Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a property valuation in Dublin area

Options
  • 12-05-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Anyone know of an estate agent in Dublin who will do a property valuation without charging too much?

I've been quoted 181 euro, but maybe there is an estate agent who will do one for less?

Need to get one to change my mortgage.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Just tell them you are thinking of selling your house and will they value it for you.
    Tell them you are getting several different agents to value it and will decide after talking to them all who to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A few years ago I got Sherry Fitzgerald to come out and value my property for sale. They did this for free in the hopes they would get to act as agents for the sale. The sent me a written valuation. I don't know if this would be suitable for a mortgage change but it'd be worth checking into before you pay anything. Maybe someone else might be able to clarify this..........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pay the money, its not that bad.

crosstownk, one of these days, something like that will get you sued.
    William Lacey (Hounslow) Ltd v Davis [1957] 1 WLR 932

Barry J held that a quantum meruit claim could be made where the defendant had led the contractor to believe that the project would proceed, encouraging him to produce detailed estimates. The defendant had to pay even though the contractor’s work was ultimately of no benefit to him: the purpose was to assist the defendant in trying to negotiate a claim with the War Damage Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'll do it for €80 plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if its for a mortgage, it will need to be completed on the proper documentation and you'll have no option but to pay it as they will know you are just trying to get a freebie.

I recently got one done for a house in Cavan for €120 I think, so Dublin rates will be slightly more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Victor wrote:

Why? They offer to do it for free. You are under no obligation to sell.
    People change their minds all the time. It's a bit dishonest but I had three
    (quite different) valuations last summer when I considered selling and ended
    up not. I think most decent estate agents would expect a certain amount
    of non-selling valuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sure, but the OP has no intention of selling and what crosstownk and JimmySmith are suggesting is that the Estate Agent should be defrauded.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between doing a valuation saying "I think the property is worth approximately X euros" to a vendor and one saying "The property is worth Y euros" to a lender. The lender can sue the valuer in the second case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Victor wrote:

AFAIK - most estate agent will give a written confirmation of what they think your property is worth along with all other charges and conditions should you wish to proceed. I had 3 estate agents do this for me before I went ahead with the sale. As to whether or not this valuation will be acceptable to a mortgage lender - I do not know.

BTW - my mortgage lender sent out their own valuer, and assuming I went ahead and borrowed the money they would refund the money. So basically it would be safe to assume that given the lender will send out their own valuer, the estates agents valuation is of no use in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Blunderbuss

thanks for the feedback - it's good to get the full range of opinions :)

I'm actually staying with the same mortgage provider, so it isnt a "full" mortgage switch.

I want to move from a std var mortgage to a tracker mortgage with a loan-to-value of < 60% (which is at a lower APR).

The mortgage provider has told me that they dont need a "full" valuation, just a one-liner from a local estate agent saying what the value is.

So I might get an estate agent out to value the house on the basis that I'm "thinking" about selling......

OK - it is stringing them along for a freebie, but whenever I do sell-up, I will probably give them the business then.

If your switching your type of mortgage your going to still need a valuation on a bank form by a registered valuer ie Auctioneers and you will have to pay......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Darach

doing the exact same thing LTV tracker rate change, and stupidly didn't ask for the price as the agent has acted 4 me b4.
    bank just requested a "driveby" valuation
    I reckoned it cdnt cost more than a Dr's apptmt and was thinking 60-100 yoyos..nearly fell of my chair when the bill for €181 came thru!!
    ripoff republic is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Darach wrote:
    doing the exact same thing LTV tracker rate change, and stupidly didn't ask for the price as the agent has acted 4 me b4.
    bank just requested a "driveby" valuation
    I reckoned it cdnt cost more than a Dr's apptmt and was thinking 60-100 yoyos..nearly fell of my chair when the bill for €181 came thru!!
    ripoff republic is alive and well.

Ouch, I got Finnegans in Dundrum to do a valuation for me, €130 all in. Proper evaluation for mortgage purposes too.

Most valuations will cost €100-130 plus vat unless you go to one of the big firms who seem to think they have the right to charge whatever they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement