Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish - how are you fixed?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Just wondering how everyone is fixed doing honours Irish? It's really getting to me just how much stuff we have to learn off for this exam and we're not guaranteed anything "certain" to come up, nothing. I sit down to learn something but there's so much to learn and so little time left!! And I need to get an honours for my course....

What's everyone else learning??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i just did a question on an Triail there now, and on Dán do Mhelissa yesterday evening..

hhmm yeah there is a lot, but i dunno, i feel its kinda comign together now.. sorta.. compared to the mocks like.

and i fulled off a B2 in the mocks somehow (good oral i think) and im aiming for just a B3, so HOPEFULLY things will go ok.

Urchill an Chreagain, AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

thats the only thingn i have a serious issue with.. oh, and i HATE LIg Sin i gCathú, but i think i might come up.. dunno why.. just to piss me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Rockerette wrote:
    hhmm yeah there is a lot, but i dunno, i feel its kinda comign together now.. sorta.. compared to the mocks like.

and i fulled off a B2 in the mocks somehow (good oral i think) and im aiming for just a B3, so HOPEFULLY things will go ok.

Wow, I really wish I felt as prepared as yourself Rockerette... Fair play to ya tough u must be putting in some hard work. You know when you're answering questions on poetry and stories, do you generally write from your own thoughts or do you learn off much stuff or notes from your teacher??

I was thinking I've been relying too much on teacher's notes, maybe it would be best on poems and stories to use your own Irish, what do you think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Muiriosa wrote:
    Wow, I really wish I felt as prepared as yourself Rockerette... Fair play to ya tough u must be putting in some hard work. You know when you're answering questions on poetry and stories, do you generally write from your own thoughts or do you learn off much stuff or notes from your teacher??

I was thinking I've been relying too much on teacher's notes, maybe it would be best on poems and stories to use your own Irish, what do you think??
    i use my own irish normally and throw in a few phrases from notes that i think are nice! using your own irish (if it's correct) is really handy as you know exactly what you're writing and you understand it more!! i'm not feeling that prepared at the moment. Paper 1 should be grand..but it's paper 2 i'm dreading! anyone thing an cearrbhach mac cába will come up???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm technically doing honours Irish, but I literally haven't done a thing since the oral...and even then it was a night before job. Last year my Irish teacher was our old principal who came out of retirement for some reason; he used to just tell us stories and do quizzes for the whole of 5th year basically. This year my teacher is a fcuking little bollocks who I purposely don't do work for just to spite him. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in the middle of doing his H.Dip and somehow ended up teaching the honours class in my school.

So, although I can't really bring myself to admit it I'll probably be picking the blue paper on the day of the exam. It's gonna break my heart because I love the language so much...but then again there's no point in killing myself just so I can say I did honours Irish to keep me pleased.

But then again, I know pretty much all of the poems quite well..but then I just think of the fact that I couldn't have less of a clue about An Triail, Clare Sa Spéir and whatever the else is on that bit. I was thinking I'd be able to pass it with doing a night before job, but if I'm not sure I'm not going to be stupid and risk it.

This is a far cry from the level of Irish I expected myself to have at 6th year...my aim was to be pretty much fluent at this stage. Bollocks so it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭whassupp

i think ill do alright. im not really botherin with the stair. its only 5 percent. ill cover the mail topics and bull**** my way through it.

whats with the poetry and pros? why do they have to be so borin and complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

most of the poerty and prose is pretty simple if you ask me.

And IMO no chance of Uirchill coming up. Last year an almost identical poem came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Paper 1 should be grand..but it's paper 2 i'm dreading! anyone thing an cearrbhach mac cába will come up???

I thinkk Cearrbhach is almost a dead certainty - it came up on all the mock papers as far as I know and it seems to be a hot tip with any Irish teacher I've spoken to... Then again, what do they know at the end of the day, they're not setting the paper. I'd study It well though just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I got a B2 in the Mocks without doing much, but Im not taking that chance with the real thing. We are getting an essay a night at school, I have 2 essays for monday.

So thats plenty of revision. It wasnt until the Mocks that I realised how long Paper 2, it goes on for ages!

I have a feeling that Oiche Nollaig na mBan will come up..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I hate paper 2. It's too long, there's too much to study and too much to write. Though in general I can bluff my way through it.

i dont think the poems are that bad at all, theyre all pretty harmless now in fairness.
    Gealt anyone?! Jack?!? ahahahaaaa..

I have a notebook.. (yes, like you do in 2nd class..) with vocab in it.
    each poem/prose has a wee page, with all the words i think i'll need to know for it. some only have a few words, others have more.
    or little sentences either, for talking about the poems, nothin major like.

my main focus is just to know key words for everything..

but i never "learn off things" like some people do. my way of thinkin is that its best to understand what you should be writing. so with the stair for example, get it into your head in english what each one is telling you, then put it all together. again, highlight the keys words you need to know specifically, and just learn those few off.. and then you should be able to structure your thoughts around those..

thats just what i do, and it works pretty well for me, but im sure it aint up everyones street!

i really hope the aural is good. its worth a fair bit.. i've always been pretty ok at it, but it could easily go horribly wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Got a B3 in the mock. Poetry ain't worth a damn. For the amount of marks it is its not worth the time you put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'm so screwed :( Got a C1 in the Mocks, but that was pure fluke as the only essay I'd learned came off and we knew a lot of what was coming up. I'd love to do pass, but I'm hoping I can get a C3+ and that's the equivalent of an A1 in Pass, which I'm unlikely to get...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

poetry and prose are worth nothing for the amount of work you put in for them, im gonna learn off key phrases etc too and just concentrate on a good essay.
    an trial im worrying about though-my teacher (sub due to ill teacher) has never ever read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Ive been handing up loads of poetry and pro questions (best practice) going to try and get a good few essays done too! i love uirchil an chreagain!its easiest one to anwser on imo because its such a hard poem, the question will be fair enough! stair na gaeilge really have to get my head down on that one!leamhthuisicnt ive been doing a few!im going to start doing a bit of listning every night!i want a b1 so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Wrong thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Garret wrote:
    most of the poerty and prose is pretty simple if you ask me.

And IMO no chance of Uirchill coming up. Last year an almost identical poem came up.

well idunno but my teacher writes the irish books and know quite a bit and said uirchill is pretty likely

what essay are people learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what essay are people learning?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cool: down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

:(:confused: why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

:(:confused: why?

because it's wrong. it's cheating, it's filth, it's a lazy way out.

i wanna take you on brain power for brainpower on the day, both starting off at 9am. if you learn essays off, your giving yourself an unfair advantage.

it shows you aren't strong enough to cope with writing a fresh essay on the day. that's what the mentally weak people do who can't hack the pressure and bottle it.

don't clog you mind up with stuff like that, the less you have to learn the better as your mind can think better and clearer as it has less data to recall, just like a computer.

A full 100gb hard drive = slow load up and response times, an empty 100gb harddrive is nice and snappy.

......i should write a book. im nearly sure i could write a book on anything :p

PrettyInPunk, ignore smemon. his comments are like a bad smell.. you get used to them after a while :D

(you know i love you smemon..)

But i do share his GENERAL opinion that learning off essays is a bad idea.
    i never do.
    cos then when the essay title you're not looking for doesnt come up its like "OMG IM GONNA FAIL WHAT THE HELL CAN I WRITE ABOUT I HAVE NO IDEA OF ANYTHING"

my approach is read through them, and pick the most interesting one. and most of the time it'll be 90% new material for me to write..

BUT
    if i was into learngin stuff off, i'd go for.. i dunno... drugs.. road accidents.. pollution.. etc etc.. the usual

• Advertisement

Imho it's all about strategy. Strategy in choosing the minimum amount to study that will give you the most marks in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I go to an Irish speaking school, so Irish is no bother to me, a bit like an easier English course. From what I can see you don't get as much creative freedom when discussing poetry or prose as you would in English though, which is a pity because I hate using teachers' notes.

Pfft - that's cheating.

Advertisement