Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Test

Options
  • 13-05-2006 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Test was up in Feb but no sign in the post rang them up they said there is a big back log, so I went online and booked a date in April failed first time then today went for retest and car passed , so I got the disk which stated car nct'ed from feb 06- feb 08 which is incorrect as car only passed in May due to them having a back log do I have case for car to have disk from May 06- May 08.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

NCT runs from the anniversary of registration to the next anniversary of registration two years later. If you test early, you get more than two years between tests, if you test late (as you did) you get less than two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

oulu wrote:
    Test was up in Feb but no sign in the post rang them up they said there is a big back log, so I went online and booked a date in April failed first time then today went for retest and car passed , so I got the disk which stated car nct'ed from feb 06- feb 08 which is incorrect as car only passed in May due to them having a back log do I have case for car to have disk from May 06- May 08.
    I got stung like this too..

Bought my 98 Mirage last October and put it through the NCT, but because it was registered in 98, I had to put it through again 2 weeks ago - even though it's only been in the country 7 months :(

It's a total money-making scam really. It should apply from the date of testing, but this way they get another 50 quid (plus retest in some cases) off you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

[QUOTE=Dilbert75anniversary of registration[/QUOTE]
    NCT uses this date - nothing else is entertained - at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does anyone know, if I import a car first reg in uk in April, and I import in May (hypothetical of course) does the nct not have to be done till April -07 as its not due till the anniversary ?

Is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    It's a total money-making scam really. It should apply from the date of testing, but this way they get another 50 quid (plus retest in some cases) off you :mad:
    If that was the case you could leave the test lapse for 1yr or more and expect to get another 2yrs out of the test when you eventually do get it done.

I think the system is fair...

By the way, mine is due at 12 today...was originally due in March but haven't had the time to book it in or due to backlogs....

• Advertisement

Passed..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lex Luthor wrote:
    If that was the case you could leave the test lapse for 1yr or more and expect to get another 2yrs out of the test when you eventually do get it done.
    Not really as you are legally required to have it done, and on time (even if it's not something the gardai bother with at the moment). Interestingly, I did query it with a guard back in October and he said "I'd probably have just left it till it was due in April myself" :rolleyes:

But of course that's what's wrong with so much in this country. No investment in the areas that need it, standardisation or enforcement, but instead there's plenty of loopholes, conflicting information, lack of training and education (especially and worryingly among those charged with enforcing the rules). Is it any wonder there's so much carnage on the roads really - if anything we should probably be greatful that things aren't worse!!
    Passed..... :D
    congrats anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lex Luthor wrote:
    By the way, mine is due at 12 today...was originally due in March but haven't had the time to book it in or due to backlogs....

There are no backlogs. NCTS are not obliged to write to you to tell you when you should bring in your car for the test. It's your responsibility to get it tested on time. You can simply go online and book a test anytime without their intervention.

Backlogs my arse.

Bond-007 wrote:
    There are no backlogs. NCTS are not obliged to write to you to tell you when you should bring in your car for the test. It's your responsibility to get it tested on time. You can simply go online and book a test anytime without their intervention.

Backlogs my arse.
    I got a letter back in Feb I think to remind me to book it in for March...I just didn't have the time to book it in all that time.

I didn't think they did the testing on Sundays until I went online 2-3 weeks ago to book it. There was at least a 3 week wait for one...a few in mid week in the afternoon which didn't suit and the one on Sunday. Nothing else available for at least another week.

Ok, so maybe not backlogs, but definitely busy. I'm also guessing that the first 6 months of this year are extremely busy cos its 6yrs on from 2000 when the country probably sold more new cars that year than any other for a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RobAMerc wrote:
    Does anyone know, if I import a car first reg in uk in April, and I import in May (hypothetical of course) does the nct not have to be done till April -07 as its not due till the anniversary ?
    Its the 4th, 6th, 8th anniversary of the date of first registration. So if the car was first registered in the UK in April 2006, then as I understand it, it need to be first tested in April 2010.

• Advertisement
Advertisement