Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Police

• 12-05-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Anyone here like them?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Yeh a great band in their time , much better than sting's solo stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

meldrew wrote:
    Yeh a great band in their time , much better than sting's solo stuff

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

Yeah great band alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy thier first two albums and forget the rest unless you really like Sting (who basicly took over after Regatta De Blanc).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mike65 wrote:
    Buy thier first two albums and forget the rest unless you really like Sting (who basicly took over after Regatta De Blanc).

Mike.

I don't agree. I thought Synchronicity was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Zenyatta Mondatta for me. One of the best ever.
    Stewart Copeland is my drummer in that fantasy band game.
    What genre are they, though? They skirt on the edges of prog, yet stay far away enough to avoid firm classification as 'rock' per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What genre are they, though? They skirt on the edges of prog, yet stay far away enough to avoid firm classification as 'rock' per se.

Very mainstream rock, but I don't want to get into the tireless 'Genre' debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Great band. Really enjoy their music. I dunno about in their day, but for me they're not mainstream anymore...a little bit prog maybe. They definitely achieved maintream popularity, anyway, if that's any distinction.
    Love all of Sting's stuff.

I thought they were reggae? ;) At the time they were "new wave" but that did'nt really fit either.

People forget now how big, nay huge they were from 1981 to there demise, easily as big as U2 in thier pomp. One album spent about 4 months on top of the US chart.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They were great in their day, Stewart Copeland is one of the best drummers ever.

The 'Message in a Box' box-set is well worth getting if it's still around - it contains all their studio albums plus all their B-Sides, a couple of live tracks, and their first single (Fall Out) and b-side which never made it onto any of their LPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Message in a Box is still in lots of shops, it goes for between 50-60 Euro. Well worth it, so many good extra songs. I bought it despite already owning all the albums! I'm looking for the albums on vinyl, anyone see them anywhere? I already have Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine.
    Zenyatta Mondatta is probably my favourite album, I love When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around and Man in a Suitcase. I play bass and Sting's my main influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

amazing band. top class.

Mr. K wrote:
    I bought it despite already owning all the albums! I'm looking for the albums on vinyl, anyone see them anywhere?

I have all the albums on vinyl, the first 3 'kick' a lot more than the CD re-masters.

There was only 500 copies of their first single, Fall Out, which they packed into the sleeves themselves! It's worth a small fortune now, but there was a later version of it pressed by A&M which is collectable, but not as valuable. People always get ripped off buying the later pressing thinking it's the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No, but I've been meaning to get some. Zenyatta Mondatta you say?

Many consider Zenyatta Mondatta their worst album, but I disagree! Most say Regatta de Blanc is the best. While agree that it's wicked, it's not quite the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I really cant stand sting or the police one of the most overated bands of all time

Police trivia - Stewart Copelands dad was a top spook for CIA (and a musician to boot!) Brother Miles Jnr ran the IRS lable and signed REM before they made it big with Warners. Andy Summers is 64!

Mike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

THe police were a terrific band. I have all the albums on vinyl and as a bass player myself I guess Sting is probably up there as an influence.
    Incidentally, I met them backstage when they played Leixlip Castle around 1980/81. I was a first aider and had to patch up Stewart Copeland who was covered in cuts. The crowd was a tad on the rough side - back in those days you could bring drink into festivals - and some asshole chucked a glass bottle at the stage which smashed all over the drums. Best bit was that Sting stopped mid-song and identifed the guy who did it. The security guards moved in and took him backstage where he was shown the error of his ways in no uncertain terms.
    Ahh happy days.
    :D

I remember reading about that! Wow, some of ye seem as enthusiastic about the band as I am! Anyone in Limerick like them?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Police trivia - Stewart Copelands dad was a top spook for CIA (and a musician to boot!) Brother Miles Jnr ran the IRS lable and signed REM before they made it big with Warners. Andy Summers is 64!

Mike.

A friend of my Dad drove their coach when they played Lexlip castle, and fans almost tore it to pieces on the way out!

The Copeland brothers were brought up in Saudi Arabia when their Dad was working for the CIA and both spoke fluent Arabic.

Amazing how old Andy Summers was, he was 38 when The Police released their first LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Mr. K wrote:
    I remember reading about that! Wow, some of ye seem as enthusiastic about the band as I am! Anyone in Limerick like them?

Hey Mr. K, from just outside limerick myself,and Im a big fan. Stewart Copeland would be one of my principle influences as a drummer!

More Trivia, Stewart Copeland writes scores for movies, and also used to play with Oysterhead with Les Claypool from Primus.C

I knew there had to be somebody! Is Copeland's non-Police work good? For that matter, is Summers'? I have all of Sting's solo stuff.

Mr. K wrote:
    I knew there had to be somebody! Is Copeland's non-Police work good? For that matter, is Summers'? I have all of Sting's solo stuff.

Nope. Copeland's Klark Kent stuff was ok, but his serious stuff like 'The Rythmatist' isn't up to much. Summers stuff, especially the two LP's with Robert Fripp are complete arse.

Advertisement