Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom RC

Options
  • 12-05-2006 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I am thinking of making my own basic, electric, beach buggy :P
    I want it to have power, and speed
    It will need more power than speed,
    also
    Li-po, wil it work ? with a brushed set up? OR if you can tell me some not to costy good batterys that will give me about 20 mins run time ? is that possible :confused: also, when not on sand it could be on rocks, or tar mac

OK
    here is what i need:

Power
    Bit o' speed
    Good batterys
    15-20 min runtime on those batterys
    oh and a charger would be nice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Power + speed + 20 mins duration.
    <thinks> If it was glowfuel what size would the tank have to be?

I think you will have to stick 4 wheels onto a battery to get that combination ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

speed isnt that important but would be nice, 20 min runtime is the same, 10 - 15 will do, or am i still asking for too much :P, any ideas on where to get tracks, that i can put on, take off the weels?

oh and by speed, is 30mph alot? and power is only to move threw sand and over small rocks

Forget lipo and brushless. They are fragile and expensive compared with brushed and nimh.

Last year I did a "messing about" project based on a prop driven sand yacht trike. I used 4mm carbon fibre, lite plywood, carbon roving (CF string) and superglue for the materials. time taken approx 4 hours. There are still pics on my website.

It should be possible to do a lightweight model from similar stuff using an €8 speed 400 motor, or a S480 for more power, and a €25 8 x 1050 nimh battery. Such an arrangement would have a lot of power for its size/weight. Chassis deck could be 3-4mm balsa sheet with thin fibreglass superglued top and bottom for sandwich rigidity.

Steering and geared reduction would be the biggest challenge, given that weight should be minimal. If I were doing it, I would use an Aeronaut 3:1 gearbox, and run that via some cannibalised drivebelts from a scrapped CEN to the drive wheels. The belt lengths could be used to decide wheelbase length.

Not sure what wheels would be wide enough and light enough. Maybe softer wheels like the ultra lightweight foam aircraft wheels would give a softer ride, and thereby make the suspension easier to do.

You could use rubber bands or put the wheels on flexi outriggers to soften the bumps.

hummm, thanks for that ;-)
    I have a 2'x4' sheet of polty styrene/acrylic (not sure) and it would be harder than blasa so it wont get big gouges and scraps as easy would it? plus i already have it, I will go with the motor and batterys you suggested i think, yeah the drive would be my hardest with the gears, i was thinking of trying to source and old TA B4 and steal the front end of it, or go completely custom, i would need help with working the steering and all the stuff ;-/
    anywho I will have more posts/info tomorrow :)

Vectra: I will be racing (rowing) down in fermoy hopefully in the next few weeks, if we just happen to be down one of the nights your racing, any chance we could come and spectate? (we = me and my brother)

• Advertisement

OK
    I went up to my room, took out my jigsaw and laid the acrylic on the desk, becan to cut :) now i have a retangle that i masked one side so i can draw on, will make the general outline now and cut, then will get pics ASAP
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flunked wrote:
    Vectra: I will be racing (rowing) down in fermoy hopefully in the next few weeks, if we just happen to be down one of the nights your racing, any chance we could come and spectate? (we = me and my brother)

Not a bother but i think it would be Sat/Sun when you would be down rowing?
    We race Wednesday nights only. :(

ah yeah it would, and i dont think i will be rowing down there anymore:(

Fobia: if you read this and have time, could you change the thread title to "Custom RC"? thanks

We run 27 turn motors and would get a continous racing of about 8 to 9 minutes out of one of my sons packs or my packs of cells
    GP3,700 Matched packs
    Like these ones.

So I reckon running 2 wheel drive and just messing about you would get 12 mins from them;)

ok, thanks, if i ran 2 sticks would that increase power or runtime 0.o
    i am making my self templates till im done, this will be very very lite, the batterys will be the only heavyy bit on it i thnk, and it will be.... 27 -24 cm in lenght and.... about 14cm wide :)and its nice and see threw XD
    I was on the green hobby site, i see "Rondo 480 w/480 motor" i dont think the 480 motor will be fast but i dont care ;-), if i run that with the pack vectra mentioned (maybe 2) should i get about a 10 min runtime? and coolwings, if possible do you know roughly how much that costs?
    thanks all, this will go slower threw the week as i am in school and have exams, hope to get the electronics on saturday tho :)
    thanks
    good night
    oh and, what volatge is that battery vectra? and coolwings, will that motor and esc have enough power from those batts ? i should probably do more researhc for myself but got to go

• Advertisement

Flunked wrote:
    ok, thanks, if i ran 2 sticks would that increase power or runtime 0.o
    i am making my self templates till im done, this will be very very lite, the batterys will be the only heavyy bit on it i thnk, and it will be.... 27 -24 cm in lenght and.... about 14cm wide :)and its nice and see threw XD
    I was on the green hobby site, i see "Rondo 480 w/480 motor" i dont think the 480 motor will be fast but i dont care ;-), if i run that with the pack vectra mentioned (maybe 2) should i get about a 10 min runtime? and coolwings, if possible do you know roughly how much that costs?
    thanks all, this will go slower threw the week as i am in school and have exams, hope to get the electronics on saturday tho :)
    thanks
    good night

You would need a speed control capable of taking the power of two packs.
    You could bould a 7 or 8 cell pack and that would improve runtime and would boost power
    I had a brushless system before and the power was awesome ( equal to an 8 turn motor)
    and runtime was simply fantastic. around 14 to 15 minutes literally "on the throttle" :D

This esc would take an 8 cell pack

This is the Brushless system i had :D

If you use the C-cells they are 60grams each, and you need to make a speed 600 (mabuchi 540 / johnson 5421) system
    battery = 6 x 60g = 360grams.
    motor = 200grams
    power system = 560grams + speed controller.

OTOH

If you use the 400 or 480 motors, you should use lighter batteries, like an eight pack of KAN 1050s which are 20 grams each.
    8 x 20g = 160g
    motor 400 = 70 grams, 480 = 100 grams
    power system = approx 260 g + speed controller.

So pick your power system:
    My suggestion is
    for 1:10 size use the size Vectra suggested, for 1:12 - 1:16 size use the 400/480 size.

okey dokey, i think i will go with the smaller motor and batterys as they sound cheaper:D
    Well, i drew out a template and got cutting, was kinda messy so took out the dremel and cleaned it up, then got out the sand paper and did a bit more cleaning :) I will hopefully have pics soon and will give exact mesourments if you like?
    well this is fun:D
    good night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sorry I took so long - I only tend to scan over these threads as I've never been that interested in the RC cars side of things, if you want something done just PM me and I'll see it easier. :)

will do :) thanks for that

*UPDATE*
    Becuase the pictures havnt come yet, I will give you a paint preveiw of the chassis, my webcam is working to day but all my stuff had to go up to teh attic as the walls are being skimmed, so it will be soon :) I was thikning if i add an upper layer along the middle will it streghtn the cahhsis as it is quite week at the moment
    here it is: it is a quick job and out of porportion but iges the general jist of it
    rccar2zs.jpg

Flunked wrote:
    *UPDATE*
    Becuase the pictures havnt come yet, I will give you a paint preveiw of the chassis, my webcam is working to day but all my stuff had to go up to teh attic as the walls are being skimmed, so it will be soon :) I was thikning if i add an upper layer along the middle will it streghtn the cahhsis as it is quite week at the moment
    here it is: it is a quick job and out of porportion but iges the general jist of it

Starting to look like a Mardave chassis
    what are you making it out of?

to me it looks like a elongated pan car:D i am making it out of acrylic, not strong but light, maybe if its succesfil i will try duralliam or polycarbonet ;)

But not very good ones.... well here you go:
    picture0050yc.jpg
    picture0069mc.jpg
    rccarsize1md.th.jpg

Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

OK I want to make this even more unique! I am etching my inatials onto the un the underside of the chassis! but I think i might make another seccond chassis and put it under so the whole thing will be stronger :) I have a picture of what the etch will be.
    Also, I have a basic plan Of the layout, does anyone know of any 1/16 - 1/18 cars that I could take the gearing off? and maybe the steering if I am stuck, I will also need a... Transmission is it 0.o or differential? cant remember the name of it now, Its where the drive train goes in and an axel comes out to drive the weels? XD well yeah that all I need
    and more, for green hobby :P should I bring the chassis to the shop with me? just to see what you think and pointers ans I can tell if the parts will fit before I buy?
    One more: I am going to buy a dremel router attachment when i am home form holidays, I will make the a-arms then :)
    any who Here are the pics:
    eych3mz.jpg
    more crappy pics in a few mins! BTW as I get into more building stages I will try and get my mams digi cam-good pics :P

OK I tryed to make a quick panoramic veiw form the pics I took: get the jist? thought so
    all1rx.jpg

There is a huge collection of car bits from many different cars in Green Hobby. You should be able to pick and mix from different makers components to get a combination of sub-assemblies that does what you need.

I would be inclined to take the chassis in there and place various bits on top to see what will fit where, and how much space it needs, and so on. Like doing a jigsaw.

I was talking to a guy in there today who had a scratch built RC 1:10 leccie Impreza car, made from a mixture of HPI (or thunder Tiger), CEN, and Carson parts. It works too! At least well enough & long enough for him to be shopping for new tyres ...

heh hegh, nice, maybe when I get accsess to a mill ( dunno when) I will make a nitro 0.o aluminium chassis :)
    anywho I will pop over to Green Hobby & Model when I am home form holidays and finished form school :) will have 3 months to do this baby :P
    Oh my hand made a speedy recovery along with my toe, but there not right yet, time will tell :) I had a pic of a draft for the A arms, I am going dual deck, 2 a arms either way, tho is might not happen, still planning :rolleyes:
    cya, (wishing myself look in exam)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

good luck in the exam and the speedy recovery

Exams are OVER!
    3 month holiday XD
    and
    my hand is basicly better just week sometimes :)
    AND
    I am off to the canary islands in less than 24 hours
    :D AND I got high quiality PIcs to upload for you after my dinner :) I will edit the post with more PIcs!
    Bleh not working atm, pics in a weeks time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'll be going there in augest, wonder if there's any model shop's.

Yeah its pretty cool tho we went early and no one my age is tehre :( if you are going to green field or green park, brilliant its the best... pitty I am not there, yeah I am writing form the hotlel with wierd keyboards that can do this: ¿¿¿ÇÇÇñññªªªººº:D

Advertisement