Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice

Options
  • 12-05-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I have agreed to build a site for my Dad for his company. It will have a few basic pages plus an extensive online catalogue.
    I have a decent knowledge of html but am a novice at php, mysql etc.
    I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be. (what kind of database, etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 schnupi

well i went through the exact same progress last year. i made a homepage for my dad's company. i just knew some webdesign and pleinty of html. as the homepage didnt need any php or database, i.e. mysql, it was handy enough.

the first step i did was to thing about what i need. like which pages.. what layout could i give the homepage etc. the next step was to make the design with photoshop and convert it to html. i edited the html with dreamweaver and that was basically it. i changed many things since which turned out i could ve done earlier like a central css but back when i created the homepage i had little konwledge of css just mainly html.

well if u need a good php/mysql tutorial u may consider http://tut.php-q.net/#u1 .. this tutorial is german though... u could translate it though through the google translater .. jus type into google "php quakenet" and let this page be translated into english.. concerning the catalog.. i had a good script ones but lost it.. if i find it i give ye a shout..

well i hope this was helpful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hey chalky.
    Can't remember if it's you but pretty sure you're the guy (won't mention your name in case you don't want people knowing) in college with me...

Remember all that stuff we did in C, C++, Java etc? A lot of that can be transferred over...

PHP uses a lot of the same if, while, functions the stuff we learned in first year basically...

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp < This is a good tutorial for learning PHP and connecting to MySQL databases...

You'll need hosting with PHP and MySQL databases... this'll cost money obviously...

You can install PHPTriad or a similar app (google it) to install Apache, PHP and MySQL on your PC. You can then put your PHP scripts into a folder in the directory that's been installed to and access it from http://localhost/ when Apache is running.

You can set up a MySQL database in the MySQL client supplied and use PHP to connect to it.

You've done MySQL before and it's going to use a lot of that we did back in the day...

Harken back to the days of skipping those lectures and try and remember...

There's some good tutorials for MySQL online, just google them and use that PHP tutorial I linked to above...

www.php.net is invaluable aswell... has a huge function list and also examples for a lot of things you might need to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Yeah thats me Steve.
    I was looking at php.net earlier and I'm confident I can do the php part ok, thanks for those tutorials schnupi and steve, thay should come in really handy.
    Unfortunatly I haven't done MySQL before (remember steve, I didn't do that class). I'm downloading PHPTriad at the mo so I'll try that.
    Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

try xampp as well.. its a local server for windows.. very handy.. and i advise u not to get an irish server.. well only if u want to save money.. otherwise it wouldnt really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

schnupi wrote:
    and i advise u not to get an irish server.. well only if u want to save money.. otherwise it wouldnt really matter

fantastic! post of the day by far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

EasyPHP is another easy to use platform for MySQL and PHP

and for a great PHP editor try PHPDesigner 2006

now i found what i wanted to show u.. i suppose it will be helpful.

every heared of oscommerce? here is a little extract from their homepage:
    "osCommerce is an Open Source based online shop e-commerce solution that is available for free under the GNU General Public License. It features a rich set of out-of-the-box online shopping cart functionality that allows store owners to setup, run, and maintain their online stores with minimum effort and with no costs, fees, or limitations involved."

u can get it from here http://www.oscommerce.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah if you know C++ you'll have no trouble with php. Piss easy even though sometimes it can be confusing as it allows for errors unlike c++ and it can be hard to spot them at times.

Advertisement