Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do NTL throttle bandwidth if you're using torrents?

• 13-05-2006 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Do they? I've been seeding a few TV shows, and it seems since I've not been able to get full speed on download again.

Do NTL do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

mang87 wrote:
    Do they? I've been seeding a few TV shows, and it seems since I've not been able to get full speed on download again.

Do NTL do this?

I am not with NTL but I'd be suprised if this is the case. Your router setup plays an important role in using torrent clients as it depends on certain ports to function. Speeds depend on a lot of factors, such as network activity, and availability and speeds of the peers you are connecting to.

Usually my downloads starts off relatively slow but as it progresses the speeds increase considerably.

But from a technical viewpoint, downloading torrents is no different from downloading any other kind of file. The only intervention an ISP my make is when you exceed your download cap, for instance, but even then it's usual. They'd rather fine you for this and get the extra revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

mang87 wrote:

Do NTL do this?

I think you mean to say that you've been seeding a few Linux ISOs.

NTL don't throttle to the best of my knowledge. You just have to make sure that you're not maxing out your bandwidth with your upload.

Eg. If the fastest you can upload while doing nothing else is 40 kB/s cap yourself at about 32 kB/s to keep other downloading and browsing working smoothly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

still getting 10meg speeds here and they've sent out a letter warning about my usage
    10meg internet is such a tease if you have to stick to 1gb a day:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Im farily shure they are not throtteling my speed,saying that i never have full speed anyway!!!! IM on the 6 meg package and im only getting 400kb/s down!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I think you mean to say that you've been seeding a few Linux ISOs.

Of course, my mistake.

Common typo.

Sorry I didn't explain too well what I meant. I get grand speed on torrents(well anything above 100k on a torrent is good imo), but when downloading from sites, such as www.unreal.ie(when I first got NTL I got 1.23MB/sec from it, stable, no variations in speed at all), but now my speed keeps jumping between 200 and 300k/sec. Unstable, erratic jumps and declines. I guess people would say not to complain about this, it's still quite fast, but I'm paying for 6Mb, not 2Mb, and the odd time 3Mb.

My upload still remains strong at 60k/sec, though.

(nah I leave my upload at about 35-40k, my max is 60. I get crap downl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ellmang

I'm getting similar problems to yourself mang87.... Ive been on to NTL a few times about it. Every time they just say "Reset your modem" and the speeds jump back up to normal. but it deffinately seems to decrease in speed when I start either downloading/seeding . I'm on the 6mn package aswell.

Anyone else had similar issues>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Hmmm.... I've tried resetting the router, but no luck. Same lousy speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

that is because with bittorrent you get what you give. you need a faster up speed to get a faster down speed unless there are loads of seeders and no leechers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

upload speed it more important than download speed with torrents.
    i noticed a real improvement when my BB upload speed got increased.
    also depends who your downloading from

Advertisement