Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV for games

Options
  • 13-05-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Basically, I have an Xbox 360 and PlayStation2. I'll be buying a Wii and PlayStation3 when they are both out too but I'm looking to buy a TV this Summer.

I'd like to get the best quality I can and as big as I can for about €800 yoyos. I've seen a Philips 26 inch HDTV for about €799 in Currys but is HDTV the way to go?

Will it work best with the 3 consoles or would I be better off buying a larger 32 inch 100Hz TV for the same pirce as that HDTV?

I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

HDTV is definately the way to go with the next-gen consoles. Supposedly the difference in graphics is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you are going to be using a 360 and PS3 definaltey go for the HDTV.

Don't know what TV's to reccomend but you might get a better answer in the home entertainment section. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=113

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

HDTV is definately the way to go with the next-gen consoles. Supposedly the difference in graphics is significant.

Is the PlayStation3 HD compatible though? I heard someone saying that you may need an optional port on the TV for the PS3 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its just like the 360, but for Blu ray playback you will need a TV with the HD ready logo on it. This means it has a HDMI connector that can accept the HDCP copy protection blu-ray (and alot of futre HD sources) uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Triton wrote:
    Well lads,

Basically, I have an Xbox 360 and PlayStation2. I'll be buying a Wii and PlayStation3 when they are both out too but I'm looking to buy a TV this Summer.

I'd like to get the best quality I can and as big as I can for about €800 yoyos. I've seen a Philips 26 inch HDTV for about €799 in Currys but is HDTV the way to go?

Will it work best with the 3 consoles or would I be better off buying a larger 32 inch 100Hz TV for the same pirce as that HDTV?

I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice.

they have a 27' hdtv in dixons atm for €800, i think it's samsung, or panasonic? not sure, but sounds like a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Check out www.avforums.com for opinions on any TV before you buy it. I did a lot of research there, ended up getting a 26" samsuns for 820 (cost price :D) last summer, couldn't be happier with it.

It's all down to lots of research and opinions from people who own the TVs. avforums is a very good place for that. I think there was over 1,000 posts just in the thread about the tv I bought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, Xtravision have a 32" Hyundai LCD set going for only €999 and its HD ready with HDMI connector, not to shabby, no idea what the picture quality is like though, it seems to undercut the competition by a few bob anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm thinking of going for the Hyundai 32 inch in Xtravision for €999 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think there's a discussion on the Bargain Alerts forum about the xtravision TV. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054927541

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Already seen it. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement