Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new student centre

Options
  • 13-05-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

whats the deal on the new student centre thingy did they come to a conclusion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

as far as i know it passed. You will get a lovely new debating chamber and gym and pool however your fees will go up over a number of years to pay for it (15%,20%,25& afaik) so enjoy it when your a graduate cause you will get the use of it because you paid for it to be built but be sure to pay the graduate fee for using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

verry pissed off about it tbh. even though i don't want it i still have to pay for it........i hate democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Vote for me next year and I promise to do my best to undermine democracy within the union

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

So few people care enough to vote on any of the union referenda it's a bit of a farce to call it a democracy, but I like your style, you've got my vote:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Grimes wrote:
    as far as i know it passed. You will get a lovely new debating chamber and gym and pool however your fees will go up over a number of years to pay for it (15%,20%,25& afaik) so enjoy it when your a graduate cause you will get the use of it because you paid for it to be built but be sure to pay the graduate fee for using it.

Allegedly these services will be available! If you have a link to any concrete plans or anything I would be very interested to see them, all I have seen is that handout/brochure that gives very little if any detail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

As of yet that's the best they can do. I presume now they're in the process of getting that done, outting a tender out for architects and builders etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morgan Shelley

The result of the referendum was:

YES: 1,204
    NO: 793
    Spoilt: 80

The Union has 18,825 members, which means that the quorum was 1,883.

Since at least 2,038 members of the Union voted and a majority of those voted Yes, the Referendum passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

its amazing the amount of people who are apathetic to such votes in UCD but IMO the no campaign didn't do enough to rally people against the vote.

Sorry VG :( but I did start a row with a yes campaigner from the back of theater P about it before and archaeology lecture. Weird having the entire class turn around to see who the trouble maker was and obviously, as usual . Twas me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Vote for me next year and I promise to do my best to undermine democracy within the union

Can I be your campaign manager??

Seriously that vote shouldnt have been put in with the executive elections....The student centre repferendum was a serious topic that affects akl students and shouldnt have been lumped in with voting for a womens officer and Irish language officer!

If the coke refernedum was held seperatly...twice..then the student centre which is 100times more important then the coke referndum should have been given the attention it deserved. This vote should heave been held at the beginning of next year when both sides of the 'NO' and 'YES' campaign could have time to get material together so us students could make an informed decision.

And whats with the 18,000 students??There is a lot more then that studying in UCD.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Mr. Shelly it was widely reported in the college tribune that you and certain others massaged the membership records of the union to make this referendum be quorate.

who exactly was included in the quoroum for this?

did any post-referendum massaging take place?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Red Alert wrote:
    Mr. Shelly it was widely reported in the college tribune that you and certain others massaged the membership records of the union to make this referendum be quorate.

Please try to refrain from accusatory statements like that. I don't want this thread to turn into a flaming match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red Alert wrote:

Massaging??What is going on in the union these days:D
    massage.jpg

The quorum doesn’t affect the result of the referendum itself, it just dictates what effect that result will have.

The effect of reaching the quorum of 10% is just that the referendum result is a policy binding on the Union and its officers indefinitely. Had less than 10% of the membership voted it would just have been a plebiscite and Union Council would be free to authorise a campaign against the levy at some stage in the future.

The result is moved from: “a majority of members who expressed an opinion were in favour of the levy” to “it is now a binding policy that the Union is in favour of the Student Centre Levy”.

The implementation of the levy was dependent on the former, but that implementation is eased by the latter.

The S.U. Constitution only extends membership of the Union to certain categories of students:

1. Students registered for a degree or postgraduate diploma of the NUI
    2. Full-time elected officers of the Union
    3. Others recognised by the Independent Appeals Board

There are 21,140 students registered with UCD, but only 18,820 of them fit into those three categories. Add in the 5 sabbatical officers and the Union membership is 18,825.

Those who aren’t members are 1,414 certificate and undergraduate diploma students (including Architecture Continuing Professional Development students, for instance) and 906 occasional students (JYA, etc.). Interestingly, UCD students currently abroad on Erasmus, etc., are still members of the Union, and are entitled to vote if they happen to be in Dublin on the day of a referendum.

There's a copy of the Constitution at http://www.ucdsu.net/resources/UCDSUCON.DOC

While it's slightly out-of-date, the membership section (Article 3) is correct.

I wouldn't mind being on that table panda.

I wasn't accusing anybody of anything for the record. People had concerns about the matter and this was publicised in the tribune and I wanted to see what Morgan had to say about it. I'm quite happy with him as a returning officer and his ability to do his job.

If you were doing this again Morgan would you have had the referenda on a separate day? A lot of people were unaware of what the referendum actually meant (because they didn't read the ballot paper properly) - they thought a No vote was a vote against a new/improved student centre as opposed to a fee.

I'd like to see a referendum-commitee type thing which makes a double-sided sheet explaining what a no and yes vote actually means in plain english.

Would a move to internet voting or similar boost the numbers who actually go to the polls? It's a big thing when 10% decide on a fee increase for a referendum.

Or should we look at increasing the quorum to say 40% (same as a pass mark!). That would have the knock-on effect of forcing both sides to run credible campaigns, thereby more people voting and a more credible result.

In response to Red Alert, I don't think the Tribune said any such thing.

If anyone wants a copy of the data used to ascertain the quorum, or the decision of the IAB in setting the quorum, just drop me an email at returningoffice@gmail.com

All the electoral lists and the numbers for setting the quorum come directly from the University and I presume the numbers of students doing the various courses in UCD are in the public domain, so if you don’t believe my figures, you can always do the sums yourself.

The question on the ballot paper was “Are you in favour of the proposed levy to fund the Student Centre Extension?”

Some confusion may have arisen out of the campaign materials, which used the slogans “The new student centre - vote YES” and “Vote NO against the new student centre”, but that’s really a tactical question for the 2 sides, rather than a matter for me. The Union website was very clear that the policy question was about a levy, it’s at http://www.ucdsu.net/studentcentreref.html

The setting of dates for referenda is a difficult area. You have to have the referendum within three weeks on the one hand, but you have to give two weeks' notice on the other and the primary polling date has to be a lecture day as does the preceding day. It’s difficult enough to set dates within a week-long window at the best of times, but the Student Centre referendum “window” stretched over Good Friday and Easter Monday.

The Independent Appeals Board made a decision in this area recently, but I still haven’t received a copy of that, so I can’t really say what guidance they’ve provided for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Red Alert wrote:
    I wouldn't mind being on that table panda.

If there's any massaging being done, I'l be the one to do it. We can't have amateurs doing that now can we...

EDIT to dajaffa: thanks hun :p

Cheers for clearing that up Morgan. In fact I think it may have been a long running thread here and not the tribune as I previously mentioned where the quorum issue appeared. I'll check it out later although I don't have any archived tribune copies. I'm very sorry about that, I honestly thought I had seen it there.

Given how closely electoral campaigns are regulated in the college - such as handbills, manifestos, posters etc, does any similar rules exist for referendum campaigns? Or does the issue of campaigns boil down to individuals willing to take up the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Red Alert wrote:

The Tribune never did report that or make any insinuation to that effect....
    There are 21,140 students registered with UCD, but only 18,820 of them fit into those three categories. Add in the 5 sabbatical officers and the Union membership is 18,825.

Those who aren’t members are 1,414 certificate and undergraduate diploma students (including Architecture Continuing Professional Development students, for instance) and 906 occasional students (JYA, etc.). Interestingly, UCD students currently abroad on Erasmus, etc., are still members of the Union, and are entitled to vote if they happen to be in Dublin on the day of a referendum.

I'm no Pierce-Farrell like expert on the SU constitution but surely it would be logical if students (JYA etc or not) are allowed to cast a vote, then they be counted towards a quorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Morgan, you got an email about a month ago on the subject of polling stations in hospitals. Could you please reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

The significant thing about the quorum declaration was that foreign students on Erasmus here were discounted. This is despite the fact that they have voted and have been allowed to vote in every election and referendum we have ever had (and the Ents election this year that was decided by 5 votes).

This means that next year, Erasmus students won't be able to vote for their class rep or the International Students Officer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Why is that Vainglory?

when we're talking Erasmus do we mean foreign students over here or UCD'ians in foreign lands?

Why is that Vainglory?
    Why won't they be able to vote, or why were they struck off the membership lists?
    Red Alert wrote:
    when we're talking Erasmus do we mean foreign students over here or UCD'ians in foreign lands?
    Foreign students over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Vainglory wrote:

This means that next year, Erasmus students won't be able to vote for their class rep or the International Students Officer.
    Surely since they're not in the country for their class reps term, they shouldn't vote.
    I thought International Students officer was for foreigners coming to UCD not UCD students in foreign places?

EDIT: Sorry Vainglory answered already. Does that mean Eugenia Kasakova (thats a stab in the dark) would not have been able to run?

Well, presumably they won't be able to vote because they were struck off the membership lists. So why were they struck off the membership lists?

Euginya isn't an Erasmus student..She's here for her whole degree.

Basically, the Yes campaign in the Student Centre challenged the legitimacy of Erasmus students being allowed to vote in SU elections and referenda and thus be included in the quorum calculation. By the letter of the constitution, Erasmus students here for the year are not pursuing degree courses from the NUI and so were deemed not to be members of the Students' Union.

The material effects of this will be..

1. Erasmus students next year won't be able to run for Class Rep or vote for their Class Rep.
    2. Erasmus students won't be able to vote in any referenda.
    3. Erasmus students could technically be turned away by any officer of the Union because they're not "members".

They were allowed to before this decision, because no-one had ever challenged their membership of the Union before.

I found all this particularly interesting because Erasmus students have always voted in elections and referenda, even though they technically shouldn't have, and if their invalid votes could be retrospectively discounted then it would likely change a good few results (especially 5 vote difference Ents results).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Vainglory wrote:
    3. Erasmus students could technically be turned away by any officer of the Union because they're not "members"
    thats mad, how does this benifit the student body??

Surely it would be more appropriate to change the SU constitution so that they can have an input, and cannot be turned away by an officer then to start worrying about how you can retrospectively discount their votes.

ferdi wrote:
    thats mad, how does this benifit the student body??
    It doesn't, but it benefitted the Yes campaign for the student centre because discounting the Erasmus students (and some Cert and Diploma students who also aren't technically members) meant that the referendum was quorate, and that's why we're getting a new student centre now..
    Surely it would be more appropriate to change the SU constitution so that they can have an input, and cannot be turned away by an officer then to start worrying about how you can retrospectively discount their votes.
    Oh yeah, believe me I didn't want to discount their votes or their numbers. I was helping the No campaign out. But you have to change the constitution by referendum.

• Advertisement

I know you do, that's what I'm suggesting should take place. It seems very unfair that they aren't allowed to receive the same level of benefits from the union as other students, especially seeings as they're from a different country.

I know that in practical terms, the SU does help them out, but the constitution should reflect that.

The argument that they won't be in the college when their vote will effect it (i.e. the following year) falls down through logic. If you were to look at it that way, then none of the final year students/Irish Erasmus students etc. should be allowed to vote either.

Advertisement