Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Omega - head gasket

Options
  • 13-05-2006 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm considering buying an Opel Omega. Its been sold privately but the head gasket needs to be done. I was told by a mechanic that this would cost around €600 or €700 - a bit more expensive than usual because its a 16 valve engine. Including this the price is still good but I was also told there's the off chance the head might be cracked which can run up to €2000 to fix. Its just a possibility. Could anyone offer me any advice on this? How risky is it to take this on? I'd be happy if I knew the head gasket was all I had to worry about.

Also does anyone know what miles per gallon to expect from the 2.0litre ecotec engine.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine that, even if the head was cracked, you'd pick up and fit a good second hand one for a lot less than €2,000. Doing the head gasket involves removing the cylinder head anyway, so your only additional cost would be sourcing and machining a new head - I'd guess around €300, but this is only a guess. One other advantage of doing the head gasket is that you'll be getting new cambelts at the same time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fuel consumption depends on driving environment.

Low 20's arounf town, and up to high 30's on a gentle run.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seems unusual that the seller doesn't get it fixed for €700 and not have to sell it at a reduced price. unless he knows something you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I'd walk and leave it...plenty more cars out there... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I've just given my '95 Omega 2.5TD to my dad - absolutely loved that car. Nothing ever went wrong with it bar some bulbs in the dash going bad. Big strong car. Most comfortable car I have ever been in - absolute mile muncher. I have a Merc 230CE (1992) as a replacement - but its nowhere near as spritely as the Omega (but maybe because the Omega is a manual, and the Merc is an auto).

Don't underestimate the Omega - it's not a barge. The Vectra/Cavalier of the same era is more wobbly/top-heavy than the Omega.

Apparently the 2.0 engine is good - so long as the timing belt is changed every 40,000 miles (Vauxhall originally specified 80,000 miles but had to switch to 40,000 as it's VERY common for them to break after 40 something - seems one of the belt tensioners can sieze, which causes the belt to jump a few teeth - and valves meet pistons. I think it's the same with the 2.0 and 3.0 litre engines too - but with those you also have to watch out for the cam-cover breathers filling with gunk, which causes oil to sneak out of the cam-cover and onto wiring and such like.

Oh - and the bolts/studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head can snap, but you'd know what by a ticking noise from that area when the engine is running.

There's a great forum/list over on yahoogroups for the Omega. I had that car for 4 years - bought it with 112,000 miles, and it now has 145,000 on it. They regularly go on to 375,000 miles plus.

There are plenty out there (check Ebay) and they are really very cheap cars - so I'd keep looking, get one that's going fine. The diesels are rare, but I'd recommend them (BMW-made 2.5 straight-6 turbo diesel --> great motor). A CDX or Elite will get you all the toys. The diesel doesn't need any special maintenance (has a timing chain, not a belt) but does need oil changes every 4500 miles. 38 mpg average, up to 56mpg - that's what I was getting.

Here's one in the UK, a '96 with 114,000 miles on it (dodgy colour tho):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4639859836

• Advertisement
Advertisement