Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSL Sync drops when attempt wireless connection

• 12-05-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I would really apreciate some help here as I am cracking up trying to sort out wireless connection with my laptop.

My broadband with Eircom was working fine until I tried to connect wirelessly. I use the Netopia Router Modem 3347NWG that Eircom gives away.

At the beginning I thought it was a case of signal strengh. I was able to pick up my neighbours signal but not mine so I got rid of all 2.4 GHz equipment (baby monitor, wireless phone).

I also changed channel. But it didn't improve. I get my own signal very sporadically (very rarely I should say) and when I am able to get it, if I try to connect the Intel aplication says that it is unable to connect (even with no WEP/WAP activated) and whe it connects the DSL Sync light goes off...

I also tried using the windows application to connect wirelessly.. and didn't work either.

I got a Dell Inspiron 6400 (win XP) witha an Intel Pro WLAN 3945 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g 54 Mbps) and it works fine. I tested it in MacDonald's. I was able to connect within 5 minutes. It also works perfectly with ethernet card. My desktop btw also works perfectly with ethernet card.

It seems to me that it is a) a faulty Router (I know that Netopia router stinks) or b) a problem with my line.

I wonder if any of you have any suggetsions before a) I finally crack up and jump of the cliff's of moher or b) I invest in a new router....??

Eircom cust service sucks. They didn't offer any help and brushed me off saying that there were autenthication probs in my area.

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks,

The Man Who

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If I read your post correctlly you say that connection via ethernet is no problem so that would seem to rule out a problem with the line.

Any chance of trying the netopia in a different set up?

Otherwise how about trying a factory reset (usually invovles a pinhole at the back of the router) just in case any settings were inadvertently changed - after a factory resetting you should detect the basic wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Man Who

Thanks for the reply dub45.

I just tried my modem in my friends pad and I cannot connect either. It happens the same. Btw i already had reset the modem to factory settings ....

I do think the wireless feature of the router is gone for some reason so i think i will have to fork out a few bow and invest in a good router modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭normar

I do think the wireless feature of the router is gone for some reason so i think i will have to fork out a few bow and invest in a good router modem.

Just to offer a possible troubleshoot to your problem.
    A moden will sync up if there is copper connectivity between the modem and the Broadband access server in the Eircom exchange.

Once the modem sees this DSL server in the exchange via the copper wires it will sync, regardless of whether there is a wireless or other connection to the P.C. or not.

What I suggest is to reconnect the old moden to the Telephone line again and see if it syncs up. If the line is good it will sync up and stay up. Leave it for a little while and see if the sync light stays on steady for a reasonable period.

If it does remain in sync then the Wireless modem is at fault, and if it doesn't then the line copper connectivity to the ASAM ( broadband server in the exchange ) is at fault.

This could be due to wiring problems in the home or on the line. It's always a good idea to have the Moden connection socket the first on the line, if possible. with the other phone sockets next in line and filtered as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Man Who

Hi,

I checked the line as suggested by normar and dsl sync led stayed on until I tried to connect so I decided to risk it and buy a new router-modem... I was reluctant to belive it was a hardware problem but what else could it be?

guess what? I was up and running within 5 minutes. Wired & wireless connection work perfectly now. I got a D-Link DSL-G604T.

Those Netopia modems that eircom give away seem to be a bit crap....

Thansk to the board for the suggestions.

Have a nice day.

The Man Who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Eircom supplied it so EIRCOM replace it, even if you have no intention of using the POS they supply you should at least hit them with having to replace the faulty one. If they give you grief tell them you have a laptop with no ethernet port.

Munster

• Advertisement
Advertisement