Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 12/05 Thunderstorm activity

Options
  • 12-05-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all,

Again reporting from Laois. Just had a nice clap of thunder at 1320hrs. The sky has the dark grey with red hue look about it.
    This time it looks as if the activity is approaching/centred from a Southerly direction. The clouds seem to be over Durrow/Abbeyleix/Ballacolla area at the moment and moving steadily northwards. And it's getting silent...... a re-run of yesterdays events?
    The temps are around the same some the possibility of the generation of a similar storm is possible I would say.

Anyway I'll keep it monitored and let you know (as long as the power doesn't go etc.)

***edit @ 1400 no activity since 1320 but it's still got very grey, the only thing is it is not as humid as yesterday so this may have an impact ******

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mountrath - Some fairly menacing coulds approaching from the South. I expect to hear rumbles of thunder shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers developing nicley now through the midlands. A better bearing for us in the East this time. Clouds building here now:) Temp is currently 20C indicating that the wind is probrably now southwesterly in direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Portlaoise here. Sky's clouded over and gotten pretty hazy in the last 45 minutes or so. Seems to be a menacing looking sky to the south roughly, that kind of darkening, hazy looking sky with the slightly yellowly tint to it, you know the type. ;):D . I'd say if it's going to kick off it's going to do it within the next hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Clouds building over the South Side of Dublin. Becoming Hazy. Thunder Claps over Templeogue coming from the west at 14:41

*edit getting louder :D

Grimes wrote:
    Clouds building over the South Side of Dublin. Becoming Hazy. Thunder Claps over Templeogue coming from the west at 14:41

*edit getting louder :D

A string of T-storms moving up toward the GDA now look like they are intensifying.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

nice big thick dark fluffly clouds overhead. Whats that mean?

Grimes wrote:
    nice big thick dark fluffly clouds overhead. Whats that mean?

Ive got the same thing here. Probrably not to far off here. It will probrably start raining in the next hour or so. Hazy here too 20C:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Lots of activity now - about 4 - 5 seconds between lightning and the thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Pissing down here in swords:(

Thunder ( 1 clap) here. Didnt see the lighting. Bucketing down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

heard it too,but bone dry here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

2 or 3 spots of rolling thunder here in Swords and hailstones.

Edit :3.28pm The rain is so heavy i can hardly hear anyone in the building. And hailstones at the same time. Really strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thunderstorm, a rumble a minute. Cell moving I think NEwards, very slowly. The edge may pass overhead.

Mothman wrote:
    Thunderstorm, a rumble a minute. Cell moving I think NEwards, very slowly. The edge may pass overhead.

Mostly thunder, some lightning but intensifying, rumbling away as I type:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Mad, Here in Dublin 2 and can see the towering clouds over Swords direction and a mate in Stillorglin sayin its thundering yet its dry here?!! That doppler radar thingy UK Met office not picking up much activity, think they need to change the AA batteries in that cloud-detector yoke :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

Reporting again from Laois @1530,

It's kicked off here bigtime, thunder of lightning every 2 mins or so. This is same time as yesterday when the storm was at it's most intense.

Lights are flickering here ....and there is a nice bit of lightning activity may I add

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thunder started around 15:30 between Skerries & Balbriggan.
    No rain or hail yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very big clouds around me here and distant faint rumbles of thunder. Is it safe to wair headphones plugged into a pc if there is a lightening strike to the house ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Longfield wrote:
    Very big clouds around me here and distant faint rumbles of thunder. Is it safe to wair headphones plugged into a pc if there is a lightening strike to the house ?

Try it, report back to us how it goes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cant believe its still dry here, should be pissing it down, looks like these must be very localised.

See the attached radar (its using gmt so add one hour for the correct summer time.

1445.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

sky gone very dark with a couple of rumbles of thunder here in Tallaght, thuderstorm to the west and south

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

50% blue sky in Cork region. No thunder, rumbles or rain all day. Going for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Rain just started with a bit of drizzle out here (North county dublin), it's been thundery and cloudy for awhile though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Casement reporting lightning strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lads, sorry to go off topic-over in Galway here an nothing serious happening at the moment but it will probably rain shortly.
    Where do you get those almost real time radar shots?

It's still going here...lots of thunder and lightning----fork mainly but some sheet included too. I've tried getting some pics but my cameras shutter speed is not fast enough even on the correct seeting.Pity really as I had it pointed at some nice fork lightning. It's raining here too. I'd say anymore Laois people would report similar.

Darwin---I would say the storm is very close to the mountrath area, The storm is just west of me now (big clap of thunder just there now actually)

by the way I'm going out again with a camcorder----cant promise anything so wish me luck!!!!!

constant rumbling of thunder here now
    Two storms one to the south and the other to the north-converging to the west :D

No rain so far but plenty of forked lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Big flash came through the window there, with the thunder not far behind.
    Edit: another big 'un there...sounds like it's getting further away

• Advertisement

http://www.isleofwightweather.com/lightning.html

Theres the lightning radar

It looks alive in this part of south wicklow and I can confirm that it is!!!

Turning off the pc and modem now and ahem enjoying the show \o/ \o/

Advertisement