Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what defines a "big club"?

• 13-05-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

at work yesterday we had a discussion about where certain players would go during the summer and some people were saying that these players would only go to "big clubs". we all know that in england, the likes of united, liverpool,chelsea and arsenal are typical big clubs but in my opinion there are more. celtic is a big club and even though we all hate them, rangers are big clubs. but what really defines a so called big club, which is the most important?

money?
    fan base?
    history?
    honours?
    size of ground?

is there such a thing as a temporary big club, like were chelsea a big club 4 or 5 years ago before the russian came along?
    even though they win f**k all, i feel newcastle fall into the big club category and given their history and stature, i also think the likes of villa and everton and even leeds, could be classed as big clubs also. any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A big club is one thats turns play into trophies - consistantly. Which is why Chelsea and Newcastle while having either money or a large fan base (albeit locally based) are not in my book truly big - yet.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think any club which is successful or has been successful in the past backed up with a big fan base is a big club.

Chelsea are a big club nowadays because they've won 2 league titles in a row but they have been successful in the past as well.

And once a club has fallen into the big club category it takes many years of underachievement before they're no longer a big club.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

JPA wrote:
    I think any club which is successful or has been successful in the past backed up with a big fan base is a big club.

Chelsea are a big club nowadays because they've won 2 league titles in a row but they have been successful in the past as well.

And once a club has fallen into the big club category it takes many years of underachievement before they're no longer a big club.
    I think that sums it up pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

A combination of all of these:

money
    fan base
    history
    honours

and i think its all relative to the league the teams play in ie. Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk are considered by most to still be big clubs in the EL, whereas people seem unwilling to say the same for Drogheda (yet) Shels and Cork would be the current crop of "Big Clubs" in the EL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Three pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think it's solely down to the fan base / customers.

Advertisement