Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who makes the exam timetables?

Options
  • 13-05-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

WHO EVER IT IS THEY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP IN A MENTAL INSTITUTION!!!

i mean, in arts for example, why cant they devide bands more evenly? i have three exams next week - mon, tues, wed. and my mate who does politics and philosophy had exams 4 days i a row!!! these are difficult weighty subjects and cramming the exams into consecutive days like this is unfair. i had 2 exams on the one day in first year!

bastards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd say it's statistically impossible to have everyones exams evenly spaced in a constricted amount of time. I'm sure it could be improved with better communication though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

Itis generally the Exams Office that decides the timetables, but you would expect (hope!) that they consult the lecturers involved in each of the courses.

I agree that it must be very difficult to arrange all of the courses, subjects, venues, numbers, etc. but a bit of common sense has to come into it too. (My timetable is a joke this year aswell so you're not alone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

the exam man can.... and he does it with a smile.......

id say they care little if you have 2 exams a day or not. I had 2 myself there on wed and 5 in total this week. Just the way it is. I guess but they have to work it so your subjects dont clash with any other subjects your doing so the exams are not on at the same time. Now doing that for a couple of thousand students in two weeks is a masterpiece (even though its prolly all done on computers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I suppose with arts theres so many to timetable and so many combos that it would be hard to get them fairly. I'd one yesterday evening and one this morning and i'm wreaked.
    Next saturday i'm in for the whole day (and miss the heinieken cup final) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

.Next saturday i'm in for the whole day (and miss the heinieken cup final) :(
    ah thats a **** one alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I'm like you Ferdi. Well, with regards to exams. I'm in this Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, all afternoon exams. Had two on the same day last year aswell, that day being my 18th birthday. I agree it must be difficult but I still imagine the timetabling could be improved somewhat. I have a friend in Trinity who has at least two days between all of his papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It's just unlucky how they turn out...last year i had 2 exams on the same day and then my exams were fairly crammed together....this year (2nd) i have a nice spread out timetable, 12th, 17th, 20th, 22nd and then 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I had 2 on Wednesday, and will have 2 more next Thursday. I kinda prefer that to having them spread over 2 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i started on monday and have one every second day up until this wednesday when i have on that wednesday then thursday, saturday and monday!!
    i CANT wait to be able to sleep again, im just F*ucked all the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Five in Five days this week, two next week 4 in three days the week after.

Apparently if enough people complain about a specific exam time they will move it or at least try to.

One of our lecturers actually has to justify putting a second exam on the same day for us in the exams office - apparently the exams office aren't too keen on that...... just don't shoot the messenger - i also had two in one day last year - anatomy essay paper and mcq

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

my timeable is reasonably nice.

I have a day between each of the exams...and then at the end I have like 3 days between my 6th exam and my 2 last exams.

2nd Mech Eng have a horrible timetable. They were in last week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday! HATE THA'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Whoever put Commercial Law and Land Law on the Friday and Saturday is in danger if I ever find out who they are. I was originally meant to have MER on the Thursday too. Thank God they moved it to next Friday.

A guy I know told me when he was doing his finals in Arts, he was the only person doing Geography and Philosophy and had 2 exams a day from Mondy to Friday. I'd drop dead if I attempted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

it's done by computer, but the schools don't tell the exams office wat exams they have, remember trinity does not have s & m and that is a nightmare to timetable, by the same token I know people in UCD who have 2 days in between exams so you can't comare directly, there is an infinite number of permutations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

zap wrote:
    it's done by computer, but the schools don't tell the exams office wat exams they have, remember trinity does not have s & m and that is a nightmare to timetable, by the same token I know people in UCD who have 2 days in between exams so you can't comare directly, there is an infinite number of permutations.
    What do Trinity's sexual preferences have to do with things?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

There is some thought put into it.

But as already said there are so many permutations that it would be impossibly to please everyone.

The best thing they can do is come up with some sort of time table.

Then see who complains and try to move those exams.

There are a lot of factors though. Fitting numbers in to exam halls. Making sure the lecturer can spend some time in each centre in which they have an exam.

Making sure there is enough stuff, various log, stat, acturial tables etc.

The best thing to do if your timetable sucks is to try to contact your lecturer and class rep and attempt to get some of them moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My timetable is lovely
    *hugs Exam Office*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Mine's grand but I wish it was over instead of not yet started.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My timetable is peachy this time out, go both not doing maths, and doing half my CS exams at Christmas. However, in past years, it's been a lot worse. In my repeats 2 years ago (the first time I was in 2nd year), I had 10 exams in 11 days, including 2 on the very last day. That hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Mine is great:). I have 3 exams spread over 2 weeks with a minimum of 5 days between them. Could'nt get much better really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've exams on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week but seeing as they are all in the afternoon I'm not really bothered. I also have a nice break from Wednesday up to the following Monday plus I've not had to worry about weekend exams so I'm fairly pleased with everything.

Can't wait to be done with the whole thing though. Is there a better feeling in the world than that feeling you get when you walk out of the exam hall knowing that it's all over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

i had an exam monday, tuesday, thursday and then one this coming monday - lovely ickle timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Equity at 2.30 on the 26th
    Criminology at 9.30 the 27th

Each exam counts for 20% of my degree. Thats just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sangre wrote:
    Equity at 2.30 on the 26th
    Criminology at 9.30 the 27th

Each exam counts for 20% of my degree. Thats just great.

It would start at 2, not 2.30. Don't wanna get that wrong!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pythia wrote:
    It would start at 2, not 2.30. Don't wanna get that wrong!
    No, they start at 2:30. Wouldn't want to get that wrong.

It's annoying also when your timetable says an exam will be 3 hours and you then find out you have 2 hours for it when your starting the exam!

No, they start at 2:30. Wouldn't want to get that wrong.

my 1 afternoon exam says mines at 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Mine's not too bad. Had Tuesday, Thursday and Friday which wasn't great particularly as they were the worst of the lot.

The rest are ok though. Back in on Tuesday at 2, then Saturday at 2 and then last one on Monday at 9:30.

I'm just glad I'm not doing Politics or Greek and Roman. My mate in politics has an exam on the 26th of May and then has to wait until the 7th of June for the last one. I'm sure she's glad of the study time but as she said herself she'd rather have it over so she can get on with her summer.
    My mate in Greek and Roman isn't done until the 9th of June.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

p_larkin99 wrote:
    my 1 afternoon exam says mines at 2!
    Bejesus, I believe you're right. Good job you said it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I had four maths based exams in three days and five more exams just around that(yes more maths, design and maths physics based ones). Count yourself lucky OP. :/

• Advertisement

Bejesus, I believe you're right. Good job you said it!

:D wouldn't want you repeating any of those easy b n l modules and having to sit an exam with our lot!

Advertisement