Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Definate scam but how?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

My sister advertised her car for sale on buyandsell. Got a guy interested who contacted her via email. He doesn't seem to care about seein the car before he buys it...Like are we supposed to be that someone who has their "own personal shipping agent that will handle the shippment" is going to buy a '99 Fiat Punto with over 100k miles lol
    My question is though, what exactly is the scam?

Does he intend getting the address of where the car is located and robbing it?
    Or will the bank draft not clear?
    Anyone else had a similar email?
    Anyway I have told her to stop replying to his emails and under no cicumstances send him the information he's asking for.

Here's an extract from the emails, note the appalling English!
    scammer wrote:
    Thanks for your reply,there's no problem,so try to send me the reqiured information below today and later you will send me the picture so that the cheque can be issue today and send to you by tomorrow.Okay and i want you to considered it sold to me.OK

{1} FULL NAME:

{2} FULL ADDRESS:

{3}LAST ASKING PRICE:

{4}PHONE NUMBER :

To enable me to instruct my client to issue the cheque as soon as possible.
    NOTE: I DONT NEED P.O BOX ADDRESS....................

Am a contrator and also a buyer of used GOODS,I based in WEST AFRICA ,But currently am in GERMANY for a contract and i will soon be back.

And also i will like you to convert the amount in EURO to UK CURRENCY because my client will issue you UK BANK DRAFT,so go to www.xe.com to convert it.Okay.

And morover the amount that will be on the cheque will be for the amount of the CAR and the shipping amount,so that when you get the cheque and get clear into your acount you will now send the remaining funds to the shipping agent for the pick-up of the CAR from your end,so that's all let me hear back from you asap,waiting for your swift response.

Thanks for your co-operation.
    TOM
    scammer wrote:
    Hello, I\'m highly interested purchasing your CAR advertised on the Net.I checked and confirmed the detail\'s which is gonna serve me a great
    deal.Tell me what is The present Condition. ?? What is the last asking price ?Preffered method of payment is by BANK DRAFT Which\'s going to take 3-5 days to get clear. As for the shipping I have my own personal shipping agent that will handle the shippment , I need a quick respond as I want to complete the transaction within a short period of time,I\'ll be expecting your mail soonest. If really you are very
    Interested.Send pics if really avialable. Plz Kindly get back to soonest.So that we can bring this transaction to fruithfullness.Thanks and God Bless. Respectfully, Buyer..!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

without doubt a scam, gotta love these guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I see the scammer is from West Africa. Does anybody want to bet that he also had a very rich uncle who was shot by the President or the army and he has a lot of money he needs to invest because of this.

Usually when you see West Africa, the alarm bells go off. Nigerian???

I have heard about this scam before and I think it is something to do with the bank draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭EPO_MAN

saw an ad in the bank for this kinda thing.

They will send you a cheque or wahtever for more than the amount and then you will be obiolged to refund them the difference. then the cheque / draft will bounce and they've made off with teh "change" you've sent them.

there is a 2nd part but i cannot remember the detail...it probbaly (if I rem correctly) involves egtting you Acc details ...but I don't rem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the draft will clear ,you will send the remander of the money with western union because it clear...

and in a few weeks the bank will spot the draft is forged and take the money back off you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Didn't give it a proper read but how it works is he send cheque to her account, the money will show up as active in her account and she then transfers the remaining money from her account to his buddy, the cheque then bounces and your left with a bounced cheque and whatever amount you sent taken from your account. You get to keep the car but they get 3K or whatever it may be of your money for nothing.

This must work a charm for many scammers since it's so common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I love how the word CAR is in capitals all over the e-mails. They're like form e-mails that they just fill in the blanks with the description of whatever it is they're running the scam on this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

EPO_MAN is right. This happened to a mate od mine who sold a dog to a guy from Holland. The draft arrived and instead of being for €350 it was for €3500. My mate emailed him and told him. He was told that he should lodge it and then post a cheque back for the difference. Someone was to be sent ASAP to collect the dog. My mate went to the bank (can't believe he fell for it). When he presented it to the teller she went into the back office for a minute, came back out, carried on as normal but slowly and sure enough the Gardaí arrived. My mate got away with it cos he handed over all the emails and 'co-operated' as best he could.

Watch out - it sounds like similar scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

crosstownk wrote:
    EPO_MAN is right. This happened to a mate od mine who sold a dog to a guy from Holland. The draft arrived and instead of being for €350 it was for €3500. My mate emailed him and told him. He was told that he should lodge it and then post a cheque back for the difference along. Someone was to be sent ASAP to collect the dog. My mate went to the bank (can't believe he fell for it). When he presented the teller went into the back office for a minute, came back out, carried on as normal but slowly and sure enough the Gardaí arrived. My mate got away with it cos he handed over all the emails and 'co-operated' as best he could.

Watch out - it sounds like similar scam.

Interesting... why would they assume your friend would be involved in the criminal side of things if it was his account though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

He did, after all, arrive in a bank with a dodgey draft. The bank called the Gardaí - I imagine these things are taken seriously. The Gardaí may have assumed that he may have been involved to some small extent. Maybe they wanted to make him worried in an effort to have him tell the whole truth!!!! Who knows - but my mate was a bit worried for a day or so!

They interviewed him twice and he got a few calls from them after that asking if he had heard from the guy in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would stay away from these type businesses.these guys are proper scam but the funny thing is many people fall for it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Advertisement