Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Redknapp

• 13-05-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Why do i feel the urge to kick the tv when he is on? He is the most clueless analyst i have ever seen. He pretends to know what he is talking about, has trouble actually speaking. (whats DOIUHJHKJHIUGMBGJ, thats not a word).

Constantly interupts anyone else in the room, never lets anyone have a point or even finish making one. I know Rio was about to say something interesting today about his Bro (liked the way he refered to Hammers as US) but got cut off everytime. He gave up a few times and just nodded.

People at Sky must watch it and also want to punch him, why is he still on tv?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Totally 100% agree with you

He also talks all the time when they are coming back from a link, i can't believe Richard Keys hasn't told him to shut up yet...

It may be undertandable to do 1 or 2 games, that are relevant to him, maybe Liverpool games and Spurs games, but he's there for every single game and for what reason??

I'd say Sky have given him a contract and he will feature again every week next year!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

But he's pretty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

But doesn't he look like he's read the idiots guide to football punditry? He has a sleeve full of puns and sexy analogies and bless him, he tries his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say, why the fcuk do we need pundits to tell us what to think about the game. Sorry but this is my opinion but I hate all commentators and pundits. If I want analysis on a bleeding game I will talk about it with my mates. Commentary wise its painful nowadays to listen to them also, I have started listening to fanzone on sky sports purely for the fun banter between fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The really painful thing is, hes still one of the better commentators out there. Ian wright, nial quinn, peter schmicheal, grame le saux(thank christ he ran home crying) eamon dunphy, trevor francis, george graham(thankfully this lads are kept for Prem plus only).

The standard is shocking.

P.S would of loved to of seen rio face when his brother missed that peno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they had Redknapp, Niall Quinn and Rio Ferdinand there today. wtf :eek:

Redknapp: reasons pointed out above
    Quinn: talks the same amount of ****e
    Ferdinand: there probably because his brother was playing (fair enough)

but to have both Jamie Redknapp and Niall Quinn as pundits. give me a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah Ian Wright is probably worse but he's hardly ever on and I'm still not sure if you're supposed to take anything he says seriously. He's a bit like a novelty pundit. Schmeichel (sp?) is pretty poor. I quite like Dunphy when he's not sh*teing on about how great Roy Keane is... but even then that can be quite entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

And on a similiar topic...how annoying is John Motson. He commentates like everything that's happening is shocking him.

"The referee has given a throw to west ham?!!!!!!!! WTF?!!!"

Tbh I cant name one good impartial capable commentator.

The only one in my opinion that comes close to being a good commentator on football, is Dave Farrar on Eurosport Italian football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

fade2black wrote:
    And on a similiar topic...how annoying is John Motson. He commentates like everything that's happening is shocking him.

"The referee has given a throw to west ham?!!!!!!!! WTF?!!!"
    Totaly agree and how many times did he remeber something similar happen in the Matthews cup final or some league cup game back in 56....dear God Motson give it a rest....

"The great tradition of the FA cup is finally reestablished"...give me a break.

Redknapp/Quinn/Wright/Schmeichel/Le Saux/in fact entire ITV/BBC team are terrible

The only people I have time for are Giles/Dunphy (purely for the chance that he might explode at any time) and Lawrenson (he has some good points and I think he reasilses how inept his fellow pundits are at times)

• Advertisement

Sprinkles you forgot David Pleat:(

Willstev wrote:
    Sprinkles you forgot David Pleat:(
    Damn...you had to go and remind me of him.....my therapist said I was doing well to repress the memories.....:)

Willstev wrote:
    Tbh I cant name one good impartial capable commentator.

Im sorry but i feel that Andy Gray is a fantastic commentator (ok not a main commentator). he really knows what he is talking about in terms of technique...he talks like he knows about how the game is played and sees things possible passes/runs made) that no other commentator can.

Matrin Tyler knows his stuff too, only problem with him is he is slighty biased towards arsenal but he keeps it under control.

Football would be nowhere near as good on sky without the gray/tyler combination...proven by the fact that not many people like the commentary on PremPlus, RTE, BBC (Motson=awful)!

Sky has very bad pundits at the moment and a concern is that they may end up signing Shearer (if he doesnt manage/sign with BBC - may have done this already).

I think shearer may have signed with BBC, he was on board today and I have to say he was the best in the studio....that's how bad it is..

I think the best thing they can do is to have current pro's being the pundits...players who are injured/suspended (ok they dont need the cash for it) will have a better insight into how the teams are likely to play and what's likely to happen at half time.

P_Larkin 99 everyone to their own liking I say. Although I cant abide by Andy Gray bloody wreck my head.

Willstev wrote:
    P_Larkin 99 everyone to their own liking I say. Although I cant abide by Andy Gray bloody wreck my head.

ah yeah, everyone entitled to their own views.... i think everyone agrees redknapp is a god awful pundit tho!? :)

****ing Andy Gray. how many time a game does he say son :mad: :mad:

Mossy Monk wrote:
    ****ing Andy Gray. how many time a game does he say son :mad: :mad:

he he, good point mate but he does know his stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I think the reality of this pundit stuff is that they are and it is taken to seriously. I could be a pundit by sitting in a bar and talking about football all day.

Ristead Cooper said he thought the reason Apres Match was so successful was because of how serious some of those pundits tought they were and that people were fed up of them and it was time to have a laugh at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Oh yes i totally agree, last week really pissed me off with him and harry jesus keep your family affairs at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i generally think hansen is alright, don't have sky, but the rest i see are pretty much idiots

dunphy was entertaining when i saw him

the worst of them all i think is ITV. why bother having andy towsend and ally mccoist down pitch side with that woman presenter up in a studio on her own. looks thick

TV3 have THE worst commentator, even worse than John Motson. Trevor Welsh is the worst commentator ever. it is comical really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mossy Monk wrote:
    the worst of them all i think is ITV. why bother having andy towsend and ally mccoist down pitch side with that woman presenter up in a studio on her own. looks thick

I didnt believe a mate when he said that they did that , havent had UTV for years so only saw a game this year on ITV2, WTF are they doing on the pitch!!!!!

kdjac

But Gabby Logan is fine though in fairness!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

p_larkin99 wrote:
    But Gabby Logan is fine though in fairness!
    Yes, nice bit of eye-candy in an otherwise male-dominated area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

dont mind redknapp that much, only thing tho is when him and niall quinn are in the same room they say things like... the midfielder hit the ball "ever so" well... both of them always say it, its like a competition to see how many times they can get it in...

byte wrote:
    Yes, nice bit of eye-candy in an otherwise male-dominated area.

she just brings a different angle to half time, you can think about the game and have a good look at her.....and to stay on topic....having mccoist and townsend on the pitch looks so amateur. after the villareal game all these players were celebratin and henry had to stand and talk to them 2 muppets!

byte

Yeah, ITV's coverage is woeful at best, same as TV3 (or should that be ITV Ireland?)

For those with Sky, it was possible on BBC1 to change the audio commentary via Interactive.

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    For those with Sky, it was possible on BBC1 to change the audio commentary via Interactive.

aye it was, but if you had sky you're probably best of watchin sky sports, as they have commentators (motson and lawrenson are very poor).

byte

p_larkin99 wrote:
    aye it was, but if you had sky you're probably best of watchin sky sports, as they have commentators (motson and lawrenson are very poor).
    Unless like me you don't have Sky Sports 2!

I have Sky Sports 1 and 3 which incidentally I must cancel for the summer now that the Premiership is over for a while.

byte wrote:
    I have Sky Sports 1 and 3 which incidentally I must cancel for the summer now that the Premiership is over for a while.

not interested in rugby league or cricket then :rolleyes:

they may rope in jamie redknapp to be a pundit on them to make it better! :)

byte

p_larkin99 wrote:
    not interested in rugby league or cricket then :rolleyes:

they may rope in jamie redknapp to be a pundit on them to make it better! :)
    Heh, no, not a rugby league or a cricket fan.

I might like cricket, if I understood the sport, but that's for another forum! :)

Sky have 'Willow' and 'Stumpy' to explain what all the cricket jargon means :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i dunno, i always quite liked Hanson and Lawrenson...they're the best england has to offer so far for sure...Andy Gray wrecks my tits totally though...most annoying voice on tv!

What about best presenters ? Packie ? Gary ? LOL! or has there been a decent one since The Sexiest voice on the planet, Des Lynam ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how has pat dolan not been mentioned the guy just gets on my nerves.

also it's looked to me as if redknapp is been groomed to be the next richard keyes, as he always tries to dictate whats happening and being talked about and sometimes even directs questions. he keeps doing this, so presumably he isnt being told to stop.

i like lawrenson and hansen, dont like linker but he is better than bill o'herlihy.

andy gray drives me crazy cuase he is stuck up the collective arses of united, chelsea, rooney and lampard. everything rooney does is absolutely amazing as with lampard. also his "go on son, hit it" is very annoying.

schemical wasnt too bad and gave some good insight into the game but was always talked over by whoever was there and didnt have the guts to speak up.

finally why cant commentators ever call something clear cut; everytime when the linesman calls offside and the player was CLEARLY onside, a la crouch yesterday, its always "oh that looked tight" and never "that was definitely onside". same with dives they always say something like there was minimal contact rather than he definitely dived. can the be sued or something?

and finally why are the british commentators so up rooney and lampards a$$es? now dont get me wrong rooney is the second best forward in the prem, saying this as a liverpool supporter, and lampard is up there for midfielders, but still overrated. but macari once gave rooney a motm and one of his reasons was he didnt get booked, and lampard is always picked up for the work he does in midfield, but the ground he covers is nothing compared to the best midfielders ever in the prem like keane, gerrard, viera, scholes etc. there are more examples but i dont want to bore people but just watch the the next chelsea and united game and see how much unneccessary praise they heap on those two players.

sigh, rant over!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Who's the commentator on Eurosport ? He's the best.
    I watched Sky yesterday cos Motson is too :eek: for my liking

As for female presenters...Kelly Dalglish, Georgie Thompson on Sky & Gabby Logan.;)

Advertisement