredible €3246..

:eek:
    that's seriously outragous!
    check your in box - I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nimina

Hi,

I am a tiler.

The price you have been quoted is crazy.

I have many references and recommendations and would be happy to call and provide a quote.

Cheers
    John
    E-mail: handyj@02.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IOConnell

Jyst got tiling done in my bathroom, 35sq yards for €600. his standard price was €20 a sq yard. That is the norm with a lot of tilers, pay cash in hand to keep them sweet. Stay away from those tradesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

IOConnell wrote:
    Jyst got tiling done in my bathroom, 35sq yards for €600. his standard price was €20 a sq yard. That is the norm with a lot of tilers, pay cash in hand to keep them sweet. Stay away from those tradesmen

What part of the country was that in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markliling

Hi,

I am a tiler.

Call me 0872632323 or send me mail: marktiling@yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Thanks.

The tiler that quoted you that doesn't want the job IMHO, that's crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I got a quote today for my own bathroom which works out at approx. 23 square yards. €370. This includes the floor and the walls which will be tiled from floor to ceilng. I am supplying the tiles/grout etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

markliling wrote:
    Hi,

I am a tiler.

To be honest you should try stay away from small cuts like that in the corners (i.e. the first picture), from the picture i cant see any reason why they had to be that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

I got a 21sq yard/17sq metre (total for walls + floor) bathroom tiled last summer for about €400.

I'd a guy in to quote me and he used the most bizarre method of calculation - he was charging €35 per square metre but added 10 more metres to 17 because he'd have to cut tiles in the corners (10 linear metres of tile cutting)!!! So that was 27 x €35 = €945. And he wasn't even supplying adhesive/grout in that price. Needless to say I didn't go with him. I got the impression he just didn't want the job & if I was foolish enough to go with his quote then he'd have been laughing at me. I don't quite get why he even bothered coming to quote me - I'd told him the area to be tiled on the phone etc. Really wanted to get someone on a recommendation but I should have sensed he'd try to 'do me' when he wouldn't give a price per sq yard/metre on the phone!

The guy who did do it was the son of another tiler who was recommended to me. The father couldn't do the job but assured me that the 'young lad' (30-ish!) was good (he was a plasterer who'd supposedly done quite a bit of tiling with his Da too). He nearly made my heart stop on a few occassions as I'd read a bit in the DIY books about how you go about tiling - starting at the centre and working out to the corners so as not to have narrow slivers of tiles in the corner, not using the floor as a horizontal starting point as it's unlikely to be level etc. & it seemed like I ended up telling him how to do his job. It freaked me out big time - I got someone in to do it as I figured it'd take me a week & I didn't have that much time to take off work, was sleeping on friends' sofas as I'd no bathroom facilities in the house & I just wanted it done!

Other than the following list of painful stuff:
    • ending up with that stupid sliver in the corner on the first wall
    • having him remove tiles on the first wall 'cos they weren't level (was obvious when he put the border on)
    • providing him with a spirit level with a suggestion he use it when it became obvious he needed to (he didn't bring one himself!)
    • having him remove tiles on the second wall 'cos he forgot to put on the border & again on the 4th wall 'cos he forgot the border
    • having him remove a few plain tiles to put in decor tiles where he forgot to put them in
    • wasting a day's holidays waiting for him to arrive and he didn't come til the following day
    • picking him up in the mornings to ensure he got to the job!
    • etc.
    the end result isn't too bad.

I'm sure the 'young lad' would have been fine with his Dad supervising but it broke my heart. I ended up having to work from home to supervise him & since I don't have a work laptop I ended up getting a lend of one that I could only use to check emails & read/write word documents. I'd difficulties convincing my manager that I could actually get useful work done while 'working from home'!

I finally suppressed the sense of despair and figured that for €400 versus €945 I couldn't complain too much. Friends who hadn't read up on tiling didn't notice the sliver in the corner etc. and they assured me that my sense of despair was caused by me knowing too much...

Reckon I might give the kitchen splashback a go myself when the time comes as it'll save me a lot of grief - it won't be as time critical as the bathroom. It's hard getting reliable people in Dublin - you either have to get trustworthy recommendations or you'd have to
    • know everything about the job yourself so you can critically view work by the potential tiler (or whatever the job you want done is)
    • see them working (to know that they can plan etc.).

Latter may sound OTT & I doubt anyone'd like the pressure of someone observing them on a job but without recommendations, how are you supposed to get someone who'll do it properly?

Moral of the story - know what you're getting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markliling

To be honest you should try stay away from small cuts like that in the corners (i.e. the first picture), from the picture i cant see any reason why they had to be that size.

You are right, but check how it looks with sink. Sometimes you have to decided what would be better :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TCS - Tough one there with tiler but regardless of what the DIY books say you don't start in the center. Ask any tiler out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 philip1111

AdrianR Hi I am a tiler. Without seeing the job you want done I can give you an approx quote of 800 euro? Call me on 0862366707

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 FMC

Great Tiler, did my kitchen, hallway, porch, and full bathroom. Brilliant Job. Brendan Bonnie Tiling & Flooring 01 452 4860.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

alpal wrote:

Thanks.
    did they forget the decimal point or something?
    that really is a ridiculous price.

i should pimp myself out here like these other people.
    i'll post some pictures tomorrow. they're on a disc somewhere and it's too late to go looking for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmaher1

Hey TCS,

If you know so much about the job why didn't you do it yourself??

Ok so the lad doing the job hadn't a clue but there's nothing as annoying as having an owner telling you how to do the job - correctly!! It actually causes you to make mistakes - the pressure of it I mean.

My point is people is DIY people can do things in differently. I often make things up as I go along. And 99% of the time they turn out fine.

I would suggest the following criteria:
    1.If you want a professional job get a professional.
    2.If you want a reasonably priced decent job research how to do it yourself and get a good enough job done.
    3. Take a gamble like you did and see if the guy knows what he's doing.
    If you take option 3, you should ask to see a previous job he did and judge for yourself if its acceptable. (though how do you know that it was him who actually did it?)

Advertisement