Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moaning About UCD?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

I know its the end of year and everyone is a bit tired but since I got here I noticed one big thing among a vast majority of UCD students that really gets me going. A lot of people around bitching and moaning about their college and their degrees! I can understand that the place can be a bit grey and dull during the winter but name a place thats lively and vibrant. If anyone has been on campus in the last few weeks its been magnificent with the trees and green areas , especially the O'Reilly Hall area of the lake.
    Another thing that gets me going is this reference to a number of degrees as "toilet paper" and what have you. The degree is only what you make it. If you have no will to succeed or no direction you are "bothered" to go in at this stage then yes , you will view it as a waste of a paper. But to these people I say YOU chose UCD on your CAO , YOU worked as much as you did in the leaving cert to get the points you did (anyone capable of a college education is capable of getting 500 points or higher IMO) .
    Its really irritating to those who enjoy UCD and the standard of education from it. A lot of the people complaining have never attended another third level institution to realize that UCD gives the same level of education as anywhere else its up to you to do the work and get the most out of what you put in.

:mad:
    Grimes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Word.

(I agree.)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If people don't have something to complain about, they generally don't have too much of a purpose (or so it seems to me).

It does get a bit tedious though, when you're already under pressure, and no one has a good word to say about the place. The fact that no one has anything good to say is probably a product of the fact that they're feeling under pressure. Ah well, at least soon it will be summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I agree with you Grimes about the campus. Of course the college isn't perfect but it certainly isn't the worst by a far stretch. I didn't like the campus when I first started mainly due to sheer size of the place in comparison to secondary school. I've grown out that and I think it's a fine campus with so many facilities and scenery that many other 3rd level students would give their right arm to have. In saying that I don't like the Arts building (I never will) but the rest of the campus I think is modern and good on the eye (esp the lake). I still don't think much of the people out here but that's another matter for another day.

With regards to students degrees, I haven't really come across many people who have belittled the degrees they are studying for. Mostly you'll hear Arts students taking the piss out their degree (I do) but I really don't believe people would be studying for 3/4 years for degree for which they have no regards for. I'm sure some people may fall into that category but I reckon they are a minority.

Everybody needs a mission. :cool:

Well my initial reply was rather short, and ultimately falls short of discussion. So I should add my few cents.

Basically the moaning in UCD seems to stem from the fact that a lot of us havent much to do out there, as a campus it is structured so you have the options of (if you are not sporty inclined) sitting around, going the bar or academic stuff. That isnt a healthy concoction for happiness.

Most people tend to have seperate lives, things to head off to, and it seems that in UCD they leave that behind and become immersed in the rather dull goings on of UCD.

Overall its a fairly OK Uni, but you need to be in a big group, its my fourth and most likely my last year here and over that time its took me quite a while to settle in and all those hopes for a really interesting scene going on vanished when I realised there are factors which work against the place.

Basically location, people living at home and taxis have a hugely adverse affect about partying in or around the place, and the early parties in Belfield dry up as people get older and less reckless.

The Departments having so many students generally dont have a direct student affect, it took me quite a while to develop relationships with lecturers and they have steered me well, but a lot of people seem reluctant to kind of go in there and pester the feckers (thats what theyre partially there for!).

Theres also a huge feeling that activities are not something you really go to, theres posters and events and talks and departmental stuff but who really goes...? Not many and thats because it seems kind of hollow for some reason in UCD to do these things. Ill never work out exactly what that is but it certainly exists.

Plus the food is awfully expsensive and that dosent help keep people around and happy if theyre eating junk, and overpriced junk too!

Its a shame, its not a bad college but it can be dreary and though I would say get involved I realise that dreariness has a way of working on people on the day to day actually physically doing it basis.

Mind, I am happy I went, I learnt a lot and met good people, overall a B for effort. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've no problem moaning about, well pretty much anything, I love to moan, but I am reasonably fond of UCD. My biggest complaint it the stupid early bar closing hours coupled with the intolerance of drinking on campus, the college could have a vibrant social scene if this were not the case, as it stands if you want to be out for the night you're going to have to leave campus and as it's not very centrally located there often isn't much point hitting the UCD bar at all which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Well I've been in DCU for the past year, and its grand as colleges go, but I still prefer UCD - it has a much better buzz, there are students visible all the time - in DCU you could be wandering through the main area of college and be the only person there - even at 2 in the afternoon. There just doesnt seem to be that many people around, even in the library at the moment. You can't get food after four on the weekends, you have to break into the engineering building on Sundays because its locked (seriously!). The campus has nothing at all even coming close to Perk - have never had a decent cup of hot chocolate there, even the coffee would be worse than the Arts cafe coffee. Also they randomly close the second bar for no particular reason nearly every day :(

That said DCU is very well run and organised which is probably something UCD needs. It also has a sports centre with gym, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi ect which is very reasonably priced for students and doesnt take up that much space. As well it has three euro Tuesday in the bar where all drinks are €3 which is something UCD definitely needs! (its funny the bar is dead all other nights and completly packed out every Tuesday!).

I suppose the lesson here is that there's good and bad to every place - there's always going to be something to moan about but you can enjoy a place as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think that you hear about a lot of moaning, because in general, if people are happy about something, then they are quiet, but if they are unhappy about something they moan. For some reason people prefer to complain about stuff they don't like than praise stuff they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I would have to agree with Grimes.There seems to be a certain percentage of the UCD populace who really dont like the place.In my opinion there is a direct correlation between these people and where they placed UCD on their CAO list.If they wanted to go to trinity but failed they will generally be a "wannabe trinity student" who doesnt fit into UCD.They also tend to be arts students.This is just what I have noticed,it is far from proven fact!

How can UCD remedy this?Obviously it can improve facilities etc but the main aim in my opinion should be to ensure a higher percentage of students had UCD as the first choice on the CAO.This will not be easy especially in (reasonably) low-point courses such as arts.But I feel it will directly lead to UCD students becoming prouder of their institution and we will hear less of this "toilet paper degree" nonsense.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Okay, laugh all you want, but I can safely say that after 4 years here I still love UCD. It was my first choice on the CAO and I'm very happy here. I've made some great friends in my time here, and done some fun things. I wouldn't have even contemplated going anywhere else (even though I know DCU is probably better for computery stuff). It sounds silly, but I'm glad I have 2 years left here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Thank God somebody came out as 100% in favour... I heart UCD. Completely and utterly. There's nowhere else where I could mod a website (not that ucdsu.net takes much modding! ;)), get to know the best part of two hundred people in a year doing union stuff, host a regular radio show and get to interview people like Bell x1 while writing for a newspaper with a print run of ten thousand.

I have met some ridiculously fantastic people, and when the weather's nice there's no better place in the world to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Speaking from my perspective I think UCD is a great university its going somewhere with the new Horizons system and the Gateway plan.The best thing about UCD is the people there are so many people who you can chat to casually and even though its quite big it seems to be unusually united as a community.I would prefer UCD anytime to secondary school, you have more freedom and nobody is telling you what you can do.In UCD you can do anything the possibilities are unlimited if you have the inclination to take advantage of them. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I love it too:). I've been here 3 years, and I don't want to leave. The life of a student suits me, and I don't understand people who just want to get out of UCD. I'm doing a course I love, and even like the campus. I find it a bit strange that I like it so much, because when I was in school I couldn't wait to leave. I find I end up spending more time than I have to in ucd. Last year on Fridays, I had one lecture which was from 11-12, and I usually ended up going home around 6, because I had been hanging around for no particualar reason other than I could, and enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Blowfish wrote:
    Last year on Fridays, I had one lecture which was from 11-12, and I usually ended up going home around 6, because I had been hanging around for no particualar reason other than I could, and enjoyed it.

I totally agree with you, that happened to me a lot not thats its a bad thing its good because you have to enjoy studying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

another heart-er of UCD here. first choice on my CAO, first choice for my masters, would happily do a phd here. so comfy. department lovely. etc. talking in short sentences because drunk. but no, i'm really very fond of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I love UCD. I've made some of the best friends I'll ever have here and got involved in some great things. I don't ever want to leave and I'm damn well staying for an MA, doing finals next year scares the hell out of me.

Seriously though, I love it. It has it's problems but I love sitting by the lake and having lunch with friends and getting involved with societies and doing all manner of great things and bumping into people as I wander around. It's a truly great place. *hugs UCD*

rain on wrote:
    another heart-er of UCD here. first choice on my CAO, first choice for my masters, would happily do a phd here. so comfy. department lovely. etc. talking in short sentences because drunk. but no, i'm really very fond of the place.

Isnt there a thing about doing a Phd in the same place you did your BA and/or MA, from what Ive heard its seen as too comfy, ironically enough, Im not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jayzis, lots of positivity towards the college, eh.....!!!

Can't say I've had an altogether brilliant time this (my first) year... I had high expectations coming to UCD, and thought everything would fall into place, but partially by my own doing I've not been too active at all.
    I was planning on joining a load of clubs and getting involved that way, but because I live so far away from the campus, and I've had injuries most of the year, and I work during the week, and I've been struggling with the academic side of things, I've not been able to 'embrace' the place yet.

Next year will hopefully be different (I actually said 'next semester...' after my first semester, I think -- ugh)... I'm just gonna have to make more of an effort really. I'll try and get a job where I just work weekends (therefore allowing me to do sports!), and I'll get a bit more organised from the start.
    I'm actually looking forward to next year... I'm starting to enjoy my course a bit more, and some of the choices for 2nd year history fit right into what I wanted to do :) And I'm getting more of a feel for the place, starting to understand what I can and can't/should and shouldn't do too.

So yeah... I do actually like the campus, especially on a nice day :), and the college has alot to offer, but I've not had the university experience as of yet. Next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Chose UCD over Trinity(put DIT first and went there for a year but am much happier in UCD) and after the initial settlign in period im pretty happy. Within cycling distance, pretty decent looking campus and a generally friendly atmosphere in most places.

Overall i have nothing bad to say about UCD atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That whole Arts Block to Lake to Library to Science Block area has the aesthetic merit of a pig. And an ugly pig at that.

People-wise it's ok. The people in my class are pretty bang-on and most of my school are here so I'm far from alone, but it's somewhat... strained?

Location is crucial to all this. I could get to Trinity or UCD with equal ease. Fifteen or so minutes on the Dart, or 15 or so minutes walking respectively. Difference is, Trinity is in town. There's never anything happening near Belfield, wheras town is town, there's always a buzz in town. As it is, you end up with a sort of languid suburban feel in UCD.

And it's true, aside from the Trap, drunkeness or sport, there's **** all to do in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Had UCD as my first choice - didn't have any other options as it's the only college that offers my course - had a spot in england too though and I choose here.

I don't spend much time on campus but what time I do spend, I enjoy, joe said there's nothing to do, some words of wisdom for you: you get out of it what you put into it, ne'er a truer word said. Stuck with archaeology society since the start and have brilliant friends from it, don't do archaeology but hey, doesn't matter, if you don't like UCD then it's not all the colleges fault, my course is is no way the best planned, we had problems everywhere, didn't stop me from having a great time in UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I was another with UCD as my first choice. Like RK said, DCU might have been a better choice for the computer courses, but I couldn't have the mix of subjects there that I'm doing now (I'm BA Comp Sci).

I live right beside UCD, so the architecture wasn't really anything new to me when I started, but over the last while I've actually been surprised by how nice some of the parts of the campus can be at times. The cherry blossom trees on the path between the science building and the vetinary building have really stood out since they bloomed.
    Not too big a fan of the 'aesthetics' of the Arts block, but hey!

I'm a member of a few clubs and socs, but didn't get seriously involved in any this year, and I'm kinda annoyed at myself because of that. I'd only met a few new people up until around a month before the end of term, and that was kinda pissing me off, but a few of us got some comp sci stuff going every so often, and that was great for meeting people!

I did have the idea that everything would be super-fantastic-brilliant as soon as I got into college, and new people would be falling at my feet to talk to me; it's not particuarly surprising now that that didn't happen, though. I, of course, had to make an effort, but after putting in the effort I've made some great friends!

I haven't been at another third level institute, but I wouldn't want to leave UCD. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveMcG wrote:
    jayzis, lots of positivity towards the college, eh.....!!!

Can't say I've had an altogether brilliant time this (my first) year... I had high expectations coming to UCD, and thought everything would fall into place, but partially by my own doing I've not been too active at all.
    I was planning on joining a load of clubs and getting involved that way, but because I live so far away from the campus, and I've had injuries most of the year, and I work during the week, and I've been struggling with the academic side of things, I've not been able to 'embrace' the place yet.

Next year will hopefully be different (I actually said 'next semester...' after my first semester, I think -- ugh)... I'm just gonna have to make more of an effort really. I'll try and get a job where I just work weekends (therefore allowing me to do sports!), and I'll get a bit more organised from the start.
    I'm actually looking forward to next year... I'm starting to enjoy my course a bit more, and some of the choices for 2nd year history fit right into what I wanted to do :) And I'm getting more of a feel for the place, starting to understand what I can and can't/should and shouldn't do too.

You're post is pretty much sums up me too. I still haven't particularly settled into the place after 1 full year and this year doing f-all but I have got used to UCD now and I'm over the ''shock factor'' if you call it from crossing over from secondary school to university. After finishing my exams yesterday I'm looking forward to next year and working properly for my degree.... in other words I'll be starting afresh with my course and the social side. Still saying that I have nothing postitive whatsoever to say about the people in my course. I still find people extremely cold, distant and cliquey, it's definitely a culture in Arts and I know too many other people who say the same.
    Blowfish wrote:
    I think that you hear about a lot of moaning, because in general, if people are happy about something, then they are quiet, but if they are unhappy about something they moan.

Saying that would you expect people that have nothing positive to say to keep it all bottled in? That can not be good either. If people are ''moaning'' then they there must be a problem. Ignoring people's concerns or gripes can't solve problems. I think the relatively high dropout rates around the college prove that everything isn't perfect be it with regards to the college, the courses and personal reasons. As with people with good things to say can give inspiration to someone and give them ideas to get over difficulties, people who are ''moaning'' raise awareness to aspects that aren't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think a lot of people see UCD in terms of social life, drop out rate and academic standards as separate from the rest of Irish third level education as a whole . We are all brought up to believe that college is a freeing personal growth experience from movies such as American Pie, Road Trip and even, in my case The Exorcism of Emily Rose but in all fairness any third level college lifestyle sways more towards second level education than all night parties and booze sessions we see in the movies.
    Drop out rates for many colleges across the spectrum of Irish education are at around 15-40 % but many people have their own reasons from dropping out and its not always due to the college's aesthetics or location. I agree with the guys who say that you have to make your own social life in UCD, as the same with any college, even a city center based institution. I don't drink on campus due to its location but i still found plenty out outlets for my rantings (the wall or bellfield's Dublin wide broadcasting system) . But if its only drinking thats central to a college social life then UCD isn't the best place in the world.

Just to wind Grimes up:) I went to Queens before coming here and liked it better on all fronts:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

humbert wrote:
    Just to wind Grimes up:) I went to Queens before coming here and liked it better on all fronts:eek:

Yeah I was going to go there first time around for Law but decided to stay in Dublin instead . (my mammy wouldnt let me :rolleyes: )

Anyway all this UCD love is a welcome breath of fresh air. Group Hug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Still saying that I have nothing postitive whatsoever to say about the people in my course. I still find people extremely cold, distant and cliquey, it's definitely a culture in Arts and I know too many other people who say the same.

I'd have to say that what you've said about the people in your course applies to some of the arts modules I've encountered.
    Economics people I haven't found overly bad, but the Info Studies people in the lectures are pretty much like you described. Comp Sci people for the win, though :D

As I said above, I didn't get seriously active in any societies, but even the bit of effort I made yielded some results! (JazzSoc guys are absolutely fantastic for this, very friendly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i have to admit that i am very fond of UCD. yeah, there is a lot of cement etc but there are loads of trees, grass etc. its far nicer than any of the other campuses i have been on. i have also made some amazing friends and will be very sad to go next year. as for my degree........i cudnt be happier. was my first choice and has turned out to be everything i hoped it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Waltons wrote:
    Comp Sci people for the win, though :D
    Something I've found too. It's like all of us nerds are kindred spirits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

The people over at the quinn school were fairly friendly to an outsider (aka me) when i was there.

• Advertisement

Na science people all the way, CS people and tbh I object to the "S":), are often too much like condescending geeky comic book guy from the simpsons, not all, just some.

Advertisement