Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Given signs 5 year deal.....

• 12-05-2006 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

to stay at Newcastle. A real shame that, shows a lack of ambition. Newcastle haven't won anything since the 50's can't see that run ending anytime soon. Best keeper in the Premiership and commited to those idiots !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well its hard to critise the man, he's loyal rather than lacking ambition I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

When players demand transfers from clubs they are branded unloyal, when they stay at "smaller" clubs they are lambasted for lack of ambition.

I think Given has looked at and assessed his options a little bit more than you have, he feels he has made the right choice. Fair play to him if that is what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Aldini98 wrote:
    to stay at Newcastle. A real shame that, shows a lack of ambition. Newcastle haven't won anything since the 50's can't see that run ending anytime soon. Best keeper in the Premiership and commited to those idiots !

Because your new I will let you away with calling Newcastle Idiots. But you only get one! :)

Given has been loyal to Newcastle and will continue to try and help Newcastle win trophies. We are building a squad to help us do that. Given will be a key player in it.

We have to win something sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That's a crying shame. He doesn't owe Newcastle anything, in fact the opposite is true. I really hoped he'd put in a transfer request this summer, which Newcastle surely would have graciously accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's nice that he wants to do it, but I think it's shocking that he hasn't joined one of the top top clubs.
    I think this is not down to him. Every time people are looking for goalies, they never go to Given. I'm not sure why, but he isn't sought after by the top clubs for some reason.
    Since Newcastle are in reality normally in the top 6 clubs in england, he might as well stick with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

his heart is at newcastle so im glad for him. i would like to see him on a bigger stage, like most of us, but i think newcastle, with the right management, could be on a bigger stage in the next two seasons.

this isn't the end of his career. i reckon its the last contract he'll sign with newcastle. a judging from the fact he is learning the spanish language, we might see him travel a bit further in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Fair play to him. It saddens me that Blackburn ever let him go. Players like him, who choose to stay at smaller clubs, should be applauded IMO for their decision, not lambasted.

Let's not forget that Newcastle still have a fairly decent squad, they're well capable of a top six finish. Just look at how they performed this season after Souness left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think Newcastle will start to improve alot next season so it might not be a bad decision..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Great news , easily our best player for good knows how long and without him I feel we would become a mid-table or worse side .

That said he does deserve to be at a club that are winning things but unlike many players he has loyalty(not to be confused with lack of ambition).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What other top club would have him though? Liverpool, united, chelsea or arsenal dont need him and wouldnt waste the money on him. Spurs wouldnt spend the money on him when they have Robinson. Necastle are bigger thant all the other clubs in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If the guy is happy in Newcastle, I can't see a problem with him staying. It doesn't seem like lack of ambition to me. Maybe he believes Newcastle are on the up and they couldnt have gone in any other direction after Souness departed. Also, as he is from Lifford, he can do no wrong. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SteM

He can still move on easily enough next summer if he wants to. Contracts mean nothing to most players or clubs now it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good for him. hope Newcastle can win something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

He loves the fans over there and the geordies love him too. there always singing his name. he referred himself as an 'adopted geordie' and i think he knows how much he means to the club because he was given captaincy in the last 3 games.
    He is a very loyal player and im happy with that, reminds me of shearer in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Aldini98 wrote:

idiots? elaborate please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

brilliant keeper i though Ferguson might try and sign him b4 he got VDS... VDS is old enough now though... Newcastle just need a good manager ala wenger/benitez, they have the money and some talent Given,Owen etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

how old is given now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He just turned 30.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nothing wrong with showing a bit of loyalty and its certainly not lack of ambition. You cant fall someone for loving the club that they are at and maybe he feels that Newcastle are going in the right direction again after the departure of Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Since when are newcastle a small club?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i think it is dissapointing. One of the hardest positions to fill with a solid player or very good player is in nets, cause nowadays every kid wants to play outfield, and those deemed poor at football are turned into goalies.

Given could easily walk into any starting 11 and i mean any. Think of all the top teams.

United,Arsenal,Barcelona,AC Milan,Liverpool

Give imo tops the lot maybe except Van der Sar and Lehmann who has improved immensly.

Dida and Valdes are not good keepers, like im sure if he wanted a move hed go somewhere where he would win trophies =/ pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i think it is dissapointing. One of the hardest positions to fill with a solid player or very good player is in nets, cause nowadays every kid wants to play outfield, and those deemed poor at football are turned into goalies.

Given could easily walk into any starting 11 and i mean any. Think of all the top teams.

United,Arsenal,Barcelona,AC Milan,Liverpool

Give imo tops the lot maybe except Van der Sar and Lehmann who has improved immensly.

Dida and Valdes are not good keepers, like im sure if he wanted a move hed go somewhere where he would win trophies =/ pity

Hes the reason why Ireland have achieved anything in the last couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I would have loved to have seen Given moving somewhere else. Arsenal are looking for another keeper and he would be a great addition. Newcastle im afraid are not going to do much next season. Now i say this on the fact that your main goal scorer has gone. Owen wont be hanging around and its been a while since he has played regularly without injury. They have nothing or nobody coming through that stands out. And i like Newcastle but im being realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

"Owen wont be hanging around"

owen says he'll be there next season..

Advertisement