Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Place to sell my GT?

Options
  • 13-05-2006 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Well I have really known all along that I really did not 'need' the Alfa GT and so I have reluctantly made the decision to sell it.
    I know its a lovely car an all and it was a fight between it and my Golf Gti as to which should 'get fired'. The Golf just edged the GT out in terms of driving satisfaction and would easily double as a my 'regular' car anyway. :)

Of course the small matter of €35,000 being tied up in the GT also influenced my decision. I know i am going to miss it but its high time my fleet of motors reflected needs rather than wants.

So my question is what's the best way to go about selling it.?

Its a 2005 GT 1.9JTD (150bph) with currently 7,400 miles on the clock - just barely ran in really. Being the perfectionist that I am its already been serviced twice. An oil and filter service by me at 3,500 miles and a main service by motorzone Alfa dealers in Limerick at 6,500 miles - even though its first main service is not due until 12,000 miles.

It is still under factory warranty until January 2007 and so is a good buy. Absolutely no dents or scratches and as it left the factory. Interior is perfect too. Its the sportivo model which comes with all over leather, 10 disc CD changer ( also cd slot in dash ) and has the optional 17' teledial alloys which are totally unmarked. The tyres are good given the low mileage.
    I know its not a good time to sell it as its so new but I just feel I have too many cars and not enough time to use them all. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Carzone.ie is by far the biggest used car site in Ireland and generates massive traffic, but Alfa's loose a lot of value fast and you'd want to be competitivly priced compared to dealers, and have good photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

but I just feel I have too many cars and not enough time to use them all. :rolleyes:

thats a good complaint:D They're lovely cars. No idea on price though.
    We've too many cars and they're all f***ed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

steve06 wrote:
    ... but Alfa's loose a lot of value fast and you'd want to be competitivly priced compared to dealers, and have good photos too.

you obviously no nothing about the GT then so :)

@ AlfaSud, I've replied elsewhere for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Carzone for defo but prices dont look too healthy.

This is from the an Alfa dealer !

http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=419393

A beaut though, trying to convince my buddy its a nicer car than an 03 318ci he's lookin at. My heart says so but my judgement tells me better tbh.

Good luck Alfasud, I've seen pics of your collection btw, v nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

il second or third carzone works a treat. take some good pics. diesel should be worth more but i think the novelty factor is wearing off so prices are under pressure.

ciarsd wrote:
    you obviously no nothing about the GT then so :)

@ AlfaSud, I've replied elsewhere for ya ;)

Go and look at the prices before you assume I know nothing, as others have shown also - they loose value fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I rented a GT (Turbo diesel) last year in Italy for a week and was blown away by the car. It was a peach in all senses of the word. Quick, tidy and very comfy and well speced.

I have been looking at changing my car but have to hold on until after I get married (weddings are such a cash burn) and the GT is on my wish list along with a 3-4 year old S-class merc.

I would love to be in a position now to make an offer on it, a well minded 9-12 month old model would be perfect. Although the V6 3.2 would be a dream motor.

steve06 wrote:
    Go and look at the prices before you assume I know nothing, as others have shown also - they loose value fast.

Em, AlfaSud's car is a 1.9JTD - far more resellable and desireable than the 2L JTS.
    So I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with ya on this one :)

ok, here's 2 used ones.... €33,950
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=396748
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=397856

And here's the price new... €40,495
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=75944520040309&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

So he'll be offered about 30-31 from a dealer - I'd say that's a big drop in value.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:
    ok, here's 2 used ones.... €33,950
    And here's the price new... €40,495
    So he'll be offered about 30-31 from a dealer - I'd say that's a big drop in value.

Point taken, but the cars are of lesser spec and higher mileage than Alfasud's! And trust me, he wont be selling back to a garage and he wont be trading in - we all know how much we lose and the dealers gain that way.

Private sale on the likes of carzone to someone who cannot stretch to the RRP for a new one is definitely the potential buyer. I'm not saying Alfasuds not gona lose money - sure everyone of us in this sub-forum do on cars, but I really don't think it'll be as much as people are making out... pretty much like most Alfa threads :D

ciarsd wrote:
    Point taken, but the cars are of lesser spec and higher mileage than Alfasud's! And trust me, he wont be selling back to a garage and he wont be trading in - we all know how much we lose and the dealers gain that way.

Private sale on the likes of carzone to someone who cannot stretch to the RRP for a new one is definitely the potential buyer. I'm not saying Alfasuds not gona lose money - sure everyone of us in this sub-forum do on cars, but I really don't think it'll be as much as people are making out... pretty much like most Alfa threads :D

ye, they just have a bad rep for resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Going by the official book values:

The GT could be bought new for €38,995 in 2005. Current book value is 33K that is nearly €6,000 over the first year.

Now a 3 series coupe with 2l diesel engine. In 2005 it was €52,250 and now it is listed as €43,100. So over one year that is €9150.

So the depreciation on the GT doesn't look to bad to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

prospect wrote:
    Now a 3 series coupe with 2l diesel engine. In 2005 it was €52,250 and now it is listed as €43,100. So over one year that is €9150.

You learn something new every day. Never knew you could get a BMW Diesel coupe. Funny.
    But i would doubt if you could get one for 43,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You learn something new every day. Never knew you could get a BMW Diesel coupe. Funny.
    But i would doubt if you could get one for 43,000

I'm just quoting the Official Book Values. Can't get fairer than that.

Advertisement