Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishing stairs & putting down floors

Options
  • 12-05-2006 11:21am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads + Gals,

We are down now to the last of the major jobs.

On the stairs, anyone varnished and sanded it themselves?
    Any tips if you have, I believe there is a sealer you can get.
    How many coats of varnish did you give it.
    If you have not how much was it to get someone in to do it.

On flooring - Is the installation kits/tools which you can get to help in putting it down? What is in the kit and any idea how much they are ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Best of luck doing your stairs. I did mine as the final job before we moved in to our new place & it was the worst job ever. Mind you I had to stain them as well & had lots of "fiddly bits" on the bannisters & half landing etc.

As regards tips -
    Give yourself plenty of time - it seemed never-ending at the time.
    I did 2 coats of varnish for bannisters & newel post.
    3 coats on the treads, risers & handrail.
    Used Ronseal Diamond Coat.

We've been in now for 18 months & there's no sign or wear & tear as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Yop, the best tool you can get for laying timber floors is the one for hammering the boards together. I don't know the name of it (is there even a name for it?) but it is a flat piece of bar with a small 90 Deg bend on one end for dropping over the edge of the board (use an offcut of timber to protect the toung of the board you are working on) and a large 90 deg bend on the other end for hammering.

| < Hammer
    |_____________________
    Board ============= |

I only use it when working near the edge and there is no room to hammer against an offcut of timber, if you know what I mean.

It pulls the boards nicely together. I think B&Q sell them but I don't know how good they are as I made my own. A welder in work bent the flat steel bar for me and I put some of those stickey felt pads on it to protect the floor when laying it. That and a hammer and some glue is all I used - no bother.

Advertisement