Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunscreen

Options
  • 12-05-2006 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

With the weather being so warm the last few days I just wanted to remind
    about sunscreen, it can happen cos you are at home, not on holidays and the
    kids are only as far as the exotic reaches of the back garden that we don't think
    about putting sunscreen on them.

I routed out my box of the stuff today.
    Remember sunscreen can go off check the best before date,
    if you are trying a new one do an allergy test on yourself and your child esp
    before lathering up your little and then finding out they have a reaction when
    they get a rash all over :)

Sunscreen needs to be reappled to be topped up
    and if they wash thier hands and face it needs to be applied again.
    Thankfully niether of mine have been sunburnt so far, but they have seen me
    suffering the effects of it and being lobster red and very sore (I don't tan I burn)
    and are eager to advoid something simular happening and ask me do they need sunscreen.

Enjoy the sun safely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

good points there Thaedydal. On that subjet, I know there are 'kids' sub block brands out there, do you know if these sufficient to put on baby's skin ( 4 months old)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All ways read the label carefully of what ever you considering using.
    There is a wipe that has sunblock built in which I think is targeted for small ones
    but again to read the instrctions and care warnings.
    They are handy and make appling it easier when they are small and wriggly and
    at least they are usually used to wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Some kids' blocks are coloured until they dry to make
    it easier to see how much of your struggling offspring
    is protected.
    I find this great, particularly when our girls were younger
    and had such light hair that we needed to sun screen the
    tops of their heads.

NiallB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as well as best before dates, sunblock loses its effectiveness after being opened. last years bottle of sunblock is probably no longer fully effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

good points there Thaedydal. On that subjet, I know there are 'kids' sub block brands out there, do you know if these sufficient to put on baby's skin ( 4 months old)?

If I remember correctly the advice given is that NO SUN is safe for a baby under 1 and should avoid the sun completely or be in the shade if possible. When my kids were under one I never put short sleeves/shorts on them unless inside and always had a sunshade. It helped that our summers in both years were not too hectic anyway!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Labelling can be confusing too - SPF refers only to UVB radiation. There's a seperate star system for UVA but it's rarely referred to.

More here: http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/05/04/story257191.html

Roll on the EU's proposed stricter labelling system!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

loyatemu wrote:
    as well as best before dates, sunblock loses its effectiveness after being opened. last years bottle of sunblock is probably no longer fully effective.

Babies + sun = baaad.

Last year at least, Boots sold little pouches of Soltan Kids sunblock. They usually have a 3 for 2 offer on them too. I bought them for myself because they're really convenient, small, reduce in size as they get emptier, and I get burned looking out the window! They tell you how much child each pouch will cover on the back too. They also have sunscreen sticks and a variety of other screens. As far as I know the sunblocks come in pink, green and blue indicator shades, as well as the normal colourless white.

Maybe Soltan will employ me as a rep? I could do with the cash!

Advertisement