Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup-Which Dream TV?

• 12-05-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Sony Bravia
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313136

or

LG with Hard drive
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319068

My Dad has an LCD and it does not deal well with movement eg Formula1. Have seen similar problems with beach football on a 42 inch plasma. Which is going to give me a better result for the much awaited World Cup. My Heart says the Sony but my pocket would prefer the LG (which also has a bigger screen 42 vs 40)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Forgot to say the LG also has a hard drive (they drive a hard bargain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Ivan E

Don't know anything about the tv myself, but here's something about it on avforums

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338433

Also, you'll find it cheaper here

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/plasma-tv/884952/-/Article.html?viewmode=box

I don't know what the story is with them in terms of guarantees and returns but it looks cheaper. The tv itself looks very interesting spec wise. Could have issues trying to look at it locally though before you buy online unfortunately.

Sorry, that's all to do with LG. They seem to be getting good reports wherever I've researched and seem to be improving all the time. Can't say I rate Sony any more. I have it on good authority that they only aim for a shelf life of 5 years. Have a Sony at the moment and had issues with it that were sorted through an extended warranty I took out. My parents-in-law had to dump a 3 year old 32" ws CRT when the tube seemed to die. It was out of warrantly and Sony or anyone else for that matter didn't want anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I had a thread here recently asking for opinions on Bravia screens and Sony DVD Recorders. I ended up buying a 32" Samsung TV which is way better than the Bravia equivalent, to quantify that - Irish market Bravia sets don't have a DVB tuner - Samsung does- Bravia was 1700 euro, Samsung was 1400. Sony DVD Recorder had 80GB HDD for 549, Toshiba one I bought had a 160GB for 369 euro.

I like Sony style and quality but I'm more than happy with the quality of the parts I bought plus I saved over 500 quid and have a DVB TV to boot ! Oh and I got a free smoked glass stand as well !

Dixons are doing a special on a 37" Samsung for 1700 too, nearly bought it except I already have a projector and screen setup.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Get a CRT. LCD & Plasma aren't there yet.

CRT is vastly cheaper and better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Unfortunately CRT's are getting quite thin on the ground.

Sony no longer produce CRT sets. Panasonic still do their Tau range, which might be one of the best CRT options left.

Samsung have the slimfit range, though I'm not fully convinced by them. I'd more faith in their standard CRT sets.

Toshiba, from their website, still do a 36" CRT, which probably wouldn't be a bad set to go for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

i personally dont think lcd is the way to go for sport . ive yet to see a football match look good on one. have a look at panasonics range of plasma's im on my 3rd at this stage and ive never been dissapointed.i watch a lot of footie , just got the 42pv60 in for the champos league final on wednesday.cant wait for the world cup especially with tye beeb broadcasting it in HD they start at a little under €2000 for a 42" even less for a 37".

dont get hung up on dvb tuners either ireland will win the world cup before we get proper digital broadcast iun this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've watched a fair bit of football on my LE32R41B, no problems. Colour is fine, no trailing/ghosting. Once you get a decent reposnse time you're OK.

I think the fact that he's looking at 40/42" tv's in the first place rules out CRT's and also the fact he titles the thread 'Dream TV' you can also discount anything smaller.

CRT's are all fair and well but considering the room they take up, they are a considerable presence in a room. That's a huge benefit for LCD and plasmas.

If you're going to splash out on anything, then its for the world cup.

Panasonics get a good backing in most places but it seems you pay for them. You don't seem to get anywhere near the value of the LG. The question of course is the LG any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If your money was unlimited, whats the best LCD/Plasma currently on the market? and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Twodogs

eoinf wrote:
    i personally dont think lcd is the way to go for sport . ive yet to see a football match look good on one. have a look at panasonics range of plasma's im on my 3rd at this stage and ive never been dissapointed.i watch a lot of footie , just got the 42pv60 in for the champos league final on wednesday.cant wait for the world cup especially with tye beeb broadcasting it in HD they start at a little under €2000 for a 42" even less for a 37".

dont get hung up on dvb tuners either ireland will win the world cup before we get proper digital broadcast iun this country.

Eoinf,
    Can you tell me where you got your 42pv60 and how much you paid? I am looking to get one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I got it in alliance electric ive been dealing with them for ages this is my 3rd pan to get off them . They always give me a good price and trade in my old set and their service is brill,got it delivered the same day i paid for it . The staff are real sound bloke's too they dont try and bull**** you anyway when you see it it kinda sells itself . they have it in there with HD from astra and a few others running on it (sky dvd). Any sport is fookin amazing on it the final last night was brilliant had the lads over and they were all blown away by it.

I dont buy into that theory of screen burn on plasma . its has just never been an issue with me over the last 3 generations of viera.I have an lcd in the bedroom and it does my head in very smudgy and a little too bright and it was one of the top of the range 26" bravias.

if i wasnt trading in i could have bought it for around €2599 inc wall bracket. or €2699 with a pedestal. one of my mates bought it for €2699 with the pedestal in the same place.

Pop in and have a word with them i reckon youll be impressed.

Advertisement