Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery yellow tube

Options
  • 13-05-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Does anyone know for what use the yellow tube in a puncture repair kit is? No one I spoke to seems to know, and its bugging me.

rema.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Isn't it a chalk like substance to mark the tyre where the puncture is?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

No, it doesn't leave a mark. Its made of rubber. Have a look at the weldite puncture repair kit; it has a chalk, rubber tube (in the middle) and a crayon:

7949.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

It's for repairing a Woods valve. They used to be on most bikes in the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

Oh, cool. Had no idea that valve existed. Thanks.

From Sheldon Brown:

"There is a third type of valve, very rarely seen in the U.S., which has a bottom similar to a Schrader and necks down to about the size of a Presta. This is a Woods valve, also known as a "Dunlop" valve. Woods valves were formerly popular in the British Isles and Asia. You can pump them up with a Presta pump.

valvewoo.gif

Older versions work with rubber tubing and spit. If they don't hold air, you can unscrew the knurled ring that holds the valve core (the "Presta-sized" part) in place. You should see a short length of rubber tubing covering the inner part of the core. If the rubber tubing it old and perished, the valve won't work. Some patch kits include short lengths of replacement rubber tubing for this purpose. When installing new tubing, lubricate the valve core with spit before slipping the tubing in place.

Newer versions use a modern spring-loaded valve mechanism."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ah I see. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

I smell a flickr group coming on... the cult of puncture repair kit images

Advertisement