Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical question

Options
  • 12-05-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

My house was completely rewired about 10 years ago .
    I am putting up a stud partition in the front bedroom to make a second bedroom .There is two double sockets in the original Bedroom and one light and switch . I have contacted an electrician but he can't call untill Monday to see what I want to do . I know the guy well and have said that I will drop the wires and put in the socket cases ( don't know if that is what they are called ? ) , so i will just need him to say yes/no you can/can't do that and actually wire the sockets and switch .

Because he is out of contact untill Monday I have to stop what I am doing as I am not sure if there is a certain way to procede .

So my questions are :

1: Is what I am trying to do possible , ie : looping off the existing sockets to create new ones , looping off the existing light and switch to create a new light & switch in the second room .

2: When running the wires through the stud partition is there any particular route to follow ie: do I keep the wires high/low untill I get to where I want the socket/switch .

3: Any idea how big the hole for the wires going through the studs should be ?

Thanks in advance for any help

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Looping off the socket is no problem as long as you don't have too much of a load on that line already, I shouldn't think so with a bedroom.
    If you loop off the light switch you'll need to have one light switched on before you can switch on the other light.
    Take a feed from the new socket to the new switch and then to the new light.

Make the hole through the studs the same size as the cables and run the line at the same height as the plugs.
    Take a few pictures of the cables before you close up everything with plasterboard for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Looping off the socket is no problem as long as you don't have too much of a load on that line already, I shouldn't think so with a bedroom.
    If you loop off the light switch you'll need to have one light switched on before you can switch on the other light.
    Take a feed from the new socket to the new switch and then to the new light.

QUOTE]

You loop the light from the existing light and switch not the socket.

1. loop form the existing socket to where the new socket is going with 2.5 twin and earth

2. Run a 1.5 PVc PVC from the light fitting to the new light fitting (Blue)
    3. Run a earth wire (green yellow from the light to the new light.
    4. Runa 1.5 PVC PVC (Brown) from the existing switch to the new switch.

Electrician should be able to connect it all up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the replies people , I had to keep the holes in the studs high because they had to go over doors , so I ran them all high and then a straight down to where I wanted them to go . I have left it so either option is possible for the new light .

Take a few pictures of the cables before you close up everything with plasterboard for future reference.

How clever are you ? , thats an excellent idea and I was making plans to draw it for future reference .

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

You are right Dingding about looping the light from the lightswitch, my suggestion would have the lighting running through a 25 amp tripswitch which is wrong.
    Dingding's suggestion is much safer/better and runs the lighting through a 15 amp tripswitch..

Advertisement