Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new student centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Seems like a great move, now loads of people will have to pay a fortune for a facility they wont get the chance to use and don't need anyway and into the bargin Erasmus students can't vote or become class reps, etc, or technically I assume use the student bar, SU shops, or copy print services, from what was said about leaving the SU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

I know you do, that's what I'm suggesting should take place. It seems very unfair that they aren't allowed to receive the same level of benefits from the union as other students, especially seeings as they're from a different country.

I know that in practical terms, the SU does help them out, but the constitution should reflect that.

The argument that they won't be in the college when their vote will effect it (i.e. the following year) falls down through logic. If you were to look at it that way, then none of the final year students/Irish Erasmus students etc. should be allowed to vote either.

Yeah, agreed. There will be a constitutional referendum sometime in the next academic year and I'm going to make sure it includes proposals to make Erasmus students members of the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Vainglory wrote:
    Yeah, agreed. There will be a constitutional referendum sometime in the next academic year and I'm going to make sure it includes proposals to make Erasmus students members of the Union.
    Do they pay for the student centre when they join?

Do they pay for the student centre when they join?

They only pay the fees connected to their home university, but would you begrudge them a year's use of our facilities while they're here?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Jane, what's the possibility of shooting down the new fee/student centre at next year's council?

(Are you no to the fee only or to the fee+centre project?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Red Alert wrote:
    Jane, what's the possibility of shooting down the new fee/student centre at next year's council?
    Not that I'm one to jump in but a referendum can only be overturned by another referendum.

I'll let Jane answer for herself for the other question, RA.

Not that I'm one to jump in but a referendum can only be overturned by another referendum.

I'll let Jane answer for herself for the other question, RA.

Yeah, Gav is right..a referendum can only be overturned by another referendum. Council would have no power to reverse the result.

You could probably collect the signatures for another referendum early next term but Morgan Shelley would be the best person to ask about it.

Hmm..I'm against the fee because it doesn't take into account the ability of students to pay it. Like...students on grants don't have to pay the Reg fee, but they still have to pay the Student Centre levy no matter what their financial situation is. So this would be added to with the new fee and cause perhaps more people financial difficulty.

As for the centre itself? To be honest I don't see the need for things like a "House of Lords style debating chamber". I think it was rushed through and pretty much got passed by default. I don't think we should have to pay for something we'll never see (and the stuff about a graduate discount is a white elephant; it's obvious that there would be a graduate discount, this isn't any sort of concession to us. There is a graduate discount for the library and we didn't help pay to build that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I was under the impression that graduates who had paid for it would get some special discount. Yes? No? Maybe so?

Oh, and does anybody know if the debating chamber would be used for council. I think that'd be cool

dajaffa wrote:
    I was under the impression that graduates who had paid for it would get some special discount. Yes? No? Maybe so?

Oh, and does anybody know if the debating chamber would be used for council. I think that'd be cool

Yes, we will, but that would have happened whether we agreed to pay for it or not. Like the library (graduates can use it for cheaper, and we didn't have to pay for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

dajaffa wrote:
    That would be up to the Secretary of the day, if they were to book it or not. If it was me I'd be all for it. tbh I'd have booked more Astra Hall Councils this year if the idea had hit me any earlier than the busy end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

tbh I'd have booked more Astra Hall Councils this year if the idea had hit me any earlier than the busy end of the year.

Yeah, those comfy Astra Hall chairs would have beed great for councils that went on, and on (and on, and...). Might have helped everyone stay a little more chilled out.
    Grimes wrote:
    IMO the no campaign didn't do enough to rally people against the vote..

In fairness they (well, we, I helped a teeny bit) did their best considering extreme time constraints and the fact that a lot of us were massivly election fatigued at that stage, and had exams looming large by that stage.

Advertisement