Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent-a-car and flat tyres

Options
  • 12-05-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I rented a car from Enterprise Car Hire last weekend, and unfortunately got a flat over the course of the rental.

I wasn't expecting that I'd have to pay for this, but Enterprise are saying it is damage to the car (which it is) so they took 50 euro from my credit card, saying it would only probably be a tenner and they'd refund the other 40 later.

What's the deal with this? Not quite sure what to think here because it is damage, but it wasn't accidental or intentional - a flat tyre could happen to anyone. Am I really responsible for paying to get the puncture fixed? I don't really mind all that much, because if it was my own car I'd still have to pay to get it fixed. I just think 50 euro to get a puncture fixed is a little steep....!

Any ideas? Has anyone every got a flat with a car hire company before?

Cheers,
    A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This is normal prcatice. You are expected to return the car in the condition it was given to you. You are responsible for things such as fuel, damage - crash, puncture or otherwise. They have simply held onto your deposit and will refund the difference you once they have paid for the puncture to be repaired - unless it turns out that a new tyre is required. I work on a daily basis with Enterprise, AVIS and others and every one of them are the same. It is fair if you think about it - you drove the car and you got the puncture so you must pay. I appreciate that it was not your fault as it was accidental but it certainly wasn't Enterprise Rent-a-Car's fault. You signed to assume responsibility for this when you collected the car.

Your just gonna have to pay for it. Next time get the puncture fixed yourself before returning the car and say nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you purchase the additional insurance would this cover the puncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dingding wrote:
    If you purchase the additional insurance would this cover the puncture?
    AFAIK, If you purchase "Super CDI" it covers a new tyre but not a puncture repair - I'll check this out on Monday and post the findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably better to drive on it for abit so you need a new tyre ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I would of expected that you would have to pay, although I am surprised that they didn't have a set price to get it repaired.

If it happens again get it fixed yourself and say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

Thanks for the replies, lads.... geeez, I'll definitely know what do to for next time!! AH well, live and learn I suppose! :)

Cheers
    A.

Advertisement