Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The use of ozone for decay/cavities

• 13-05-2006 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

I've been reading a little bit about this and I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it... or if you're a dental expert yourself, what do you make of it?
    I've noticed from the website I was reading that a few surgeries in Dublin use it.
    I'm a bit píssed off actually, having paid 80 euro a pop for my dentist to drill&fill tiny pin-head sized cavities, when techniques (apparently) exist to "remineralise" the tooth and reverse the condition.
    Though I'm still not sure whether the 'healed' tooth would look as good as new or would need some kind of filling or veneer to look normal :confused:
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The ozone treatment is an interesting one. It only works with very small shallow cavities. The ozone is supposed to kill all the bacteria then using flouride in high concentrations in a varnish on the tooth you remineralise the tooth.

Pros: No drill, no anaesthetic,
    Cons: Only the smallest of cavities (you would not even know they were there), many visits for flouride treatment, will probable get bigger over time anyway. Unpredictable, cant do anything for cavities etween the teeth. Expensive

The machine costs a lot so the cost for patients can be very high. I would prefer a conventional filling myself but this technology may develop further and become more usefull. At the moment it is really only a marketing tool. I will wait an see.

Advertisement