Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

V5 - how long for second part to arrive?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I bought a used car in Scotland a month ago - 2003 Honda Accord from a dealer. How long does it take for the second part of the V5 to arrive from the DVLA? I know they say it can take up to 6 weeks but an English mate of mine said that in his experience it's nearer 2 weeks. I've got a note from the VRO in the meantime. Luckily the VRT seems to have gone down since I got the car!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi,

I made the same mistake on April 1st and got the V5 on Tuesday of this week.

Silly really I was in a rush for the boat and took off with the envelope containing the wrong half. :o
    I rang the guy when I realized on the Monday and he said he had posted it on the 1st April straight after I left.
    Anyway, least i got off with a months road tax :)

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for that Rob. I'm not sure that there was any mistake as such - as far as I know it's the seller that has to send the main part of the v5 to the DVLA and he just has to give you the little slip at the bottom of the form. I didn't know that you only have to pay the road tax from the date you pay the VRT - good news:)
    Anynoe know if the VRO give change as I have a bank draft made out for last months VRT rate!

I think your supposed to take away the bit normally sent to the DVLA, thats what it says on the half I did bring home. :)

Unfortunately the vrt went up on mine I think, by €100 :(

I do hope you dont speed or park ilegally with the uk plates ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You dont send anything anywhere, you take all of the V5 home with you present it to the VRO and they issue a new reg cert here.

Ring the DVLA in England and get them to send it to you, otherwise they wil send it back to the dealer if your not lucky.

kluivert wrote:
    You dont send anything anywhere, you take all of the V5 home with you present it to the VRO and they issue a new reg cert here.

I've dug out the bit of the from (section 10) I was given by the dealer - here's what it says:

The registered Keeper (Seller) must return Sections 1-8 of this certificate to: DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA, detach section 10 and give this section ONLY to the Buyer.

The dealer I bought from had done a few exports before so I assume they knew what they were doing.

When my wife brought the section 10 to the VRO they told to wait until we'd got the rest from Swansea before paying the VRT.

• Advertisement

fair enough, seems I did the right thing by mistake :)

Anyway DVLA will send it untouched to you with a nice letter explaining they cannot do an ownership transfer and you need to bring it to the VRO here.

Nice car btw, I'd say you saved yourself a bit.

I don't think the dealer would have let me take the other part of the form away - they were sticklers for detail. Insisted on taxing the car (at their expense!) and got me to phone up for a weeks insurance (again at their expense) even though I'd squared it with my own insurance company! I've sent the tax disc to the DVLA for a refund.

Very pleased with the car its a 2L exec with 25,000 miles - bought and serviced at the dealer I got from new. Comes with 1 year EU wide Honda warranty too! Saved 3-4,000

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

the dealer was obviously not well versed in exports.

I bought in the UK last month, and indeed I was given the ENTIRE v5, this is the only thing the VRO will accept.

Might be difficult to persuade a private seller in the UK that he's not being somehow scammed, but dealers shoudln't really give a toss when you ask for the V5 in it's entirety rather than having anything sent to the DVLA.

Thanks for all the replies lads. I phoned the DVLA this morning - they said that the dealer was in error and have asked me to send them another form - Application for Certificate of Permanent Export (V756). They said it would probably take another 2-3 weeks to sort out - I hope the VRT continues to go down! Apparently notes on the correct proceedure for export are on the V5 but not on the section that was given to me!

I probably would have found out sooner except that I sent my wife down to the VRO and she wasn't sure where the other part of the V5 was at that stage so they couldn't advise her.

Anyway when I phoned tha sales manager at the dealershipwhere I bought the car he admitted that the only "exports" he'd done before were to the Isle of Man! In his defence he did say that he wasn't prepared to sell untaxed cars and apparently when a car is taxed in the UK and there's also a change of ownership the post office (they handle car tax in the UK) will not give the main part of the V5 back as they post it to the DVLA.

don't bother sending the extra forms, I did and it was a waste of time. The dvla will just send you the V5 form as is and you can use that at the vro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement