Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dive computers

Options
  • 12-05-2006 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Hi im looking into buying a dive computer very soon ,do any of you know of any sites that give good comparitive reviews of computers??

chris

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Reader SurveyTaken from Diver Magazine:

Divernet News 1 November 2005
    Diving Gear Top 25
    Our thanks to every diver who took part in the survey.

1. Suunto Vyper
    2. Mares Plana Avanti Quattro Fins
    3. Buddy Commando BC
    4. Apeks ATX 200 Regulator
    5. Suunto Stinger
    6. Force Pro Fins
    7. Olympus mju 600 Digital Camera and PT029 Housing
    8. O'Three Ri 2/100 Drysuit
    9. Buddy Delayed SMB
    10. APD Inspiration Rebreather
    11. Aqua Lung Legend Supreme Regulator
    12. Aqua Lung SeaQuest Diva LX BC
    13. Scubapro Mk25/S600 Regulator
    14. Scubapro/Uwatec Smart Pro Computer
    15. Seacsub Pro 2000 BC
    16. DUI GF200 XRKN Drysuit
    17. Poseidon Cyklon Metal Regulator
    18. Otter Britannic Drysuit
    19. Oceanic Delta 3 Regulator
    20. Cressi Matrix Mask
    21. Delta P VR3 Computer
    22. IST Pro Ear 2000 Mask
    23. Kowalski Speed 1250 Torch
    24. McMahon SMB Reel
    25. Ikelite PC Lite Torch

Hopes this helps, you'll notice the Suunto Vyper is #1:D

Benny

Link;

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/011105top25.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cheers benny that is a help.

Ok im looking at getting the sunnto gecko as i think the only difference between that and the vyper is the fact that the vyper has a pc interface,which i cant see the point in, a symulation mode,which i also cant see the point in and a backlight which i would like to have but i dont think it warrents an extra €70. I would very much like you oppinions on this.

Also im looking for different online retailers that ship to Ireland as i would say i could get a better deal online then in my local dive store.

Here are some i have found I dont know how reputable they are so if you have heard of them please let me know.

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/ishop/893/shopscr784.html

www.aquaholics.org

http://www.simplyscuba.com/SearchResults.aspx?PageNumber=3&Advanced=0

http://www.sportextreme.com/pz209x20352yEUR/

Also do any of you know of very active diving forums either for Ireland or just in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Hi Christohicus

I have dealt with both aquaholics and simplyscuba. I can recommend both with a preference to Aquaholics. Richard will ship to Ireland and UK FREE, which is a nice bonus. He is also willing to try and match online prices if they can. Never underestimate the LDS!!!

Cheers for the reply ,whats the LDS??

Chris ,

I use a Vyper and find it good and easy to use, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between it and the gekko. I have never used the PC interface but I know some Divers find it useful (for what I dont know:confused: ) but i'm sure it can be used to impress your friends:D .

I have used simplyscuba.com & scubastore.com and have found them both to be good re delivery etc. Just compare prices & postage.

• Advertisement

Cheers Benny. Do you use the simulation function much?? I cant really see that being too much help. Also is it easy to see the display at depth without the backlight??

Im still looking for other peoples oppinions so keep them coming.

cheers

chris

Cheers for the reply ,whats the LDS??

sorry Local Dive Store :)

Ok cheers Miss Polaris,I will certainly check My LDS out before i buy a computer,he usually gives discounts to club members.

Do you use the simulation function much?? I cant really see that being too much help. Also is it easy to see the display at depth without the backlight??Im still looking for other peoples oppinions so keep them coming.

I have a vyper also, i use the simulation mode to plan dives especially deep or nitrox dives. Granted that i dont use this function every day!

The backlight, a necessity. Especially if you dive in Ireland in some dark black holes :-) or plan on doing night dives.

The PC interface, i use religiously - but thats just me! I log my dives and like to have all the statistical info and the chart etc....NERD I know!!

But we are all different....

As for Suunto computers in general - I dont think anyone can fault them - every owner of a Suunto I have come across has only positive things to say about them.

Is the backlight really needed that badly?? i dont think i will be doing too many night dives at all.lol. Is it easily readeble in average conditions??
    Also if its that bad could you just shine a torch on it to see it??

• Advertisement

Is the backlight really needed that badly?? i dont think i will be doing too many night dives at all.lol. Is it easily readeble in average conditions??
    Also if its that bad could you just shine a torch on it to see it??

I'd like to echo what Miss Polaris wrote re. simulation, but a backlight does come in handy, on occasion I have used mine when I was in a few caverns, it stays on for a few seconds. True, you dont need a backlight in average conditions but you never know:)

Miss Polaris, is the PC interface easy to use??

Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

im using suunto gekko and its a great computer, was using a favor before that and as a entry level computer its fantastic but it doesnt have nitrox capability so its a no go for me anymore.

being a student the gekko was all i could afford at the time

The gekko does offer nitrox im fairly sure.

Taken from Suunto Wecsite
    SUUNTO GEKKO
    Product Features
    Air and Nitrox modes
    Extensive memory functions
    Suunto RGBM model
    Audible alarm
    Phosphorescent display
    Easy and reliable push-buttons
    User-replaceable battery

Benny-c wrote:

Miss Polaris, is the PC interface easy to use??

Benny

Hi Benny-c

Interface is very easy, I have the serial type but a friend recently got the new usb interface cable and it works a treat. The software is available free to download from Suunto's website - you should have a look at it.

It makes a direct contact with the vyper as opposed to some other dive computer interfaces such as the Mares M1 (which uses the IRIS) which is infra red and is a bit tempremetnal!!

Im very happy with it,

:]

yeah the favor doesnt do nitrox. thats what i was saying in my post!

Phosphorescent display

This will make it different from any other computer then....if you shine your torch on it it will give yu enough illumination to see the info. On the vyper diving in the dark holes i find myself diving in - I can shine my torch on it but the screen protector can reflect a bit and its not an ideal way - the backlight is better.

Looks like the Gekko might be for you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

It depends on what type of diving you are going to be doing and how you are going to use the Nitrox.

If you are using it as back gas then you set the mix pre-dive in the computer.

However if you are using air for back gas and nitrox for deco gas for the purpose of accelerated decompression then be aware that a lot of Air/Nitrox computers (like mine - the Aladin Pro Ultra) don't allow a gas switch for recalculation of deco stops.

Under these circumstances the computer has to be put into "guage" mode to stop it complaining about missed deco and/or O2 toxicity (and going into a disabled SOS mode) and just display depths and times and you have your deco schedule (generated by V-planner or similar) on your slate. I have to leave my Aladin Pro Ultra at home and just use a bog standard dive timer.

The Gekko doesn't have a gauge mode whereas the Vyper does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Scubagirl

I'm looking to buy gear pretty quick (as in the next two weeks). Where are the best places for low prices in Ireland?

I think
    www.aquaholics.org is probably the best.

Rick ,i dont get what you mean the favor doesnt do nitrox.Whats the favor?
    What does the Gauge mode do??

Yeah Miss Polariss I think the gekko might be for me, i cant really afford the vyper at the moment so i would have to save up for that and that would more dives without a computer,which i dont really want to do.

• Advertisement

Hi Benny-c

Interface is very easy, I have the serial type but a friend recently got the new usb interface cable and it works a treat. The software is available free to download from Suunto's website - you should have a look at it.

It makes a direct contact with the vyper as opposed to some other dive computer interfaces such as the Mares M1 (which uses the IRIS) which is infra red and is a bit tempremetnal!!

Im very happy with it,

:]

Cheers Miss Polaris,

now where did I put that credit card..................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

what are aquaholics like if computer goes defective whats there turnaround time on getting it back. Plus the cost of having to ship it over to the Uk. Had a look in a few of the dive shops and found flagship doing them for 275€

which isnt much dearer than the UK, ill think ill stick with local stores for now

Aquaholics is based in northern Ireland and there postage and packaging is free to the uk and ireland. what are you getting xzodia??

xzodia wrote:
    what are aquaholics like if computer goes defective whats there turnaround time on getting it back. Plus the cost of having to ship it over to the Uk. Had a look in a few of the dive shops and found flagship doing them for 275€

which isnt much dearer than the UK, ill think ill stick with local stores for now

Aquaholics is one of my local dive stores and could not say a bad word against them, I get me gear serviced with them too. Never had any issues with deliveries or returns etc...highly recommended.

Ireland is a big place...but thats a political arguement isn't it......

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

Im from dublin so having a shop that i can get too suits me better, thats all i was getting at. When i was talking about shipping i was talking about if you have to send it back to be serviced or defective for any reason nothing to do with shipping it from aquaholics to you

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

I had my regs serviced in aquaholics last year and even sent my drysuit there to get the zip replaced. Even when you take the cost of shipping into account (which isn't too bad) the price came in way below anything in Dublin. I saved more than 50 euro on getting my regs serviced by them over walking into a local shop in Dublin (who were actually having a special offer on servicing) even after I paid shipping both ways.

I get all my gear through aquaholics.. couldn't recommend them enough.

yeah there a top quality outfit alrite!

i bought a bauer junior II compressor thru them bout 2 years ago... excellent price on it...

i broke it when messing around with the settings and they arranged to have it picked up from dublin out by the red cow, the fixed it for free and then had it delivered back to dublin....

also bought tanks off them aswell...

very good outfit to deal with

I was just looking at knives on dimply scuba and there is a little note saying that due to some new laws they are not allowed to ship knives overseas. Does anyone know any more about this?? I presume this means i will have to either buy a knife from aquaholics or my LDS.

yeah they might not arrive as customs will prob confiscate or something along those lines..

the stores are just covering there on backs incase items do not actually get to you..

i have had no problems bring my diving knife away with me in my checked luggage

• Advertisement
Advertisement