Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making the transition!

• 13-05-2006 4:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

heres the story.

I was in my friends house and i stumbled across a server that i decided to install Ubuntu on. I am a windows user, but i want to get into linux. I have Ubuntu installed and running - great!

Heres the deal, i have a router, my 3500+, a few other machines (nm them) and this server running Ubuntu. The machine itsself came straight off a rack, its tinchy!(kick ass) I dont plan on using it with a monitor, i want to use remote desktop and throw it up in the attic or something. While i was fiddling with it I came across VNC. Is this the same VNC that you can run windows on? Is the windows version compaitble with the Ubuntu VNC Package? coz I want to play about with Ubuntu using remote desktop from my 3500+(windows).

Other questions i might add would be finding software alternatives. I may make a complete transition, and wipe windows from my 3500+, but there are a few things i need windows for.

I play counter-strike:source alot and i need to be able to run that. AFAIK With Ubuntu i have more control over my machine and so on, so im hoping that cutting my services(or linux equivalant) down to give my game better performance. Would Ubuntu run CS:S the same or better/worse than windows?

I know i can use a windows emulator to run my other software needs like photoshop, Visual Basic, flash, dreamweaver and so on, so im not that fussed about the overall situation there.

Are there any good 3d modeling tools, paint tools, media software, recording software apps for linux that people can recommend?

I hope you guys can help make this transition a little smoother for me, if anyone can point out some stuff i may want to look into for general info also that would be great!

Cheers

reD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ilug have a list of alternatives to windows here, they also have other useful info for new users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

VNC is platform indepentant, the latest version of wine apparently has loads of direct3d fixes so cs:s should run just fine

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I wouldn't really try doing CS over VNC...

a server's a handy thing to have around though. I've a freeBSD server and both my laptop and desktop are dual boot WinXP/Gentoo Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

have you looked into using samba?

Advertisement