Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallas Asks To Leave Chelsea

• 12-05-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

A big loss for Chelsea if he goes IMO:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=367673&cc=5739

Chelsea defender William Gallas has asked for a move away from English football.

The French central defender announced his intention in an interview in Friday's L'Equipe newspaper.

Gallas, 28, who joined Chelsea from Marseille in 2001, said: 'My decision has been taken and is definitive: I want to leave Chelsea.

'I want to experience another challenge.

'I've been with Chelsea for five years. I want to experience another league.'

Gallas has been frequently linked with a move to AC Milan and Serie A could well be his next port of call.

He has helped Chelsea win back-to-back Premiership titles and is one of the few players to have survived and flourished from the era before owner Roman Abramovich and manager Jose Mourinho arrived at Stamford Bridge.

'The directors of Milan are interested in me, and I am interested in the idea of going to play over there,' Gallas told the French newspaper.

A £6.2million signing by Claudio Ranieri, Gallas has been a mainstay of the Chelsea defence, whether in the centre or at full-back.

He has one year left on his existing contract and insists that any move away from west London would be 'not a question of money'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'd be sorry to see him go, fantastic player for us for 5 years now, but I get the idea him and Jose don't see eye to eye.

Best of luck to him if he does go. At least that screamer in the dying minutes against spurs will always be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well personally I think he is Chelsea's best defender and possibly the prem's best defender. Yes in the central position Terry is better but name me one other defender that has moved from central, to right to left and looked world class in each one of those. Its a shame he doesn't like playing at right full as I think he is possibly the best right full in the world when he plays there.

Shame but at Milan he will get what he wants, a central position. The main central cog now as well considerign Nesta is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thank god, Chelsea are finally starting to get players unhappy with not playing.
    Combine this with Huth intenting to leave, and probably Johnson too, with Carvalho also not happy, and Del Horno being a total flop, means that Mourinho is gona have to buy 3 new defenders this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

himself and stam will be a force to be reckoned with. whatever team he goes to, CL participants i'm sure, it would be great to see him play against Chelsea next year.

like scott parker this year and his, legal, tackle on Joe Cole that nearly sent him into space!

1132420595.45913.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He has one year left on his existing contract and insists that any move away from west London would be 'not a question of money'.
    Did they really need to point that out? Chelsea aren't exactly strapped for cash.

I was wondering how long it would be before players started to get restless at Chelsea.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Thank god, Chelsea are finally starting to get players unhappy with not playing.
    Combine this with Huth intenting to leave, and probably Johnson too, with Carvalho also not happy, and Del Horno being a total flop, means that Mourinho is gona have to buy 3 new defenders this summer.

Carvalho and Jose certainly don't get on, Del Horno isn't that bad still adjusting to Premiership life i'd say , Johnson isn't going to be a great loss tbh his biggest contribution in most games wass to give away pointless free kicks, didn't hear anything about Huth leaving.

Still Ashley Cole might still turn up in blue this august.

Lots of talk about Tevez coming, that would be amazing (video) !! .

Spanish papers claiming Robben is wanted by Madrid.

Latest reports also suggest Jon Obi Mikel has been cleared to join chelsea, not sure if I want him tbh, sounds like a pain in the @rse.

If we get Shevchenko and Ballack and Tevez, we won't have any excuse for playing boring ( alledged) football..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Get in there Fergie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I heard that stam is going to ajax, so won't be gallas' partner in milan's defense
    it was a commentator though, he may have been talking a load of old ****e

gallas has been making noises about leaving for a year or 2, it was just a question of when he'd leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Also heard Stam is off to Milan, supposedly he wants to finish his career at home.

Back OT, Gallas is easily one of the best defenders i the premiership and will be a huge loss to Chelsea. Any team that are lucky enough to sign him will have a huge asset on their hands. He can play right across the back four, and is equally comfortable in any of the positions. Maybe a chance for a fellow PL team to steal him from Chelsea?

mchurl wrote:
    Also heard Stam is off to Milan, supposedly he wants to finish his career at home.
    Stam is off to Ajax.
    mchurl wrote:
    He can play right across the back four, and is equally comfortable in any of the positions. Maybe a chance for a fellow PL team to steal him from Chelsea?
    I dunno, I think one of the problems is that he isn't a regular centre back, he's often voiced his displeasure at playing full-back. But you're right, he can do a great job right across the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Chelsea aren't going to let him leave...

Can't blame them. It's not like in most situations like this where the club are forced to sell to get whatever little money they can get. Letting him go on a free next year isn't a bother to Chelsea's bank account and even if he doesn't want to be there he would be an extremely handy player to have around next year.

Keeping players that are dead-set on leaving isn't easy to do. Just ask Lyon, they couldn't hold onto Essien after he made his decision to leave for Chelsea. Which makes this a tad ironic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Keeping players that are dead-set on leaving isn't easy to do. Just ask Lyon, they couldn't hold onto Essien after he made his decision to leave for Chelsea. Which makes this a tad ironic!

It isn't easy to do when you're a smaller club and are worrying that a potential transfer fee is going down the longer your hold on to a player. Chelsea don't have to worry about that. Unless Gallas has a fit and walks out there's not much I can see him doing besides sitting the year out at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

it would be a horror for chelsea to keep gallas at the club if he is that unhappy, it would rub off and eventually half the team will leave...which i think would be the most positive thing that could happen to football. Chelsea have ruined the transfer system imo.

Gallas has always said that he wanted to play in different leagues across europe so it is no great shock that he is leaving.
    like scott parker this year and his, legal, tackle on Joe Cole that nearly sent him into space!

http://www.vg.no/bilder/bildarkiv/1132420595.45913.jpg

what has that got to do with gallas leaving chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Carvalho and Jose certainly don't get on, Del Horno isn't that bad still adjusting to Premiership life i'd say , Johnson isn't going to be a great loss tbh his biggest contribution in most games wass to give away pointless free kicks, didn't hear anything about Huth leaving.

Still Ashley Cole might still turn up in blue this august.

That's the point though, you will need 3 defenders, which means lots of new players.
    I've heard a lot that Huth is unhappy at being 17th choice CB, and he is a top quality player. If Mourinho doesn't give him his chance next season, but instead buys a new CB, he will realise he has no chance and leave.

Latest reports also suggest Jon Obi Mikel has been cleared to join chelsea, not sure if I want him tbh, sounds like a pain in the @rse.

Those are reports from Nigeria, which are all from ****tu.
    See the united transfer rulings, but Man Utd will have him perfectly once Norway throws out his appeal to the initial decision. It's in the bag.
    If we get Shevchenko and Ballack and Tevez, we won't have any excuse for playing boring ( alledged) football..

Doesn't mean ya won't though. Mourinho has said multiple times the only way to win the English league is to play like they do now. He believes attacking football doesn't work, but it is required to win the CL without a lot of luck imo.
    So next season will see less points for Chlesa in the league and a strong CL run, or a premiership, but going out in the CL again.

---

Apparently Gallas can buy out his contract for 4.5 million.
    If Chelsea force him to stay, it'd be great for everybody else. Might just make people think twice. That's why Chelsea won't force him to stay, they are just postering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

what has that got to do with gallas leaving chelsea?

if you had of quoted my entire post, then you would see the connection. i said it would be interesting to see Gallas play aginast chelsea next year if he signs for CL participants.

it would be a horror for chelsea to keep gallas at the club if he is that unhappy, it would rub off and eventually half the team will leave...which i think would be the most positive thing that could happen to football. Chelsea have ruined the transfer system imo.

QUOTE]

boo hoo :rolleyes:

I very much doubt chelsea will keep him there against his will, its usually counterproductive as you say, though half the team leaving because he's unhappy is , well.... daft. That said there is zero chance of him being sold to any english league challengers nor would it make any sense for Gallas to go to another english club in order to watch his former team win trophies :-)

if you had of quoted my entire post, then you would see the connection. i said it would be interesting to see Gallas play aginast chelsea next year if he signs for CL participants.

ah! now i get ya, sorry, was hungover this morning

growler wrote:
    though half the team leaving because he's unhappy is , well.... daft.

didn't mean it like that. What i meant is that it could be the begining of the exodus of unhappy players, Duff, Robben, Huth, Johnson, C.Cole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PHB wrote:

Umm, Gallas played loads this season... i dont think hes unhappy from not playing, i think he just wants to get the feck out of there

• Advertisement

Umm, Gallas played loads this season... i dont think hes unhappy from not playing, i think he just wants to get the feck out of there

he's unhappy with playing out of his preferred position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

growler wrote:
    he's unhappy with playing out of his preferred position

ahhh okay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

couldn't see chelsea forcing him to stay, that would put off potential transfers into the club. are players gonna wanna sign for a club that will force them to stay against their will... (if they eventually want to move on that is)

Advertisement