Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roadhogs

Options
  • 12-05-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

anyone try to have a driving lesson on the industrial estate here in waterford i was out this week and was nearly hit by morons coming out of honeywell at 2 o clock no consideration for anyone and they complain about boyracers try this lot for size

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

First off Meat you'd want to change driving school , the industrial park is private property and they're not allowed bring in learner drivers thats been the policy for a long time now .
    Although I dont work on the industrial park I'd say the problem is not just confined to one premises , its just a symptom of the bad driving that goes on everywhere now and you're literally taking your life in your hands nowadays when you get behind the wheel , maybe if you went to the IDA they might install some speed calming measures out there if its such a big problem .
    BTW welcome to boards its good to see some new blood from the Deise here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I gotta agree with Meldrew, I do work on the estate and at shift changeover times, such as 8am, 2pm, 4pm, 10pm etc you are taking your life into your hands.
    There are plenty of sped ramps in place though and they have worked to slow people down a bit.
    The estate was a traditional place to learn for drivers of my age as it was extremely quiet back in the day. you'd never be suprised by anything, nowadays it's kind of mental.
    I can't really blame the lads from Honeywell for driving like lunatics though after an eight or a 12 hour shift in any factory you'd drive over your own mother to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You shouldn't be learning to drive there anyways as it is as it says on each gate "Private Property, No Tresspassing, No Dog walking". Get yourself a reputable teacher and good luck with the learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Roen wrote:
    I can't really blame the lads from Honeywell for driving like lunatics though after an eight or a 12 hour shift in any factory you'd drive over your own mother to get out.

there is never a good reason to drive like a lunatic!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Star*

Agree - you shouldn't be learning to drive in the estate.

You were very lucky to leave in one piece, working on the estate for a number of years now and do you realise how many people actually learn to drive on the estate - too many.

And always at the end of a shift or start of a shift, when sorry, I overtake them. I understand what it is like to learn to drive, but you shouldn't do it there and if you do want to learn there - do so at night or at the weekend.

during the week, people are pre-occupied with going to work or coming home from work and don't want to have to contend with a L driver as well.

I take a rather harsh stand on this and probably shouldn't class all L drivers with this- yes I know i learned to drive as well. In my time working in the estate I have seen people:

stop dead in the middle of the road - no not conking out - actually breaking for no bloody reason. luckily accident one avoided.

Forgetting to break at a the cross roads and just kept coming - accident number two avoided.

Someone crossing over the opposite side of the road to avoid speed bumps with me coming straight towards them. ( perhaps not a L driver can't remember was too bloody scared ) accident number three avoided.

Driver over take me and an L driver. ( i was in a patience mood that day )

Driving instructor actually get out of the car in front to tell me to drive around his pupil who was having problems taking off. Way to go instructor on building your pupils confidence.

oh and lets not forget the bloody dogs not on leashes that you have to avoid at times as well.

and the boy racers at the weekend.

I am but one person driving to the estate on a daily basis, and this is just a few i can remember in the last few years.

So then I don't really think you can complain about road hogs on private property when you shouldn't have been there at all.

And by the way - what i mentioned above - you better get used to that if you are learning to drive on the estate - or perhaps even just every day road usage. As for roundabouts - always have caution - cause is it me or are people clearly ignoring the whole give way to traffic on your right and yielding at roundabouts when other people are on them - specifically round about at walsh Park.?

ooopsssie rant over !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mossy Monk wrote:
    there is never a good reason to drive like a lunatic!!!! :mad:
    True, was meant as a jokey aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Roundabouts full stop I know this is off topic but are there people in this world that just don't know what lane they should be in comming on to a roundabout OMG... some of these people are idiots and I'm not talkin about the L drivers here I'll give them alittle lee-way as there only learining bless them but I'm talkin about middle aged men and women etc Truck drivers I got blowin outta it one day at the Tramore roundabout by someone who was in the wrong lane and indicating to go the wrong way idiots

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

drives me mad when people do not indicate at roundabouts

Advertisement