Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL equipment

• 12-05-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

DO NTL offer a wireless router, with any of their packages? if so what type is it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Details here:
    http://www.ntl.ie/athome/internet_cable.html
    Note also the freephone number for the official upto date information.
    The free use of a cable modem while you are on the service
    Not wireless router.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭markpb

They rang last week to sell me BB and told me it was no problem getting a few wireless AP when I signed up. Sure enough, they came out today (only a day late), AP in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

markpb wrote:
    They rang last week to sell me BB and told me it was no problem getting a few wireless AP when I signed up. Sure enough, they came out today (only a day late), AP in hand.

Does the AP have some Ethernet outputs?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Aparently if you ask for a wireless router when you order the broadband there is a chance you will get one if you say you have a laptop and that you need the wireless connection for that as you dont want to be restricked when you use your laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Aparently if you ask for a wireless router when you order the broadband there is a chance you will get one if you say you have a laptop and that you need the wireless connection for that as you dont want to be restricked when you use your laptop.

You're better off saying the TV point is too far away. If you say the laptop thing they can say "tough".

• Advertisement

They seem to have changed stance on the Wireless AP. A few months ago they insisted they didn't give them out at all. Then they said they'd only gave them out if they had to. When they rang me this time, there were no questions asked - I said I wanted wireless for my laptop and the guy (Brian) said it was fine straight away.

@Noelie - I've been at work all day, I'll check this evening when I get home.

Thanks guys, i rang them earlier and asked if they supplied Wireless AP and was told no, but i'll try saying the point is too far away, see how that goes.

@Noelie

They supplied a Netgrear WGR614 AP with 4 Ethernet ports.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Noelie wrote:
    Thanks guys, i rang them earlier and asked if they supplied Wireless AP and was told no, but i'll try saying the point is too far away, see how that goes.

Unfortunately it is a lottery with them - there is no guarantee you will get one and as it is not mentioned on the site:

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

there is no entitlement to one. I know two people who got NTL recently and did not get one even though they asked politely and in one case there were three laptops in the house so they were depending on a wireless connection.

thanks Markpb

• Advertisement
Advertisement