Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my cdsl connection keeps disconnecting help please...

• 13-05-2006 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

im on the utv 2mb package..and ive had ping problems for the past few months..which i didnt mind much about it was jus annoyin while playin online games..but today while surfing my connection jus keeps disconnectin (the dsl light on the router jus keeps flashin for about 30 seconds or so) and then reconnects ..this happens about every 5 mins..i remember this mornin in order to try and fix my ping i changed micro filters around but wen the disconnects started happenin an hour later i changed them basck around to there original places..but i still get the disconnects...does anybody have an idea of what is goin on..?? any help please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Disconnect everything from the phoneline, including all filters, to rule out anything in the house.
    Plug the modem directly into the Eircom master socket (without filter) and see it it still looses sync.
    If the above doesn't help, hard reset the modem using the little button on the back (hold it in for about 5-6 seconds). Make sure you have your UTV username/password before resetting the modem as you will have to re-enter them again after.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If this has been going on for a couple of months now it could be that your line is not up to the speed increases - can you check your line stats and post them?

Interesting link here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

If you have the UTV Creative router you can check your line stats.....

Log in to the router interface (http://192.168.1.1) and select the 'To Admin Mode' link on the bottom left. Under Status click on 'ADSL Status'. This will show your SNR and Line Attenuation stats.....Line Attenuation is based on distance from exchange (I think) and it needs to be below about 30 for a 2Mb line (not sure about that figure, you'll need to confirm from the link given in earlier post). SNR should be above 10 to allow broadband to work, I would guess that it's noise (SNR) that is causing the disconnects, you can try unpluging phone lines and check if that improves your SNR, like you said you were doing, the router refreshed the data every few seconds. I noticed that when I unplug the wireless phone the SNR improves a lot.

Advertisement