Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 interface/OS + Linux details

• 13-05-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

If you want to have a look at the PS3 interface, there's a video of a demonstration here:

http://www.play-attitude.com/videosaffichage-36-Playstation-3-E3-2006---Dashboard-Playstation-3.html

It looks very much like the PSP interface. Basically you can have different users with different settings, there's a web browser, you can play music off your HDD or other devices plugged in via USB, you can use a KB/mouse also, for chatting, web browsing etc.

Also, in some interviews in the Japanese press, Ken Kutaragi talked about Linux being included in PS3 again. Basically it is what you'd have expected Linux to be, open for programming. License fees of course are not required for individual developers, but of course, support will not be as great for individual linux programmers as for licensed game developers. (Personally this is one of the things that has me most excited about PS3 :D)

Couple of other things - you can upgrade the HDD using any standard 2.5" HDD, it's not a proprietary Sony HDD. DVDs can be upscaled to high def. Footage of games can be recorded to show off what you did in a game etc, can transfer that footage to your PSP or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yup. i'm happy with the PSP interface so this is cool. certainly beats the ps2 one, which got old after about 2 minutes ;)

the linux thing is interesting. reminds me of net yaroze, only this time there's a possibility of an indy section on the ps3's online hub thingy for random people to stick their games on for everyone to download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LookingFor wrote:
    Footage of games can be recorded to show off what you did in a game etc, can transfer that footage to your PSP or whatever.

Thats a really sweet feature tbh. Sounds great. web browser etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Here are some screen grabs if your not in the mood for a 30mb movie:

vlcsnap6959408dk.th.png vlcsnap6964104ym.th.png vlcsnap6967968ma.th.png vlcsnap6970371qb.th.png

Sony's own "in-house" browser. It seems smilar to the PSP one. Tbh, i just cant wait until somebody gets the linux firefox up and running ^_^

Winters wrote:
    Sony's own "in-house" browser. It seems smilar to the PSP one. Tbh, i just cant wait until somebody gets the linux firefox up and running ^_^

a unified browser home menu system thing is a nice idea. the PSP's menu is the nicest and easiest to use thus far in any games machine i've ever used (including the 360's)...

someone told me that firefox will be pre-installed on ps3 :o

granted that could be BS, i personally wouldn't be surprised. especially now that mozilla is a "corporation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

someone told me that firefox will be pre-installed on ps3 :o

Linux will be, at least. It wouldn't surprise me if FireFox was there also, but even if it's not, one would think it'd be pretty easy to grab it off the net and compile it for your system. Though it would prob make sense for there to be pre-compiled binaries available also, for PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Looks very very nice, I wonder what kinda video formats it will support?

Looks very very nice, I wonder what kinda video formats it will support?

with a bit of luck it wont be bound to mp4. i hate converting video on psp... it's time consuming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

That is a sexy sexy interface. I wonder if you can change the background colour like on the PSP, although the black does look quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

qz wrote:
    That is a sexy sexy interface. I wonder if you can change the background colour like on the PSP, although the black does look quite well.

gamecube ftw, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

looks very nice. i have no gripes with the PSP interface so this pleases me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The fact that Linux will be on it means I probably will get one at launch. I can't wait to get my hands on it and see what I can convince the cell to do. As long as it has gcc, i'm happy:)

Advertisement