Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Naseem Hamed jailed for SLR crash.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kersh wrote:
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-05-12T115819Z_01_L11246008_RTRUKOC_0_UK-CRIME-BRITAIN-HAMED.xml

What do yous think, I think he deserves more, the guy in the other car is crippled for life.

Where does it say he was cripped for life? All I saw was:
    Hamed escaped unharmed but according to newspaper reports the driver of one of the other cars, 38-year-old Anthony Burgin, broke numerous bones and has been forced to undergo several operations since the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I read other news reports on it over past few months, trust me , he is crippled, he has a complicated compound fracture of his right leg, and still isnt walking unaided.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

What was the dangerous driving he was doing? Speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think Hamed probably had the best Lawyers/Barristers money could buy. That makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Overtaking a row of cars doing a minimum of 90mph (so the judge said) in a 60mph zone, on a blind hill, in a lhd car, he clipped one of the cars he was overtaking, and spun into the path of the Golf driven by the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The guys an idiot. Glad he's seeing the inside of ol' choky.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the guy was a great boxer, but thats just life, what he did was wrong.as far as i know he is ok and wil be back boxing after he is out of jail.he was going to be back by the end of this year but that wont be happening

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:
    as far as i know he is ok and wil be back boxing after he is out of jail.he was going to be back by the end of this year but that wont be happening

Personally I couldn't give two shìts how he is, if he hurt the other guy as bad as Kersh said he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭sk8board

Hamed was a show-man. He never fough 1 boxer in the top-5 of his weight division. It was all for show.
    He fought a great mexican boxer once, called Medina (i 'think') who literally threw in the towel in the last round, even though he had Hamed beaten.
    100% pure and complete H Y P E.

eoin_s wrote:
    Personally I couldn't give two shìts how he is, if he hurt the other guy as bad as Kersh said he did.

i thought kersh meant naseem was crippled.sorry.
    yes its really bad that the other guy was injured badly.

also hamed was not a hype in my opinion.but other people have there own views,
    and he must be good to have made a few million and have a SLR:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

sk8board wrote:
    Hamed was a show-man. He never fough 1 boxer in the top-5 of his weight division. It was all for show.
    He fought a great mexican boxer once, called Medina (i 'think') who literally threw in the towel in the last round, even though he had Hamed beaten.
    100% pure and complete H Y P E.

All true. Dodged all the best boxers while he was the the "top". Must have had some REALLY good lawyers to only get 15 months.

Hopefully "Prince" Naseem Hamed will get a taste of what it's like to be "Queen" Naseem Hamed behind bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

drdre wrote:
    also hamed was not a hype in my opinion.but other people have there own views,
    and he must be good to have made a few million and have a SLR:D
    Yeah he really was a hype. Even though he had the money to buy an SLR, what good is it when you can't drive it? He's a tosser.
    nas48tu.th.jpg

AJ! wrote:
    Yeah he really was a hype. Even though he had the money to buy an SLR, what good is it when you can't drive it? He's a tosser.
    nas48tu.th.jpg
    i wouldnot agree to that.as thats like saying you buy a ferrari and crash it so are you a tosser?

so everyone that crashes a car is a tosser?I donot think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:

Accidents can happen, but I think everyone who crashes in the manner he did is a tosser!

(I suspect the idiots who crashed the exotica in the Gumball were also tossers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

eoin_s wrote:

Couldn't agree more. The guy was alwas an arrogant POS, I really hope he takes that attitude with him inside and has a very nice time with all the big boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

maidhc wrote:
    Accidents can happen,

No such thing as an accident, its a made up word to disguise negligence/stupidty (delete where appropiate).

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

drdre wrote:
    i wouldnot agree to that.as thats like saying you buy a ferrari and crash it so are you a tosser?

Crashing the SLR is just one of the reasons why he's a tosser. Didn't he leave the scene after the accident? He left the car there, doors open and all, and left with the passenger. Do you think that it wasn't his fault, because overtaking several cars at 90mph in a 60 zone isn't the best idea I think you'll agree. And if I did buy a Ferrari and I was driving it like he was driving that SLR, then yeah I would be a tosser.

maidhc wrote:
    Accidents can happen, but I think everyone who crashes in the manner he did is a tosser!

(I suspect the idiots who crashed the exotica in the Gumball were also tossers!)

yes i would agree with you there.also whats a exotica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Surely if he can afford the SLR he could also afford the odd track day - probably a better place to practice driving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

KdjaC wrote:
    No such thing as an accident, its a made up word to disguise negligence/stupidty (delete where appropiate).

kdjac

No such thing as an accident? Are we to take it you've never had one, so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Mother Theresa would be afraid to post on this forum as some of the posters would attack her for writing too fast :rolleyes:

It appears to me this forum is full of people with no real interest in motoring just attitude about everything.

Yes people do speed, yes accidents do happen, one is not always the cause of the other, thats part of driving, get over it.

This accident happened due to poor driving. Accidents like this happen every day.
    The fact that the driver had an SLR and that he was famous means nothing.

People with petrol in their veins don't drive about below the limit all of the time, and do not tut tut everyone who ever broke the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

RobAMerc wrote:
    It appears to me this forum is full of people with no real interest in motoring just attitude about everything.

Couldn't agree more I'm afraid

RobAMerc wrote:
    Mother Theresa would be afraid to post on this forum as some of the posters would attack her for writing too fast :rolleyes:

Yes people do speed, yes accidents do happen, one is not always the cause of the other, thats part of driving, get over it.

This accident happened due to poor driving. Accidents like this happen every day.

People with petrol in their veins don't drive about below the limit all of the time, and do not tut tut everyone who ever broke the limit.

yes this is a great post.couldnot agree with you more.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Here's what the BBC has to say about it:
    Naseem Hamed jailed for car crash

Former world boxing champion Naseem Hamed has been jailed for dangerous driving after a crash which left another driver severely injured. Hamed, 32, from Dore in Sheffield, was sentenced to 15 months after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing. He was also given a four-year driving ban.

His £325,000 McLaren-Mercedes crashed at 90mph in Sheffield on 2 May 2005.

The judge criticised the DVLA for refusing to reveal that Hamed had been banned before for driving at 110mph. The Honorary Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Alan Goldsack, told Hamed: "I find it astonishing that the DVLA has not been prepared to co-operate with the prosecution to give them details of your earlier offences - apparently on human rights grounds."

The DVLA's decision led to Hamed being sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday without the judge being told he had previously banned for a year for driving a Porsche at 110mph on the M1 in Derbyshire.

He also had three other previous convictions for speeding offences, details of which the prosecution had to find from court records.

After last May's head-on crash, the driver of the other car, 38-year-old Anthony Burgin, spent weeks in hospital with fractures to "every major bone in his body". His wife Clare was also injured.

The court heard how Hamed had been anxious to impress businessman Asif Ayub, 46, who was a passenger in the McLaren-Mercedes at the time of the crash. Hamed was showing what his car could do when he crossed a solid white line at a speed of at least 90mph and crashed head-on into a Volkswagen Golf that emerged from a dip in the road.

The court heard Hamed's car then hit a second vehicle, a Ford Mondeo he had been trying to overtake. The driver of the Mondeo, Michael Wood, described Hamed's overtaking manoeuvre in court as "stupid, suicide, ridiculous".

Jailing Hamed on Friday, Judge Alan Goldsack said the only possible sentence was custody. "It is far too serious for anything else", he said. "You could easily have killed Mr Burgin."

Outside court, the Burgins' solicitor, Jane Wright, said the couple were "extremely relieved" by the sentence. She said: "People must never underestimate the amount of damage done to people's lives through driving dangerously on the roads."

Hamed's solicitor, Steve Smith, said he was "very disappointed" with the result and said he did not think Hamed's celebrity status had been an advantage.

BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think 18 months is probably a bit lean. 2-3 years would have been right considering he had 3 previous convictions and didn't learn from them.

It still sets out a precident that you risk jail if you drive like he did.

He left the scene of the crime too which was disgusting behaviour.

I didn't think he was coming back to boxing...he must be planning on going up to heavy weight...he's certainly not the small fit lad he used to be.

Pity Wayne McCullogh never got a go at him...would have liked to see Wayne give him the beating he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Em, ok maybe I picked the wrong thread to have a rant on, although I do believe what I said, but in this case the man clearly is a tool who should not be on the road.

he did deserve a larger jail term.i didnot know know he had 2-3 other motoring convictions

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

RobAMerc wrote:

Can we get that added to the charter?

Robbo wrote:
    Can we get that added to the charter?

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote:
    This accident happened due to poor driving.

I guess you could call overtaking on a blind hump at 90mph to show off your bravado to your passanger bad driving alright.

Advertisement