Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler trouble?

Options
  • 12-05-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I am a complete dummy when it comes to my boiler system. (Reared on open fires and immersions). My house is oil heating. Anyway, tonight I had the heating on for a while and it was grand and heated the house. But then the rads went completely cold even though I had the boiler switched on to constant and not to timer. It doesn't seem to be right to me as I imagined that the thermostat would let the rads cool etc and start heating agian or am I wrong? Every rad in the house is gone cold. Any ideas? Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

rondeco wrote:
    I am a complete dummy when it comes to my boiler system. (Reared on open fires and immersions). My house is oil heating. Anyway, tonight I had the heating on for a while and it was grand and heated the house. But then the rads went completely cold even though I had the boiler switched on to constant and not to timer. It doesn't seem to be right to me as I imagined that the thermostat would let the rads cool etc and start heating agian or am I wrong? Every rad in the house is gone cold. Any ideas? Thanks in advance..
    There is a big tank out in the back garden - it should have lots of oil in it - has it :):):)
    If you push the reset button on the burner (thing fastened to the front of the boiler) and it tries to start, but cuts off again - also likely no oil.
    There is a button beside the thermostat dial on the boiler, (maybe under a cover you twist off). Pressing the button will reset the safety thermostat (If this is the problem).
    If there is a thermostat in the house, in this warm weather it may be set too low. Make sure that it is above the "click". It will click at the temperature in the room at the time.
    All I can think of for now,
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Thanks Jim, just got a fill of oil on monday. I'll try the other options. Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you ran out of oil before the fill then there is a possibility of an airlock.

If the boiler is firing there may be a problem with the pump.

Advertisement