Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i got screwed by bandwidth over usage

Options
  • 13-05-2006 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

i received a charge of 192.78 sterling on my 1and1 hosting package which gives me 50GB of monthly traffic for going over my bandwidth!

Here are the figures:

christ3cb.png

I checked out my hits and i'm still only getting 500 unique hits a day with the average user clicking thru 8 pages on the site. We have around 3gb of mp3's but none have been added too recently. The main sites content has been fairly static for the past 2 and a half months as i'm studying for college.

Does anyone else think this is a bit odd? I'm a bit pissed off that i wasn't informed of this by the hosting company. I only became aware of it when i looked at my CC bill. I have setup a max quota now and i have deleted all the old files. Is there anything else i should do to keep my bandwidth down?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The MP3s aren't doing the rounds on a forum or anything, are they? That can kill you pretty quickly.

Anyway, surely you have a stats package installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The last mp3 link that was posted in the forum was from about 2 months ago.

I have a stats package alright within the admin panel. Nothing seems to be too unusual tbh.

500 unique visitors per day
    average 8 page clickthru

I would say that 85% of the activity occurs within the forum.

I have a good feeling that one mix in particular stung me. I put up a mix in Jan and for that month alone i got hit by 200GB of bandwith and another 120GB for Feb. Fecking Shane Johnson live @ Ten. I posted up a link for his mix on the Peoples Republic of Cork and the thread got over 2000 page views!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You should start using uploading sites that will host a download for you instead of having it directly off your own site like http://beta.yousendit.com/ (though you will have to break up the files to 100mb files)
    Also, make sure you have hotlink protection, so that no one can steal your mp3 links and post them on their site, thus stealing your bandwidth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

btw: Jay_Ru-How_We_Chill_From_93_Til.mp3 is a great track!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

its a good mix alright. Should have a new one in the coming weeks, i'll give you a heads up when we have it on the site.

hotlinking will be disabled but i can't really use third party storage.
    I will be developing a new site for it after my exams whereby you can only download/stream/click on two mixes (80mb each) per IP per day and to listen to anymore you most login. A download manager will be put in place so we can monitor which files are getting hits and also we will probably cap each mix. So for example jay_ru-how_we_chill.mp3 can only be downloaded 15 times in the one day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement