Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrodare - Copper fitting

• 12-05-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

So I'm going to lay my new piping myself, going to buy the hydrodare heavy gauge this weekend, dig the trench and cut/angle the piping as well. All going well it'll run into the house, right up to the where the existing piping emerges from the ground and it's there that I want to connect to the existing piping.

The piping in place is lead up to the house, then copper inside.

Anyone know if a "hydrodare to copper" connection exists, and if so is the connection easy to install?

I'm trying to save plumbing costs and am willing to do 99% of this stuff myself as long as it's not too complex. I imagine the connection shouldn't be that hard as it won't involve soldering.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

If for example it is a 3/4 outside diameter 1/2 inside diameter hydrodare pipe joining a 3/4 copper pipe you would use a standard 3/4 compression fitting (Code 310 straight Coupler) You must use a 1/2 insert in the hydrodare (same as qualpex). Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

With ½" heavy gauge you don't need to use an insert. It's just a ¾" compression fitting.

With light gauge pipe you have to use polyadapters. You can also get from some plumbing suppliers a ½" lead to copper adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks guys. Anyone know if I definitely need to use hydrdare heavy duty? I am only going by what one plumber recommended I use, however, I've since heard from other people that I might possibly be able to use Qualplex, which is more flexible and i think would be easier to work with.

It's for replacing the connection from the mains into the house, this is presently a lead pipe, and needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I might be wrong, but I remember a plumber telling me that qualpex isnt certified for mains pressure, only heavyguage or copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hi,

For your application (i.e external,mains pressure,buried) you should use 1/2 heavy guage hydrodare which will not require inserts - just 3/4 brass compression fittings.

Qualpex is NOT suitable for this appliaction.

Fredser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks for the info. I started digging up the lead piping yesterday, only to discover that about 1ft from where it had sprung a leak, the pipe turned to copper! This means I now don't have to replace the whole thing, but rather just remove the lead section, so a huge job has become much more manageable.

Thanks for all the tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

flocker wrote:
    With ½" heavy gauge you don't need to use an insert. It's just a ¾" compression fitting.

With light gauge pipe you have to use polyadapters. You can also get from some plumbing suppliers a ½" lead to copper adapter.

Flocker
    Any more info on this....Avoiding lead soldering / wiping would be great
    Regards
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Tapest

only ever used them two times. Very easy and handy fitted like a compression fitting. Got them from heatmerchants if l remember correctly.

Advertisement