Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Im a non-national...my chosen car is..

Options
  • 13-05-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

The winner (by a mile) is a 1993-1995 Nissan Sunny!!

Why ?! Whats the attraction lads?!?!

On a drive home from town last night I passed no less than 4 lads driving the above....dont understand why they seem to be on every corner?

Other favourites are Piece of shoite 1993 Mondeos/Mazda 626's and Corollas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They're buying them specifically to annoy Stormfront monkeys who like to claim that the government has been buying them all 06 BMWs.

So they're driving a family size car that they can afford, and probably suits their needs. What do you drive, and why is your choice better than theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

They're buying them specifically to annoy Stormfront monkeys who like to claim that the government has been buying them all 06 BMWs.

So they're driving a family size car that they can afford, and probably suits their needs. What do you drive, and why is your choice better than theirs?

WTF?? I didnt say my choice was any better. Im just asking why this car over any other is the definitive choice of the average NN punter.

If I said I drove a 911 you would prob come along and say you drove a McClaren F1...SFW. Didnt ask the question to kick off a bragging / slagging session.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would imagine that they are looking to soend a few hundred on a car that will not break down. a bit of a no-brainer really, Toyota, Mazda, NIssan, Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I saw one guy brought over a Polski Fiat!

Most seem to go for something cheap and reliable, and more power to them. I myself regularly drive a "piece of shoite" 1995 Mondeo, and quite proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sizzler wrote:
    The winner (by a mile) is a 1993-1995 Nissan Sunny!!

Why ?! Whats the attraction lads?!?!

On a drive home from town last night I passed no less than 4 lads driving the above....dont understand why they seem to be on every corner?

Other favourites are Piece of shoite 1993 Mondeos/Mazda 626's and Corollas.

What exactly do you mean by "non-nationals"?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    What exactly do you mean by "non-nationals"?

It is actually a term of art used to define a person who is neither a citizen of the UK, NI or ROI. At one time it also excluded members of the commonwealth, but they too are now regarded as non-nationals. See Aliens Act 1935, as ameneded by the Immigration Acts 1999 and 2004

maidhc wrote:
    It is actually a term of art used to define a person who is neither a citizen of the UK, NI or ROI. At one time it also excluded members of the commonwealth, but they too are now regarded as non-nationals. See Aliens Act 1935, as ameneded by the Immigration Acts 1999 and 2004

And how does the OP determine citizenship by visual inspection? This too is an art, it seems to me.

maidhc wrote:

Well said.

Anan1 wrote:
    And how does the OP determine citizenship by visual inspection? This too is an art, it seems to me.

LOL. I did Arts in UCD...what can I say.

maidhc wrote:
    I saw one guy brought over a Polski Fiat!

Most seem to go for something cheap and reliable, and more power to them. I myself regularly drive a "piece of shoite" 1995 Mondeo, and quite proud of it.

Ehhh....I bet you look after your Mondeo though ;)

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    LOL. I did Arts in UCD...what can I say.

Seriously though, how do you recognize "non-nationals" by looking at them?

Anan1 wrote:

A coloured Irish citizen from *west belfast* got detained by immigration officials in the republic for not having an immigrants ID card a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Anan1 wrote:
    Seriously though, how do you recognize "non-nationals" by looking at them?
    Pale, skinny, short hair, round face, receding hairline.... oh and that big PL sticker at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This evening a wonderful Eastern European man bought my 2.9 V6 Espace and will enjoy air conditioned leather armchair comfort for as long as he can afford to put petrol in it. Most of the foreign cars in Galway are higher spec and in better nick than what was here already so I don't get the OP's point. Around here the only people driving Sunnys, 626's and '93 Mondeos are pikeys in sleeveless t-shirts. Maybe its a Dublin thing?

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope he had the Motor Tax rates handy!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I hope he had the Motor Tax rates handy!

Mike.
    I rarely taxed it - I guess he'll probably do the same. I had to put so much petrol in it that Esso sent me a christmas card every year and named a supertanker after me, so I paid enough tax thanks very much.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i thought non nationals only drove E30 BMW's and clapped out old audi v8's? mild bodywork damage optional.

Saw one of these guys in a lidl carpark in his lhd bmw with a bottle of white lightning and his fúckin radio up full blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

weemcd wrote:
    i thought non nationals only drove E30 BMW's and clapped out old audi v8's? mild bodywork damage optional.

Saw one of these guys in a lidl carpark in his lhd bmw with a bottle of white lightning and his fúckin radio up full blast.
    I think the OP is referring to non nationals (presume they're black) that you see driving round in old cars like he has mentioned above that are registered in Ireland and not all the Latvian and Polish cars you see around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I rarely taxed it - I guess he'll probably do the same. I had to put so much petrol in it that Esso sent me a christmas card every year and named a supertanker after me, so I paid enough tax thanks very much.

'cptr

Why did you buya 2.9 then? The government may have set the prices of tax but they didnt mae you buy a car in one of the highest brakets.

Not being able to afford to obey the law, thats a new one on me.

Does this thread have any great point to it?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Not being able to afford to obey the law, thats a new one on me.

I have several cars, I can't drive them all at the same time so I don't tax them all at the same time. How dare you judge me - go suck a fart.

@mike65, no this thread is a pointless waste of internet resources, the internet as everyone knows is populated by lonely frustrated man-children who like to share their 'opinions' with any other man-child who will read them. I however am in the attic hiding from my wife who wants me to go down the fields in the rain looking for lost chickens, so I can actually claim to be doing something constructive.

'cptr

Fair enough you're excused! :D But it'll be dry later.

Mike.

Tony Danza wrote:
    I think the OP is referring to non nationals (presume they're black) that you see driving round in old cars like he has mentioned above that are registered in Ireland and not all the Latvian and Polish cars you see around the place.

Tony...at last a man who got my point.

Goes without saying the Polish / Latvian reg cars are probably better than most cars that any average Irish punter can afford !! Aha but they dont have to tax or insure them so maybe thats how they can afford them ;)

I have several cars, I can't drive them all at the same time so I don't tax them all at the same time. How dare you judge me - go suck a fart.

@mike65, no this thread is a pointless waste of internet resources, the internet as everyone knows is populated by lonely frustrated man-children who like to share their 'opinions' with any other man-child who will read them. I however am in the attic hiding from my wife who wants me to go down the fields in the rain looking for lost chickens, so I can actually claim to be doing something constructive.

'cptr

LOL....hiding from the wife...classic ! As for a waste of time...dont add fuel to the fire by replying to the thread then chief ;)

mike65 wrote:
    Does this thread have any great point to it?

Mike.

The direction of the thread has gone slightly off course Mike...I just wanted to throw out the question was the nissan sunny now the premier choice of NN's..had anybody else noticed...nothing more sinister than that !

Harmless inane car banter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have several cars, I can't drive them all at the same time so I don't tax them all at the same time. How dare you judge me - go suck a fart

It hardly matters, a car has to be taxed if it's being driven on the roads. I know all about high tax, I drive a 2.5 but I allowed for that. Don't start getting defensive , I'm not the one doing wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

is it just me or can anyone else almost tell just by their driving even before you see who is sat in the drivers seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

How do you spot non-nationals. They don't look Irish! If you are in the middle of europe or the US, you'll spot an Irish person. Obviously not everyone falls into the stereotype but a lot do. Even the style of dress etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mariners

Stekelly wrote:
    It hardly matters, a car has to be taxed if it's being driven on the roads. I know all about high tax, I drive a 2.5 but I allowed for that. Don't start getting defensive , I'm not the one doing wrong.
    Pfftt! You actually drive a taxed car? Do-gooder :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement