Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 12/05 Thunderstorm activity

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

:eek:

Finally calming down in Lucan.....it started around 4.30, it's just gone 6 and I've emerged from under the bed. Naturally didn't watch any of it but there were so many ear-splitting crashes and eye-burning flashes I'm assuming it was a BIG one!

Please let that be the end of it....AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

:eek:

Finally calming down in Lucan.....it started around 4.30, it's just gone 6 and I've emerged from under the bed. Naturally didn't watch any of it but there were so many ear-splitting crashes and eye-burning flashes I'm assuming it was a BIG one!

Please let that be the end of it....AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Hehe, know how you feel, thunderstorms scare me senseless, but at the same time are fantasic things to view! (from a safe vantage point - like a car which is a natural faraday cage)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

Longfield wrote:
    Hehe, know how you feel, thunderstorms scare me senseless, but at the same time are fantasic things to view! (from a safe vantage point - like a car which is a natural faraday cage)

I'm trying hard to think of them as fantastic things to view........but it's not happening!!

Flip, sky darkening again, don't tell me it's STILL not over?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like the show is over here - phew! 4 hours of pretty much constant lightning. Looks like the rain will clear soon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

I concur with Darwin, the activity has died away here over Laois. I would say Darwin that Mountrath would have been near the center of activity. I timed the storm to be approx 4-5 miles from me where I was viewing at the time and from observing, it looked as though the lightning was touching down in that area.

Some really neat fork lightning I must say. Would have been spectacular if had happened at nightime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Another interesting lightning site:
    http://www.blitzortung.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Longfield wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation there Snowbie.
    Would love to see a screencap of the output from your lightning detector ! (surely altgr + printscreen and then paste in paint will work ?)
    There used to be an online Irish sferic detector in Waterford or Wexford iirc, does anyone know if this is still active and what the linky is?

I will give that ago longfield,its a custom vecto map and any alts or ctrl will give me on screen instuctions for the software im using but i will try the printscreen,never thought of that.cheers mate.

A thunderstorm came overhead about an hour ago with another lively display.
    The bulk of the storm drifted west to east just north of here.

A straight line fork came down very close by as I crossed the yard here with a long lingering crash bang.

Most of the rain stayed north of here where it looked like it was lashing.
    It's still raining lightly here but only just.The sky still looks quite thundery and is now very black to the north and east but thats the tail end of what came through here already I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A few lightning flashes (I never saw any directly as I was walking in the other direction) in Drogheda from 1800 to 1820. Another one at 1530. The rain that arrived at 1820 was suprisingly prolonged and given the nature of the clouds, it looked more like a front than a few Cumulonimbus clouds. Snowbie's explanation was useful. Thanks:)

What is the risk for tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

A few lightning flashes (I never saw any directly as I was walking in the other direction) in Drogheda from 1800 to 1820. Another one at 1530. The rain that arrived at 1820 was suprisingly prolonged and given the nature of the clouds, it looked more like a front than a few Cumulonimbus clouds. Snowbie's explanation was useful. Thanks:)

What is the risk for tomorrow?

No risk tomorrow. What a day though, 6hrs of lightning and torrential rain:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Interestingly Tuesday is now looking like a promising day for thunderstorms. Temps of 18 or 19 C and instability:

Rtavn6011.png

Advertisement