Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Blue Chelsea Summer Extravaganza

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Looks like Carlos might join, seeing as he's been at Madrid for 10 yrs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/5033138.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I thought Carlos was past it, this is gas, Chelsea are gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Andriy Shev chen ko La la la la la la

:D

Can't wait to see him in action in a blue shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The great Sheva has landed thats some signing. For once the premiership is starting to get the world class talen (ballack, sheva) at their peak.

The Carlos one i have to admit has me baffled. I've never rated him as a full back and at 33 he is way past it so why on earth go for him. I know Del Horno was crap but even still he had time to get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

iregk wrote:

The Carlos one i have to admit has me baffled. I've never rated him as a full back and at 33 he is way past it so why on earth go for him. I know Del Horno was crap but even still he had time to get better!

Dont get this, ever see much go down his side for madrid or brazil? Hes been consistently one of the best left backs in the world for the ast 10 years. Not much gets passed him.

Possible Chelsea team

Cech
    ferreria terry gallas carlos
    makele/essien
    Lampard Ballack
    Duff Kalou/robben
    Shev

lol

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nahhh, i reckon team will be a diamond 4-4-2:

Cech
    Ferreira----Carvahlo----Terry
    Carlos
    Makelele

Essien
    Lampard

Ballack

Shev
    Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

personnaly i've lost a lot of respect for Andrei "my wife wants more money" shevchenko. IMO, he made the move for money. I seriuosly don't see any other team winning the PL next season unless Ballack and Sheva crash and burn in the prem (which I doubt will happen)

Still though, I look forward to seeing him on MOTD every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SofaKing wrote:

Cech
    Carlos
    Makelele

Essien
    Lampard

Ballack

Shev
    Drogba

2 strikers with no width , teams would blanket the midfield and nullify them.

Well in theory they would :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

sprinkles wrote:
    personnaly i've lost a lot of respect for Andrei "my wife wants more money" shevchenko. IMO, he made the move for money. I seriuosly don't see any other team winning the PL next season unless Ballack and Sheva crash and burn in the prem (which I doubt will happen)

Still though, I look forward to seeing him on MOTD every week.

He was offered £115k per week by Milan and I think around £130k per week by Chelsea. Not much of a difference when you get to that amount of money. Also I'm sure Milan would have easily matched Chelsea's wage offer. He's been with Milan for 7 years and just wanted a change and a new challenge.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in the PL anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Milan offered him 115k a year to stay, he did not make this move for money. Also, somebody might be able to confirm this, but i'm fairly sure he's only won one league title and one EC at Milan?

Dont get this, ever see much go down his side for madrid or brazil? Hes been consistently one of the best left backs in the world for the ast 10 years. Not much gets passed him.

First off, don't let him take free kicks, he's **** at them, once in a blue moon he scores and its great.
    Secondly, he is incredibly incredible attacking, like uber attacking is the word I'd use. He does leave gaps, and good teams exploit it. Of course, since there are maybe 6 good teams in the premiership, it won't be done on a regular basis, but it will get exploited.

I also reckon we could see a diamond formation from Mourinho, or a formation similar to United's back in 2002, which was a 4-2-3-1

Cech
    Carlos
    Makelele----Essien
    --Cole
    Lampard
    Ballack-
    Shev

If not, we could see the ultimate in squad rotation.
    This could well be the greatest squad ever assembled. All it's missing is an absolute magic man like Ronaldinho.

The most likely thing of course to happen is,

Cech
    Ferreira-Carvalho?-Terry-Carlos
    Makelele

Balllack----Lampard
    -Cole
    Robben-
    Shevchenko

That would be one hell of a team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

cant wait for MOTD :)

...just such a shame my team is two divisions below them though, I would love to see some of the prem players at the city ground :'(

rooney, henry, shev .....

sprinkles wrote:
    personnaly i've lost a lot of respect for Andrei "my wife wants more money" shevchenko. IMO, he made the move for money.

Yeah because you have such indepth inside knowledge of the man in question. Milan offered 115k a week and to match what ever Chelsea's offer was. Does that sound like someone who moved for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Very few top players move for the money. People like to call them mercenaries, etc. But any player in the world would be happy with £80k a week. It's the agents that have the wages so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye but in reality, say if i was doin tech support for 25k a year and somebody offered me 30k a year, i'd move. and so would anyone else. so dont be whingin coz sum fella u never met wants to move from a team u may or may not support.

so is there much more spending predicted of the "Big Blue Chelsea Summer Extravaganza"? i wonder would they be inclined to sell their players for less than other teams coz they dont need the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

TBH, MOTD aint worth watching unless there is the faint hope of an upset.The chelsea segments were the worst ones last season 'cause their matches were always the same. Chelsea control the game and cautous for the first 60 minutes and up the tempo and score. I can't see it changing at this stage as my hope of all the top 5 teams making ground on chelsea has been eclipsed by this latest shopping spree. I'm in despair now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

TBH, MOTD aint worth watching unless there is the faint hope of an upset.The chelsea segments were the worst ones last season 'cause their matches were always the same. Chelsea control the game and cautous for the first 60 minutes and up the tempo and score. I can't see it changing at this stage as my hope of all the top 5 teams making ground on chelsea has been eclipsed by this latest shopping spree. I'm in despair now:(

Agreed.

I have no desire to watch Chelsea play. They play with a robotic efficiency that is not pretty to look at but god damn it works.

My worry would be that the league turns this way. Look at the relative success Bolton and Blackburn have had with a physical efficient style fo play much like Chelsea but without the flair some of the individuals provide at Stamford Bridge. Liverpool are also going the same route. Great defending but again the focus is on grinding out results.

Now like I said, it works and if it works more teams will try to copy it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SofaKing wrote:

Cech
    Carlos
    Makelele

Essien
    Lampard

Ballack

Shev
    Drogba
    I agree, that'll be the team, except it'll be Lampard on the tip of the diamond, not Ballack. Mourinho used that setup at Porto and was starting to use it again towards the end of last season. The signings he's making - 2 centre-mids, 2 strikers, looking for a left-wing back - suggest that the 4-4-2 diamond will be used next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

My thoughts on the summer signings.

Ballack:

Srengths: excellent in the air good passer very good box to box.
    Weaknessess- not the greatest tackler and not the quickest, a bit similar to Poyet, except he is technically better than Gus.

Shevchenko- I'm delighted about this signing some people aren't, he's a world class striker and there aren't alot around (available that is) lethal finisher but hope he won't be injury prone, carrying a knee injury at the moment

Mikel- havent seen enough of him but Jose says he's liquid gold.

Kalou-no comment cost 3.5mil havent seen the lad at all

Hope to christ Carols doesn't come, hope its a smokescreen for Cole.

The signings have been good with experienced players and youngsters but Gallas is going to be a huge loss, talk of Caneria but you can't replace William, he was my player of the season last year.

Its going to be a Scheva and Drogs up front, but what about Duffer SWP Robben? decisions decisions.
    If a bid comes in for Duffer I think they will accept, he carried a tendon injury last season but he's not the same player he was 2 years ago when he first joined.
    and don't give me this talk about Mourinho telling him to play a certain way, he was scared of his shadow in some games last season.

Also peeps watch out for Diarra could be pushing for that holding role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Some selection of players Chelsea have...fekkin hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

I agree, that'll be the team, except it'll be Lampard on the tip of the diamond, not Ballack. Mourinho used that setup at Porto and was starting to use it again towards the end of last season. The signings he's making - 2 centre-mids, 2 strikers, looking for a left-wing back - suggest that the 4-4-2 diamond will be used next season.
    what will happen to robben, duff, j cole and swp then? surely they cant leave out the four of these most weeks? maybe they should just leave them go on free transfers to make the league fairer?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Joe Cole will still get his game on a semi-regular basis. Robben will probably be kept as an 'option'. Wright-Phillips and Duff are fúcked if they can't get out, imo.

I think Cole is ok, cause he is in reality a central midfielder.

I think Robben will continue, as he can play as a forward and is a good 'option' as you say.

I think Duff and SWP are screwed tbh, going to be kept for matches where Mourinho wants some pace, but won't get many games at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i'm not actuallly despairing about chelsea to be honest. You only have to look back in recent times to see that sometimes spending all that cash doesn't guarantee the sucess.

Granted, chelsea dominated the past 2 seasons, but they've done well with injuries really. Imagine (and I don't wish this on any of them btw) that Terry pulls a cruciate in the WC, then maybe Lampard does a hip/achilles in October. Niggley injuries are picked up by all players, so maybe we could see Ballack/Sheva/Drogs out for a few weeks at a stretch.....stil leaves Chelsea with a great side on paper, but as players keep coming in, the ones that are presently there, will prob become unhappy and disillusioned at not playin e.g Duffer.

We've seen it in Spain with Valencia and Porto when "the great one" himself was there.
    All in all i hope it'll be a great season, but nothing would give me more pleasure than for Liverpoolor maybe even Arsenal to do one over Chelsea. Wonder what sort of inquest would begin then at STamford Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Humm about the injuries, I think this is whats screwed SWP, the season before Duff and Robben seem to injured all the time (at least to me on MoTD :D ) but last season they seem to be fitter a lot more of the time.

I have no idea how they will line up - it seems that there are about 10 too many first teamers in there :)

Cant wait to see what the young fella is like, to see if he lives up to PHB's hype. If he does he must be some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I think Gudjohnsen, Carlton Cole, Duff and Huth will definately go. Wayne Bridge might move on too.

Duff needs to go somewhere else where he can play as an out and out attacking winger again.

I'm interested to see how long Makelele will keep playing the DM position, he's no spring chicken now and surely Diarra will need a few games to start getting the hang of the premiership.

If Jose has any sense he will rotate Lampard/Ballack for the first 4-6 weeks as Lampard hasn't had a break from footy for 4 years.

J Cole can play wide or at the tip of the diamond (like Jose tried with him when he first arrived). Joe is a much more complete footballer now then he was then.

Sheva with Drogba/Crespo up front. Crespo and Sheva played very well together at milan in the 04/05 season.

It will be a very interesting year of football with the world class players that will be on display. :)

• Advertisement

Whats the story with Diarra? Are Chelsea after him?

Chelsea have another player called Lassana Diarra, a DMC who is meant to be Makelele's successor, he's also french :)

PHB wrote:
    Chelsea have another player called Lassana Diarra, a DMC who is meant to be Makelele's successor, he's also french :)

Oh thank god I thought they were after getting another one over on us! Havent heard of him. Any good?

He seems to have lots of potential.

SWP is happy he joined Chelsea

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=392377&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Shaun+has+no+Blues+regrets

Do you think it is the lack of football, The watching of the World Cup at home, Or the big pay packet which keeps him happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

PHB wrote:
    He seems to have lots of potential.

SWP is happy he joined Chelsea

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=392377&CPID=8&clid=8&lid=2&title=Shaun+has+no+Blues+regrets

Do you think it is the lack of football, The watching of the World Cup at home, Or the big pay packet which keeps him happy?
    Getting to watch Ian wright's amazing punditry must surely be what keeps him happy

• Advertisement

Oh thank god I thought they were after getting another one over on us! Havent heard of him. Any good?

Lassanna Diarra is the chaps name and they have had him for 2 years. Looks a class act and he is still only 20. Have watched him in reserve games and also in the Carlin and FA cup. Basically he is Claude Mak only a foot taller and a lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Gudjohnson has agreed to sign for Barca. They have agreed personal terms with now just the actual fee to be decided. This one has certainly surprised me. I rate Gudjohnson but i didnt think the two sides would deal with each other, maybe this will still prove difficult.

Advertisement