Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Naseem Hamed jailed for SLR crash.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

maidhc wrote:
    I guess you could call overtaking on a blind hump at 90mph to show off your bravado to your passanger bad driving alright.
    what about overtaking on a solid white line?
    at the end of the day if he couldnt make it in a slr with that sort of power it was definately suicide. the previous history of dodgy driving is an aggrivating factor. hel b out in 7/8 months anyway for good behavior. british prisons are like hotels anyway with private rooms and tv etc. b a nice stay imho.get away from it all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think the point he was making was this was not an accident.

Had he been driving along at the speed limit and a tyre, which was perfectly well serviced, blew and he then lost control then that would be an accident.

However when he is driving at 50% over the speed limit having crossed a solid white line to overtake a line of cars in order to show off, then that is not an "accident."

ac·ci·dent Audio pronunciation of "accident" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ks-dnt, -dnt)
    n.

1. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
    2. An unforeseen incident: A series of happy accidents led to his promotion.

When driving in the manner he was it would not be unreasonable to expect something bad to happen. I would call it an incident rather than an accident.

Please note, I am not getting at anyone just pointing out that I think KdjaC might be right in this case, though I don't agree with him that there are no accidents ever.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol

There is no such thing as an accident ever happening, dunno why people find that hard to belive. Find any accident and i would bet there was a reason that cannot be attributed to mystical fairies or other things that were not meant.

Stuff just doesnt fall off shelves and hit people, cars just dont skid off roads. There is always a reason, most of the time the reason is stupidity and people prefer to use the words "i was in an accident" rather than "i crashed cos i wasnt looking".

I crashed my 1st car by being stupid, the wall may have thought it was an accident but it was always there, i just didnt see it that time :D

In the above case its fairly obvious what caused the crash, nothing unexplainable about it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

KdjaC wrote:
    There is no such thing as an accident ever happening, dunno why people find that hard to belive.

Yes there is. After the event of course you can always say he shouldn't have pulled out, or she shouldn't have overtaken, or they were stupid not to drive slower. People have to make judgments all the time though, something those judgments are so bad they are criminally negligent, more times they are merely a bad call. You have to base you meaning of accident on the driver in the situation he was, not as an objective bystander after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

maidhc wrote:
    Yes there is. After the event of course you can always say he shouldn't have pulled out, or she shouldn't have overtaken, or they were stupid not to drive slower. People have to make judgments all the time though, something those judgments are so bad they are criminally negligent, more times they are merely a bad call. You have to base you meaning of accident on the driver in the situation he was, not as an objective bystander after the event.
    yes you are right it all depends on the meaning of accident.and different situations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ah poor prince naseem, his wife was due a child soon:mad:

Advertisement