Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eight Days & Assassin's Creed

• 13-05-2006 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this isn't going to start a big fanboy debate but I have to ask, are these trailers pre-rendered or are they gameplay?

In both cases my initial reaction was 'too good to be true', definitely prerendered.

However, in the case of Assassin's Creed, I've read reports on Gamespot who say they've seen the game being played behind closed doors and their descriptions of gameplay match the trailer closely. That, along with looking at the screenshots on the official site, which match the trailer but have enough imperfections when you look closely to clearly be gameplay, are swaying me towards believing at least some of the trailer was in game footage.

Eight Days on the other hand seems to be a more clear cut case of pre-rendered footage. However, two of the assets used, the exploding gas station and the car getting shot to pieces, were used in tech demos by Sony over the last year to show the sort of things cell can do in real time. So we know some of it could be done in real time, and its clear this is one of the games Sony have invested the most in, but the animation of the characters still seem too fluid to possibly be real gameplay. The inclusion of a HUD in some of the sequences seems like a very very dodgy thing to do if it wasn't gameplay though.

The question is, were either of these trailers, or even part of them, real gameplay footage? And if so, why weren't Sony screaming it from the rooftops instead of showing us Gran Turismo 4 again... They seem to be lightyears ahead of everything else that was shown, and seem to be a reflection of what I'd call truly next gen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=126691&st=40#

:p Looks like Assasin's Creed demo is running on a 360 dev kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If that's true, though, it really only confirms it's a timed exclusive to PS3..

The public trailers of Assassin's Creed are target renders, AFAIK. Eight Days, probably a target render.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ciaran500 wrote:

lol, good stuff. Could this be argued the developers indeed DO find the 360 easier to programme/run sh!t on than a ps3? I sure think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ciaran500 wrote:

the quote says that it was running on a 360 (covered with a sheet) with a ps2 controller. even if it was true, they'd be bloody sure to hide the 360... not under a sheet. and it's so stupid it just can't be true. especially after no less then 4 (that i've counted) ubisoft people (including an exec) said it's ps3-only.... the fact that it's the prince of persia people also eludes to this.

as for the gameplay, one of the 1up staff played it and said the mechanics are the same as the video, as are the levels of graphics. if you run into someone you fall back, and they can push you etc.

sounds interesting, but i didn't really fall in love with PoP so i'll probably give this a miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It was already in development for the 360 so depending on how late Sony picked up rights to it, it might not be running properly on PS3 hardware. And it was in a cabinet covered by a sheet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ahh, the old corporate sheet trick :D highly effective tbh. This game looks good, but I dont think I'd be interested, as projectmayhem said, I'm not really into those PoP style games either. I like guns, guns, and some sneakin'. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

lol, good stuff. Could this be argued the developers indeed DO find the 360 easier to programme/run sh!t on than a ps3? I sure think so.

It could be something as simple as having more 360 dev kits to 'spare' to bring to E3. If both versions were at the same place, it might have been more convenient to drag a 360 kit down instead of the PS3 kit. It is humourous though. Sony must have swooped in late in the day to seal a deal.

Advertisement